Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Is it possible to have a delicious steak, salami or piece of fish if you are a Vegetarian?

If not, then that is what is missing.

2. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Twitter. I seriously do not understand its popularity.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

don't think its an overreaction, and please don't force your advocacy to everyone, specially if you're not footing the bill, and don't go tweeting something that you know will create a negative reaction and then act like a surprised martyr later on.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I have nothing against vegetarians of vegans, do whatever makes you happy.

I do have a problem when they tell me I should feel bad for killing animals, this also applies to animal lovers who get but hurt when someone does something to a dog or cat but are unaffected when the same thing happens to a duck or squirrel. GTFO with that shizz.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Can we all agree that if anyone says their are a vegan they should not be allowed to post Yelp reviews?

6. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Unless your friend said to you in person "God is such a bitch, she just made it so that we aren't having any meat." then all you have to go on is speculation. Hence, overreaction. That said, if she's a vegetarian and he isn't, it does make more sense to split it and offer both. But I have a very strong feeling if both people were vegetarian you and gort and your ilk would still be bitching and taking up arms.
    I'll assume you were speaking in general terms and not pinning this on me because I don't do that nonsense.
    This I'm unaffected by, who the hell reads Yelp?

7. Piobaire

I think I looked at Yelp three times in the last couple of years but I've recently turned to Yelp as a guilty pleasure. Reviewers are just so stupid. Favorite one so far was a one star review because on her second visit to a place the soup du jour was not the same. :facepalm:

:laugh:

I mean, how stupid can you be?

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I gotta say, I hate me some preachy assholes in either direction.

If you don't wanna eat meat, don't, but don't make other people give it up.

If you wanna eat meat, do, but don't make other people eat it.

Thats kinda like only serving pork and clams when your Jewish inlaws come over, after going to their house and demanding bacon.

I'm just saying, whether its the wife or maybe a good friend or relative of hers that can't abide the sight of meat, its not gonna hurt you to not eat meat for one day. I understand why you're pissed that one person dictates the whole event, but there's no need to escalate. Just eat a cheeseburger before and after.

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Don't get this either. I was a fairly strict vegetarian for 18 years, but I always stayed far away from most forms of faux meat. Tofu corn dogs were / are my guilty pleasure but they're not actually emulating meat anyway.

Are you paying for the meal? If not then STFU and eat what they give you.

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

The blatant hypocrisy of people that do stuff like this is what gets to me more than anything.

I eat stuff like mock duck, tofu, etc. somewhat often. It's A: a great source of protein, and B: a substantive part of many meals. For example, I can't imagine what a Thai curry dish would be without some sort of tofu, etc.. it would take a lot to be filling.
    :nodding:

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Because there's nothing else to cover.

12. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

Holy fuck - a good friend invites you to his wedding, and you refuse to go because they decide not to serve meat?

It's their wedding. It's their day. They can choose their meal, and a friend would celebrate with them whatever they chose.

I don't consume meat or other animal products. But I have been to several weddings with ham on the bone and no vegan options except bread and salad. I don't kick up a fuss or complain. I eat beforehand and afterwards and keep a smile on my face throughout. It's their day, and no one gives a fuck if I don't like their choice of food.

Same should go both ways.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

13. bmac11c

bmac11c Senior member

Don't let the meal selection be a determining factor to go or not go to a wedding. There's at least two reasons to go...Booze and Chicks! Seriously though, even if you don't like the bride, you should go to be there for your "other" family. Not going can put a strain on your relationship with them.

14. gort

gort Senior member

You shouldn't make guests at your wedding miserable. A vegetarian wedding would almost be as bad as a dry wedding imho.

I went to a wedding last year for two vegetarians but they served meat because they knew everyone would want it. They did manage to sneak in some preachy smug remark on the little menu cards about their views on food, though.

15. Piobaire

I think some of you are forgetting where Acid is. He's in the Philippines. Celebrations are really, really about food there and celebration food means meat. Longanisa, lumpia (with meat)...a nice crispy lichon...I'm hungry just thinking of it. Also, sounds like she's a bit of a bride-zilla so this might not be viewed as context neutral by folks close to the situation.