Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

as long as everyone's going below 30mph (congested parts of manhattan and the one lane-ed streets of Manhattan/brooklyn/queens) then riding around NYC is great. Drivers don't feel the need to pass and everyone gets along.

but when you get anywhere faster (queens and suburbs) drivers turn evil and HATE being "slowed down". its why you'll see people riding their bikes on the sidewalks in the suburbs.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This story fits the current tangent plus fits very well into something I don't get.

I was majorly into road cycling when I lived in Michigan. I mean, I'd do 6k in the season. Saturday was always my long ride day, 60-80 miles, with my cycling club. We were in the "downriver" area of the metroplex and it has some great cycling places. We would always meet at one of the metro-parks and ride through the small towns. One of the clubs members, "Big Bob, was a retired Green Beret and I'm sure you can deduce his stature from his nickname. We had just finished our meal stop and were headed through the one stop light main street and out of the little town. Bob is currently pulling and we are about one block from that single stop light. Some idiot in a dark green Miata with its top down nearly runs into him, riding the horn, and shooting the finger the whole time. Here's the part I don't get: the driver was about 5'7" and maybe a buck 30.

Predictably, he gets stuck at the stop light. Bob lays his bike down, calmly walks over to his car, and lifts him out it. He set the man down and calmly said something to the effect of, "If you continue to drive like that someone is likely to get hurt...and I doubt that person is me." He got back on his bike, we all cycled off, and the guy was left standing there with a wet spot in his pants.

What would possess a mouse of a man to antagonize a lion of one? :confused:

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

While that story is amazing and epic, here in NYC people on bicycles are just as much of assholes as people in cars are in terms of pedestrians on foot. I have a theory that wheels turn people into douchebags.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I was annoyed by this while at the grocery store yesterday. I agree with you 100% on this one.

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

nm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'd be terrified riding my bike to work here in the Maryland suburbs. Too many intersections, zero bike lanes, too many pissed off distracted douchbag drivers. It's bad enough driving.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

On more than one occasion, I have witnessed a very overweight person use the bus to travel one block. I have a lot of sympathy for overweight people, because sometimes the problem is not entirely within their control. But you've got to take care of the stuff that is within your control.

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Virtually everyone engages in some sort of self-destructive behavior. I'm not excusing it, but I feel like the obese get it worse simply because its more visible. No-one seems to think I should be denied an oxygen tank when I get older because I smoke.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

There's more people in Tokyo than all of Scandinavia.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I wouldn't say no-one.

12. celery

celery Senior member

In the spirit of fatty talk, one thing I don't get is why "real women" (and by extension "real people") are supposed to be accepted and thought of as a good thing while skinny models and celebrities are denounced for being "too skinny".

I really do hate the "real women" trend. Why is fatness acceptable and why are people constantly told that they're "just supposed to love who they are and be happy with their bodies"? What a cop out.

If anything should be the trend, it should be healthy body types that are within their optimal weight range.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

It was invented by the same people who gave us fanbase.

14. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

RE: colorway, refers to same pattern in multiple colors, eg. red/black combo, blue/white combo, grey/green combo, each would be a colorway, because the accent or contrast color changes.

I agree though, remarkably irritating term.

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

One of my aunts has an oxygen tank because of smoking induced COPD. She continued to smoke, and once set herself on fire because she was smoking while the oxygen mask was on.