Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. gort

gort Senior member

Girl I'm dating got hurt/upset that I didn't post a picture of us from over the weekend on my facebook quickly enough (it was emailed to me from a family friend who took it). I really should never be connected to anyone I date on social networking. Women take that shit so seriously it's retarded.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

PB is right, more or less. Walking vs. riding on a commute, the same amount of work is performed, albeit at different intensities, but for different periods of time. I'm not sure how all the different physics and variables work out, what with the mechanical advantage of the bike perhaps wrinkling certain variables, but I think that walking 30 minutes vs. biking 10 on the exact same commute are essentially identical from a calorie-burning and weight loss perspective.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I don't get why a morbidly obese person should get a handicap spot. I think they should be forced to part a half mile away from any entrance merely for the exercise. If it's a Donut Wheel, McDs, what have you, they should have no handicap spaces and the minimum walk should be a full mile.

While we're on the topic, electric shopping cards for fatties? Again, exactly the wrong accommodation.

4. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Some have bikes but don't ride them in the summer. Bikes are cheap here - about 100 bucks, lock included - and very, very convenient, especially considering how much mor expensive and inconvenient is driving.

Ya got me with the exercise point. Maybe that's the idea. The people I'm talking about are all teachers and never have to wear a suit. I'm an American myself and don't mean it pejoratively. But I think that in the US, there's too much tolerance of and not enough social cajoling against being overweight. They really stick out here. And they have a hard time on bikes apparently, which is inconvenient for them. That's all I meant.

Yeah theft is very rare in Japan, including expensive bikes. But people still lock them. Locks are included with your bike when you buy it.

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Bike theft is endemic in Japan. My bikes aren't worth $5000 but I wouldn't leave them unlocked.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well in Europe it seems that cities are designed to be walkable and bike-able and generally more people live closer to city centers. In America in the suburbs it is a fucking mess. Everything is at least a 30 minute drive. One of the major reasons I HATE the suburbs. I think the whole "driving" culture in America destroys a sense of community and also forsters anti-social behavior.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

There's on average stolen 75000 bikes a year in Copenhagen, in a city with 500k residents.

8. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

I hear people say this, and although I know people who've had bikes stolen, I still feel really safe with my bikes. I hate taking my Bianchi Pista into the city without a lock - but sometimes I do! When I lock it (with a Kryptonite U-Lock, sent from the US), I feel totally safe. My other bike is just a mama-chari with a normal lock. I only ride it in the suburbs and feel totally safe. Maybe if I left it in a dark lot for a few days, it would disappear. But in general, it's fine. Knock on wood.

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Your mama-chari is probably in more danger, drunk trying to get home. But yeah Japan is probably safer than most places.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

My suburb has more people than that.

11. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

US cities for the most part were designed for the car, EU cities for the most part predate them.

I'd believe your assertion that US driving culture "forsters" anti-social behavior, but you don't own one and I do so I can just crank my radio and roll up the windows til you take your dirty squeegee and wander off.

12. why

why Senior member

Nope, the same amount of work isn't performed (work in the physics sense, that is) hence the energy requirement from cycling is lower. Walking is just not as mechanically efficient unless the cyclist needs to essentially run through an obstacle course and stop and start continuously or he's riding into very very high winds or some other equally-unlikely scenario.

Regarding bike theft, I think everyone where I live just buys bikes from the bike thieves or their fences who set up a conspicuous market every Sunday. Then when your bike gets stolen (which it does eventually) you just go buy another one for 30 euros or so.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'd probably burn more calories cycling only because I'd be tense as all hell from the fear that some imbecil livery cab driver was about to blast me into high heaven.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

also, i was walking to get a haircut last year but my commute was disrupted by the aftermath of a cyclist who was run over. Run over by a cement truck.

15. why

why Senior member

American drivers do not know how to handle cyclists. I'd wager it's even better where you live in NYC, so just try to imagine how bad it is in other cities.