Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I don't know how many points I've deducted from my students' papers this semester for apostrophe errors. I tell them constantly that they need an apostrophe if they are making a word possessive, but they apparently find this idea as difficult as theoretical physics or something. How do you get to university without knowing how to use apostrophes? And how can you continue to make the same mistake over and over, losing points for it every time?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It seems that your students have a lot of flubs, and some of them really horrible. Is this a hard school to get into? Or are people in general just stupid and careless?

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

It amazes me how many people work in "salons" or whatever you want to call them that have absolutely no idea how to cut hair. I seek something a bit more "sophisticated" or "skillful" than just a one length regular men's cut, but nothing fancy for sure. How many shitty "run over by a lawnmower" haircuts do I need to suffer through before I find someone who actually knows what they're doing? And what do you do after they cut your hair and you truly aren't satisfied? I've always felt guilted into paying and tipping but in reality I feel as a consumer I should be able to say fuck it, this sux and just leave and never come back.

4. L'Incandescent

^^ When I used to have hair, that drove me nuts. I'd pay for a haircut somewhat better than what Sport Clips could give me, but I always got the same result. Of course I'd rather have my hair back if I could, but I have to admit I don't miss the hassles of dealing with salons.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Don't be scared to throw down some bones on a good haircut. A bad one can ruin a man's month.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

1. Muscle bound hairy guy at gym that always works out in street clothes.

2. Today, Muscle bound hairy guy at gym that always works out in street clothes is in the locker room using a blow dryer to dry off the sweat from his body. Thank fully with the street clothes on.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Your being to much of a hardass. Those thing's are confusing.

9. L'Incandescent

You know what 'Steve 'Smith, you might be on to 'something there.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

when I was in college, I had a professor who said he'd take 5 points for every grammatical error on our papers. He didn't fuck around.

We could make up for some of the points we lost by re-writing the same paper but using half the amount of words we did first time around.

I learned a whole lot that class.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

11. L'Incandescent

I've got a list of usage errors for which I hold my students responsible. It includes what I think are the errors that no one with a university degree should ever make. There are lots of other errors I don't penalize them for, but of course I correct them when I see them.

I try to convey to my students that they are always making an impression, and that they should be conscious of that. Of course a large part of the impression they make comes from the ways they express themselves. I don't teach at an elite university, and so most of my students did not grow up in environments where they could absorb correct English. That's why I emphasize the importance of correct English in my classes: I think I'd be doing them a real disservice if I did not help them address that deficiency. Of course there's only so much I can do, as I am not an English professor and can't devote the whole class to English usage. But I do what I can.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I like that approach because it is a solid path toward improvement. Some in your position would feed their own ego by being pedantic but that would not be helpful to the students. I would like to see the responsible list and the correction list if you have it in a format which wouldn't be too much trouble to share.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Kudos to you. I applaud you for your approach to teaching.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I don't get why we can't drink in the office all the time like they do in Mad Men.

15. L'Incandescent

Thanks guys. The analogy is not perfect, but I think of teaching as very much like coaching. My job is to get the best out of the students in my classes. Everything I do pedagogically should serve that goal, and not the goal of impressing on them how smart I am or of fueling my burning sense of righteous indignation at how stupid and lazy kids are nowadays. For reasons somewhat out of their control (and somewhat in their control too, to be honest), they lack a lot of the capacities and dispositions I'd like them to have. But if I'm not willing to meet them where they are and try to help them improve, then I have no business in the teaching profession.

Steve Smith, I've got my list of usage errors in a Word document, which I think I should be able to send in a PM.