Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Turks and Greeks are crazy drivers..

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    You will see a lot of crazy driving in Mexico City too. I once had a cab drive me backwards at night, in the pouring rain, against traffic for a couple of blocks because he missed a turn.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hate the beach. I would much rather hang at a cafe, or bar in the A/C. Fuck that stupid sand.

As I replied to LawrenceMD back in this thread. It is always a Latino guy, or a Native Bro-Yorker with an attitude.

So true on all accounts. My girlfriend just came back from Cambodia and she said she heard probably 3 honks in six weeks and there are like zero traffic laws. They just use the horn appropriately whereas in New York it is used to call somebody an asshole.

Ok, now this I really don't get. If our body temperature is 98.6 why do we start sweating in the high 70's and 80's? Shouldn't we feel perfectly fine in 98 degree weather? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. patrickBOOTH

When my father was a teenager something fucked up in his car and it would only go in reverse. He drove with his friends from Nassau Coliseum to Northern New Jersey backwards. He said people were honking and laughing and shit because the car would only go so fast in reverse.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I like cafes and bars and all, but I hate people, so when it's hot as balls out the last thing I want to do is be around more gross people.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Depends on where you are from. In South Texas an 80 degree day feels wonderful. Try doing a couple months straight of 100+...

7. patrickBOOTH

I don't believe that you hate people.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

but I do. Genuinely.

I like a handful of people, granted, but I'll mostly default to GTFO.

9. patrickBOOTH

But one thing people in the south don't understand about the heat in new york is the oven effect of the buildings and blacktop and brick and such. Also people walk much further distances and use more public transportation than people probably anywhere else in the country, so when it gets hot and humid you have to bear the hell out of it. It isn't like most other places where it is air conditioned house to air conditioned car, to air conditioned office. We have to bear the heat for much longer stretches. On top of it all electricity rates are much higher in NYC because of the dense load pockets and largely underground system that is costly to maintain (which also happens to be the most reliable in the nation), this means some places won't run A/C because it is expensive as fuck.

10. patrickBOOTH

See I love people, but when you piss me off I get livid.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this. And most of our movement isn't in grassy knolls, it's on the hot pavement/sidewalk.

And when it's hot and hasn't rained, the heat really helps to lift up the scent of dog urine (presumably dog urine) that took 7 minutes to evaporate.

12. patrickBOOTH

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

True the beach sucks. Cafe or bar with a view of the beach for perving on bikini girls FTW.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'm so glad I bought a car last year... I use it as my personal air-conditioned pod on days like this. I'll just pay for parking if I'm going somewhere and park as close as possible to where I have to be.

"taking a cab" is a gamble too - because sometimes those motherfuckers just roll down their windows and you still sit in a hot leather lined box. You're going to have better odds that the subway will be nice and air-conditioned (but you have to go underground and sit in the stifling heat while waiting for it).

as to your question about sweating even when its below 37ºC/98ºF? its all about humidity, evaporation, and the maintenance of 98ºF. to maintain your core body temp you have to have your skin sweat and evaporate. to evaporate the temperature must be lower on the outside of your skin - and the air must be drier.

The higher the humidity the more impediment against evaporation - the more chance of having your core temp going higher than normal - and eventual "heat stroke". 50% humidity on a 80ºF day? bad day to exercise outside.... but you'll be fine in situations like dry heat (think las vegas) with temps well above 100ºF.

dry heat you have to worry more about dehydration (just as dangerous).

so it sucks to be out in the heat. air conditioners do exactly as describe (they take the moisture out of the air and blow dry air at you) cooling is only half of the equation.

eventually though your body acclimates (takes about a week to two weeks) and you can actually perform pretty well in the hot and humid - its why american football has two a day practices in the summer... and why southern girls are described as "warm blooded" and are super slutty.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

If I can see that you are fiddling with your purse, putting on make up, playing with your phone etc. I will do a little mep like look up.

I have tried several times at green turn signal, where the line didn't move at all do to the car in front, was doing god knows what.