1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You're assuming your predicate, no?

2 people like this.
  2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't understand why people would want to seem like an idiot

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's like the X Files; people want to believe. If they see something that agrees with what they want to believe they are unlikely to fact check it.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

What is truth? It is only something you believe in.

Who has the monopoly on truth?

5. E TF

E TF Senior member

Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I really don't understand why people think "liking" some cause or pseudo-real/actually fake story will make a difference.

in my personal experience it happens so much with my right wing leaning friends (to which I have many) - they'll just start posting these "Michelle Obama Supports Killing Babies without mothers consent!" articles which are so easily debunked by a simple google search.

I've given up on facebook though and don't update anything. Its useful to get into contact with people who don't have your cellphone number and to do some old girlfriend creeping though.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

People seem to think that "raising awareness" is meaningful in and of itself.

It's not just Facebook either, look at all the ridiculous Susan Komen "awareness" crap that's still going on. Nobody is getting any more aware of breast cancer from NFL players wearing pink cleats at this point.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I had never thought of that; thanks for raising my awareness of this important issue!

2 people like this.
  9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

:fonz:

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

See also: Kony 2012 and a shiatload of academic literature on "slacktivisim".

And don't get me started on Komen.

11. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  12. patrickBOOTH

People like to look like they care and are sensitive. I think it is a huge problem in society today. If you're not one of these people who talk about how horrible things are and wear ribbons and such you're not high class. People are funny. The whole, "where were you?" during horrible events I find annoying and kind of sick in itself. Yes, bad things happen, but move along, no point in dwelling, just be thankful it didn't happen to you and move along. These are not the droids you're looking for.

1 person likes this.
  13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

A short but interesting read on the subject: http://john-edwin-tobey.org/cgi-bin/ran/2013-02-07T06:19:34/ranprieur.com/archives/036.html#real

Excerpt: So here's a rule: If an emotional display comes raw from inside you, you will most likely be punished for it; if there is an emotional display that you are rewarded for showing, most people who show it will be faking it.

Also: Years ago in one of my zines, I wrote that a "real" job means a job like other people have. It's the same with a real car, a real house, a real life: Real means imitation. And now "real" emotion has come to mean the emotional clichés that other people expect. Rob comments:

The ubiquity of film and television has probably made this worse in recent years, where actors have normalized our expectations as to how people would react in certain situations.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

^^

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I don't get Chihuahuas.

1 person likes this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Today is another traffic thing: women putting on make-up while driving. More precisely, the stupid bint leaning up, forward, and to the right to look into the rear view mirror while she pats something on her face and then gets upset when I honk at her as she's half in my lane due to paying attention to her fat, mottled face vs. driving.

17. patrickBOOTH

You love hating on fat chicks, Pio.

Nobody can blame you really.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I do not hate all fat chics, really, I don't. It just seems they commit a disproportionate amount of the stupid shit I see.

19. patrickBOOTH

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I pretty much agree with the general point being made, but those quotes (all I read) make the writer sound like the sort of smug, annoying douche who goes through life convinced that the only reason he got his ass kicked on the playground so often is that the other kids were threatened by his intelligence.