1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Y'alls are missing my point. "Rock Lobster" is included among the aforementioned "other hits." It is not a song that a man should enjoy unironically.

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

"Rock Lobster" is an aural enema.

3. L'Incandescent

Too many people enjoy enemas ironically, the way a person enjoys Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Here's another thing I don't get. I had to deduct many, many points from students' papers today because they forgot apostrophes in words that are possessive. When did this become a thing? How hard is it to remember that possessives need apostrophes? Especially after I've deducted so many points for this in the past.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If they insist on making grammatical errors you should insist on grading their papers in crayon.

1 person likes this.
  5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

"rock lobster" is a fucking great song, and the b-52s have an amazing list of songs- 'songs for the future generation', 'private idaho', 'summer of love', 'planet claire', 'legal tender'... just sayin'

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

They confuse the possessive with a contraction. Texting all day doesn't help.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I

I don't understand why anyone would want to drink on an empty stomach while inhaling the various odors of the unwashed masses and sharing a tiny number of port-a-potty sized bathrooms with said masses.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

My personal gripe with "Love Shack" is its fast-and-loose approach to Athenian geography. The Atlanta Highway isn't 15 miles long in total, so I'm not certain how one would, while headed down said highway, see a sign that says 15 miles to the Love Shack.

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can't listen to Love Shack or Rock Lobster without doing a silly dance

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Obviously you have to turn off somewhere down the road to continue on the rest of your 15 mile journey. Anyway if it were Athenian the sign wouldn't use an anachronistic unit of measure.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Rock Lobster came out originally before my time but Love Shack came out during my prime years (about 1990), and songs had much greater longevity on the radio (remember OTA radio?), so even Rock Lobster was getting airplay when I received a hand-me-down Radio Shack FM tuner for my bedroom. I think when one remembers music from within its original cultural context, prior to hipsterdom, one can listen to it in an unironic (maybe even nostalgic) fashion.

2 people like this.
  12. why

why Senior member

Because all of those things are independent of drinking and would occur anyway, plus drinking serves to diminish their disturbance. I never have to take a piss on airplanes and even if I did, there's a significant difference between urinating and defecating in poor facilities. Lastly, the digestion of solid and liquid matter while seated is significantly different.

No need to be so vengeful. I am only here to help.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Different Athens. B-52s originated from Athens GA, which is where the eponymous "Love Shack" is/was located.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Around the same time people started using apostrophes to indicate plurals.

edit: apostrophe's and plural's

15. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I. C.

16. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'm older than Piob?!?

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's with all of these slack-jawed model faces I have been seeing in ads lately? Have they run out of expressions? Is this supposed to be sexy, because it is actually comical? They look really stupid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Autocorrect has destroyed my ability to remember the correct spellings of words and rules of punctuation. I just type the s at the end and let it fix itself, so easy, but detrimental.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That last photo makes me laugh every time I see it in those shitty ads on the subway. She looks like a dolt--not what you want when you are trying to sell glasses.

20. L'Incandescent

Based on context clues, it seems like we're supposed to find that expression sexy. But really, it makes the models look like they are cognitively impaired in some way. I guess for some people that registers as sexy, as it might signal a lower level of resistance to their advances.

1 person likes this.