Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Being that I grew up in Queensland and America throughout my childhood, I actually find bits of Japan that remind me a lot of Australia actually, because I've come from this America-centric looking environment and Korea was mostly like China. All of the low 80's houses and buildings here in Japan, all the overland rail stations that run by flat parking lots, factory yards, lush green little areas like the area you see on the Yamanote between Harajuku up to Shinjuku - that reminds me more of Australia than anything else, riding from my house in Shorncliffe down to Brisbane CBD. Granted, all the houses are spaced together quite tightly here unlike Australia, but it's British colonial junky feeling and reminds me of my childhood often, and definitely not of America.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Great idea..

Also in the tradition of the Grand Tour , it helps boys to become men...

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I can see that, the light industrial areas of North Brisbane have that same feel but the City Centre/Valley and the Western Suburbs of Brisbane really don't. The part of Tokyo I live in is really amazing, like nothing in Australia, it is only 30 to 40 minutes from Shinjuku and there are about 500,000 people in the city yet I have a crystal clear river 20 metres from my place with big fish and turtles. I sometimes see tanuki, pheasants and other critters on the river bank. Saw a snake the other day. The golf course I play at often has monkeys on the course. One time this bird of prey (maybe a hawk) followed us around the course, it would swoop down and hover above the tee box watching us hit off, I guess it did that on at least half the holes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. fuji

fuji Senior member

As im currently on my gap year I can probably answer this quite well. Im about 3 and a half months into it and I haven't really done anything at all. I would be working, but I got fired from my job before I started it because my boss was a drug addict and forgot he hired me and hired someone else. I suppose in the summer I can do the travel around Europe on a rail card and vomit on various monuments in eastern Europe thing everyone does, but because its just the winter im basically just sleeping lots, going gym and going out a couple times a week. Oh and fucking European girls if you count English as European. Still don't think its entirely a bad idea, better then rushing into uni and spending around 35K on a graphics design degree at a shit uni and working in Tk Maxx afterwards.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I don't get how when someone is totally unprepared with no valid excuse they think saying "I'm sorry" solves everything.

it's mostly entitled women and young adults these days that have this lame fucking additude where you actually have to aknowledge their apology or else it becomes an issue.

you can't be incompetent and a victim simultaneously. apologize do the work then try to work things out afterwards.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is interesting. I found myself called out on the carpet recently and all I could think of was to say I am sorry. Any excuses I would have made would have been ridiculous. Sometimes admiting you are in the wrong is just the thing you need to do. I remember sitting there and literally saying, "I have no excuses because you are absolutely right. I cannot deny that, but the only thing I can say is that I am sorry and [it won't continue to happen in the future]"

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Tk Max ???

Poundland is offering free internship in Shelf stacking at the moment.

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Proper use of "grey" versus "gray". Need tagut the grammarian to drop knowledge.

9. patrickBOOTH

I say if you didn't go to a technical school and learn a trade, or something well, technical not going to college right away is a huge mistake. The longer one stays out of school the less likely they are to go back to it. If they do, they usually have acquired other responsibilities that make it much, much harder. I can see taking a gap between college and working mucher more than high shcool and college.

If one is living with their parents and working and saving for college that is a different story.

10. patrickBOOTH

This reminds me of a few threads that I want to start. I was always under the impression that one was more anglo than the other.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

acc to brief interwebs research, not much of a real difference, here is one theory.

Gray is a color.

Grey is a *colour*.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

The TK maxx thing was a real life example of someone I know who has his degree in graphics design at a shit uni so I thought i'd use it. Going on the doll afterwards is probably more realistic then working to be honest.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^this is the totally correct thing to do.

but its just some people who need to be acknowledged immediately after saying sorry. Its like the instant they say sorry they've been forgiven for all and need the offended/affected party(ies) to be cool instantly. Maybe if you've rectified the situation you can expect things to blow over - but not until then.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I've noticed that a lot of people who insist on being taken very seriously as arbiters of musical taste don't have any musical ability or knowledge. I mean they don't know basic things like how scales and chords are constructed or how to play an instrument. That seems odd to me. You'd think they'd be flexible in their judgments, especially when people with greater musical knowledge disagree with them. But they're not, at least in my experience. (FWIW, I'm a completely mediocre musician.)

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's the old chesnut...

Arbiters of taste is a strange concept to start with....

We can see the limits of that concept on MC where people argue ad nauseum about a tie , a suit or a shoulder...

I was having the same argument with a friend.

Do you need to know how to paint to be an art critics????

Do you need to be a chef to be a food critics???

Taste is a highly personal matter and music is part of that equation...

Your job is to find your arbiter of taste in agreement with your own musical preferences...

In one word....Yourself.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011