• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But most hot water heaters now still don't use a pump right? It's just water pressure from the input pushing the hot water out?
I've certainly never heard a pump kick in.

You're definitely right now that I think about it, they utilize line pressure to get the water to your faucet. Heated water rises to the top of the tank, pushed out by the flow from the bottom of the tank.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But most hot water heaters now still don't use a pump right? It's just water pressure from the input pushing the hot water out?
I've certainly never heard a pump kick in.

In most residences and small apartment buildings nowadays, yes.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

32.1 C = 89.78 F

body temperature is 98.6ºF.... if I remember right 35ºC and below is hypothermia for body temperature... 32.1ºC is well below that. homeostasis requires a very thin range of temperatures to be in a functioning state.... so if your body temperature is 89.78ºF... that probably means you're already in a deeeeeep state of hypothermia... or worse a police officer/pathologist/ect is calculating your time of death.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't more places use on-demand hot water?

I'm at home with my parents now and I can run out the hot water in a decent shower. It won't actually run out without a really long shower, but it always starts to fade as cold water replaces hot in the tank and I have to keep turning the cold water knob down to keep the shower the right temperature...is this normal? It did it with our old hot water heater as well as the new one they installed in maybe 2002. We've got pretty high water pressure and a lot of flow from the showerhead, but it still seems like it gets cold really fast.

I've been living in apartments with centralized hot water since 05 (most of chicago doesn't have metered water so they don't bother with anything besides central plumbing in old buildings)...so my hot water is always scalding-hot and lasts literally forever.

Certainly wouldn't want to take a long shower with a girl in a place with a water heater that runs out that fast...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why don't more places use on-demand hot water?
I'm at home with my parents now and I can run out the hot water in a decent shower. It won't actually run out without a really long shower, but it always starts to fade as cold water replaces hot in the tank and I have to keep turning the cold water knob down to keep the shower the right temperature...is this normal? It did it with our old hot water heater as well as the new one they installed in maybe 2002. We've got pretty high water pressure and a lot of flow from the showerhead, but it still seems like it gets cold really fast.
I've been living in apartments with centralized hot water since 05 (most of chicago doesn't have metered water so they don't bother with anything besides central plumbing in old buildings)...so my hot water is always scalding-hot and lasts literally forever.
Certainly wouldn't want to take a long shower with a girl in a place with a water heater that runs out that fast...

I replaced my hot water heater when it failed a few years ago with instant on. Just know that instant on is often more expensive than a heater (at least for initial purchase and installation but not over time) and for those with water heaters still working there's little incentive to go out and drop a grand to replace it.

And to be clear, I replaced the heater myself. Because I'm a manly man.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

32.1ºC as a body temp? you're well into hypothermia and probably already calculating time of death if a pathologist/detective/CSI guy.

You didn't read the "just under" part.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a project lying around for a month now and I haven't started calculating it and I have to send it in on the 11th, but I can't be bothered to start. :embar:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I replaced my hot water heater when it failed a few years ago with instant on. Just know that instant on is often more expensive than a heater (at least for initial purchase and installation but not over time) and for those with water heaters still working there's little incentive to go out and drop a grand to replace it.

Wasn't there something in Breaking Bad about this?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good for you, and here's how handling it non-manly get's you screwed....

We did the same thing about 2 years ago. Our old water heater was just outside the back door and in it's own little wooden "shed". As prep, I tore out the shed and the water heater and had it all ready for the install the coming morning. Note that I wasn't going to be there so I explained to the little lady everything I did and what was taking place so she could just guide them through it. I got a msg midday that it was all done and working fine.

I get home and there is no new instant-heater where the old tank used to be. In fact, all the plumbing I left for the in/out was, well, gone. (head scratch).

Me: "Honey, where's the new water heater?"
Reply: "I didn't want it by the back door since it was unsightly, so I had them put it on the side of the house so we don't see it."

Never mind that the water heater was located in the perfect, closest point to every faucet in the house and the new location is the furthest possible point from seemingly everywhere.

We now have instant hot water - oh yes we do! - but takes a one to three minutes (depending on route) to reach a faucet. And, of course, to tidy up the area they were supposed to use but didn't, they chopped off all the "unnecessary" plumbing so just moving it back is a much bigger job than it should have been.

Thankfully we live in Florida where hot water isn't quite the necessity it is in other locales...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So, the US is running deficits and all that, but the IRS will still ship forms to you - however many you want, including the shipping - at no charge. Why haven't they started charging for these? Everyone else charges. Office Depot, Office Max, Deluxe, Checks Unlimited - they all bill you for forms and shipping. Why hasn't the IRS figured this out yet?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, the US is running deficits and all that, but the IRS will still ship forms to you - however many you want, including the shipping - at no charge. Why haven't they started charging for these? Everyone else charges. Office Depot, Office Max, Deluxe, Checks Unlimited - they all bill you for forms and shipping. Why hasn't the IRS figured this out yet?

Why should they? Didn't the American people vote for and Congress just prove that supply-side is irrelevant? Just raise taxes on unpopular/outnumbered constituencies or borrow/deflate to cover the costs and be done with it.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why should they? Didn't the American people vote for and Congress just prove that supply-side is irrelevant? Just raise taxes on unpopular/outnumbered constituencies or borrow/deflate to cover the costs and be done with it.

:facepalm: I hope you are being sarcastic...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Following people on Instragram. Why do I give a **** about what filters you've applied to your photos today? This seems like the most useless of all 'following' services.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:facepalm: I hope you are being sarcastic...

Sadly,I was being both sarcastic and realistic, given the direction my fellow citizens are choosing to go. There's a point I suppose where one needs to get on board and stop fighting it, I fear I'm not far...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads