1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Part of how it works, I believe, is to mine info from people's contacts on other sites and services as well as LI, and play the Kevin Bacon game. I have noticed this phenomenon as well. Sometimes I am able to reverse engineer the connection, sometimes not.
    As to why: their business model depends on adding members/subscribers. So they try to induce people to sign up, sometimes with spam messages that are misleadingly phrased to suggest that a friend or acquaintance is attempting to get in touch with you.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

wtf apc? [​IMG]

3. wojt

wojt Senior member

woah seems like I own a few hip hop tshirts!

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Have you tried to contact his family ?

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

If you pay a buck twenty for a t-shirt you are an asshole. Sometimes I wonder if the 99%ers don't have the right idea and we should just immolate the rich.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Kanye. truly one of the great creative minds of the 22nd century. who else would have come up with that design?

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

He is the ultimate Renaissance man..

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Am I the only person who hates websites like Buzzfeed et al? It's rehashing of internet jokes into list format, and one of the worst ways to express an opinion I might otherwise agree with.

2 people like this.
  10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I do not understand that site, and why so many people love it. I guess because they're all sheeple.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know, I find it very annoying.

12. otc

otc Senior member

When you get the direct emails to sign up (vs the "people you may know" thing when you are already a member), it is because some asshole* who has your email address in their address book has allowed linked in to invite everyone in their book. If you are a teacher and have students moving into the job market and starting new linkedin accounts...I suspect this would happen a lot until you finally suck it up and register.

*They make it kind of hard to tell what is about to happen before it happens. My friend accidentally invited hundreds of people to linked in once. It asked to search her gmail for other people she should connect with. She said ok, and it showed her a list of contacts and asked her to uncheck the boxes on the ones she didn't want. She unchecked all but a couple people she actually wanted to connect with and then clicked ok. What she didn't realize was that they had split up her contacts into many "pages"...she had only unchecked the names on the first page...everybody else was still checked and got an invitation to join linkedin and befriend her.
    Since gmail automatically saves anyone you exchange a couple emails with...this turns into inviting hundreds of people you don't even know that have been cc'd on emails sent by people you do know.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I was about to join LinkedIn but now I think I won't

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Thanks, otc. A lot of the requests I've gotten have been from people who I had in class at one time.

What's really annoying is all the follow-up requests: "So and so is still waiting for you to respond."

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It's a pain in the neck..

16. otc

otc Senior member

Well if you join, you can probably set email notifications to off.

As long as you aren't a member, they will keep spamming you to join everytime someone you know is an asshole.

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know a girl who works for Linkedin. She's about 300 pounds.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Thank you for sharing that vital information..::D

1 person likes this.
  19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Can some one explain the point in LinkedIn, I still don't get it.

20. otc

otc Senior member

To be fair, I know a dude who works for Linkedin and he probably balances her out.