1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I just think it is irrational and quite funny, that elevator habit. Possibly result of general misconception about good manners among population.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Lady Canuker

Lady Canuker Senior member

If anyone has a misconception about good manners it's you. My Grandfather, who is 96 and is now confined to a wheelchair, still insists woman and children precede him through doors and out of elevators. It's the mark of a true Gentleman imo.

2 people like this.
  3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I don't get Luddites who take the stairs when there is a perfectly good elevator available. What are we, cavemen?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

INORITE? And why do people insist on walking around Walmarts when they have all those nice scooters with extra fat, er big, seats?

1 person likes this.
  5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Never actually seen that, I don't live in The United States of Fatsoland, but it sounds great.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I spent the day in DC where I was talking to a woman 8-months pregnant that told me no one offers her a seat on the DC Metro when it's full. She is visibly pregnant, and guys sitting just look at her without offering her a seat. :confused:

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I largely, but not totally, blame this sort of bad manners on militant feminism.

8. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

There is a lady crawling on the treadmill at my gym. I'm not ninja qualified to get a pic but its weird.

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I am ONLY talking about STUPID things people do while misinterpreting rules of general etiquette.
    If you stand in a full elevator with your face to the elevator door you should exit first instead of backing into the elevator in an attempt to comply with your misconstrued idea of gallantry. You are holding everyone up and making a scene, which has nothing to do with you being a gentleman but everything to do with you trying to mimic behavior of other gentleman-farmers.
    The same way you should walk through the door FIRST and then hold it for your female colleagues instead of performing acrobatic, one-leg balancing acts in order to hold the door that opens inside.
    You might consider all of this extremely touching and gentlemanly while I see a rube acting like a monkey.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Quoted for truth.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

another fitness program to make the gym rats think they're above the rest and brag about how they push themselves to ungodly limits- until the next new fitness fad comes along

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I've seen people leaving the elevator and getting the door shut with them in the middle so it became a habit of mine to hold the door open button for kids, women, old folks and people bringing heavy stuff... unless I'm with my kids coz I have an irrational fear of them stepping out and me getting stuck in the elevator and it closes

14. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

There are clearly exceptions to every rule yet all this said some common sense is all that one needs to conclude if you are being a gent,a douche or some frat boy with no social grace. If you run a situation through the old "if my mother was here" qualifier it should provide some clarity.

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Significant overlap between Crossfit and Tough Mudder.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My wife spends at least one full day a month (8+ hours) "organizing" some area of the house. Despite this, she can never find anything.

edit

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

In Japan it is the done thing for the person nearest the buttons to push the open button until everyone gets out. In Australia the doors won't close if someone is half way out. Freaked me out the first time a Japanese elevator door tried to eat me.

18. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

One full day a week? A month?

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Yeah a month. Left that out :embar:

I spent like 30 minutes once a month or so and can find everything. I just have a weird memory for finding shit, a lot of my stuff is horribly organized :happy:

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I'm also terribly disorganized. But a full day of cleaning per month doesn't sound all that out of the ordinary (or it wouldn't if it actually paid off).