1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

If it was only the 2 disturbing facts linked to that part of the world..

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Those two are on news at the moment, but like I said I don't get it.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I do not get reality TV like Amish maffia and Big brother..

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've been seeing this stupid Gerber Life College Plan thing a lot recently. It's the worst sort of encouraged helplessness to sell a product. Bunch of parents sitting around, acting like saving for college is rocket science or something. "How do you ever know where to start??!?!!?" they ask. Investing is SCARY people, you need some prepackaged product to even have a chance.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I saw that too, is it the same Gerber that sells baby food?

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

and then people don't get why Israel doesn't get all warm and fuzzy about trusting their neighbors

7. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

yeah, that's a lot of marketing doublespeak and borderline misleading. of course people who join match.com are more likely than "those who don't"...there's an operative bias.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

9. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

wow. paging darwin.​

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Reminds me of a late 90s anti drug ad that said something along the lines of "50% of men aged 17-25 arrested for reckless driving that were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana." :facepalm:

11. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

A lady who works in my office joined one of these sites where you pay 1k as a female and 3k for a guy to get "qualified" leads. She is quite decent the looks department yet seems to be drawn to failure as a general rule for those whom she dates. One of the three leads she has been sent since joining 4 months back told her he was really only looking for blonde/blue eyed types and actually asked to end the date early. I thought those who joined these pay sites would be happy to meet a breathing person but it seems more picky than I thought. I understand he paid a good chunk of change but this reaction seemed odd, wouldn't you at least attempt to get a shagging out of it?

12. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

This may start a riot, but...

In-car entertainment systems for children. Is it any wonder that kids have short attention spans and don't listen to their parents when we basically train them to plug in and STFU every time we get in the car?

I see their value perhaps on long trips, but even then it's a lot cheaper to hand them the iPad than pay $1500 for the installed option that's bound to be outdated shortly.

2 people like this.
  13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Completely agree with you.

14. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Men in short denim shorts. Awful, awful trend.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Even worse than this it is difficult to get certain vehicles without these things and it drives up the MSRP by around 2.5k in most models. I refuse to fund the soccer mom who will buy my off-lease vehicle!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

That's why it's on my mind - hard to find a minivan without one of these atrocities.

ib4 qfi

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When I looked at the big Inifiniti last summer they told me they never bring one in without the entertainment package...to a tune of nearly 3k. If I land at the QX next time there will be a big dealer search happening.

18. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Things I don't get: People who expect others to wish them on their anniversaries. I have extended family that does this and it drives me up a wall. Anyone have an explanation?

19. MrG

MrG Senior member

Agreed.

LowerCaseG has one of those LeapPads, and we'll deploy that on long car rides when he's becoming (understandably) antsy. However, I see no use for a system that's there full-time to be used as a later-childhood pacifier. Generally speaking, when we're in the car we listen to music, talk, etc. (you know, actually interact with our child).

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

FTFY