1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

I love seersucker. I wear it just about weekly during the season. In fact, I wore my jacket yesterday, and I got at least one compliment on it from a random person. That said, I'm with Gib - I own the suit, but I wear it as separates. I just can't bring myself to wear the whole deal. I've seen the full suit done very well, but I just don't feel like I could pull it off.

Also +1 to lawyerdad. A lined seersucker jacket makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm joshin. I think they are fine, but they have to be paired with very sober shirt and tie. When things get too patterny they look like costumes.

3. MrG

MrG Senior member

Agreed. I generally wear my jacket with khakis, a blue button-down, and a simple, more casual, tie (if I wear a tie). The pants I wear with either a blue cotton or a white linen shirt. Very simple.

If you try to start mixing a bunch of colors or patterns, it can definitely turn costumey very fast.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I've always wanted a seersucker suit, but can't bring myself to buy one. Instead I opt for poplin or linen because I'm not sure I'd wear the seersucker.

5. patrickBOOTH

6. patrickBOOTH

We have this new Director at our company who is the definition of a micro manager. She asks excruciating questions and is dense at the same time. Not 10 minutes goes by without me hearing the phrase, "What I hear you saying is..."

Now other people unconsciously have been saying, "What I hear you saying is..."

I must hear this phrase 200 times a day and I want blow my brains out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've found people that really like this phrase use it in an attempt to reframe things to suit them. When I catch people doing this to me with this phrase I reply, "If that's what you're hearing you are not listening very well..." and repeat my initial framing of it. I then ask them to repeat back to me what I said (if they are really persistent fucks with this tactic.) I mean, used very sparingly and in the right situation, accurate attempts at re-summary really can help a conversation. Used like this though? Not so much.

8. patrickBOOTH

It can help, but in this woman's situation she just has zero confidence of her understanding of things. Nervous nelly.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

What I hear you saying is that you are in love with this woman and are looking for a way to take advantage of her lack of confidence.

2 people like this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

Hmm, maybe. I do go for the, "Angels with broken wing" types usually. You can mold them into what you want them to be. :devil:

1 person likes this.
  11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It's a buzz-phrase currently popular with the bullshit workplace communications consultant/trainer crowd, so I'm sure she was trained to do it in some seminar or workshop.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

The secret to wearing seersucker is to pretend that you are not wearing seersucker.

1 person likes this.
  13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Years ago a woman who worked for me liked to restate what I said by saying "So your fear is that blah, blah, blah..."

I would not let her do it. I told her "My fear is venomous snakes up close. This is not my fear. This is me telling you how I want things done."

1 person likes this.
  14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I wear it once a week, from Easter to late September, Usually go full suit, white OCBD, solid color dark tie (if I wear a tie). Get lots of compliments.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

More reasons to be cynical about such people!

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'd wear it as a full suit, too. I'm not a fan of seersucker worn as odd jackets or odd pants. If I lived in the south I'd probably have a suit by now.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

What I hear you saying is that it is an industry rife with smug, useless hacks, most of whom settled into it after failing or plateauing in other fields.

3 people like this.
  18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:lol: That's great.

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Why most men have absolutely atrocious taste in ties :confused:

20. patrickBOOTH

I don't know how to judge that comment being I have never seen how you dress. I have seen the car you drive, however.