Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

A friend of my father told me his favourite thing about the financial crisis was that he got a carte blanche from the board to fire anyone he didn't se as a necessary part of the organization. Needless to say, a large part of the HR department was let go within weeks.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

HR: where competence goes to die.

4. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

I actually have a couple of friends that works in HR, and they are both pretty smart guys. But the story's they tell about some of their co-workers.....

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That's really weird because hiring/firing of staff is an operational decision and not a decision any board would make nor have the authority to. The board only has control over the fate of one employ: the CEO.

FYI, the CEO should have been the first one fired if he had so many people that were not "a necessary part of the organization."

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For my company the board needs to approve all executive changes.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I don't get why in Washington DC its illegal to park on street corners:

[​IMG]

when nightime rolls around you'll see about a 1 1/4 car length space on each corner throughout the city. supposedly the meter maids are strict if your car is a little over the no parking sign.

8. Piobaire

"Large part of the HR department" is not this though.

I would also be surprised if they actually had to approve it vs. getting buy in from them. A smart CEO does not make major decisions without buy in from his board, or at least his officers, but I've yet to come across a corporate structure where a CEO could not officially hire and fire whoever he/she damned well pleased. That's not a way to keep your job for long but that's the actual structure I've always seen. I'm sure there are probably boards as you described but I can say I have no little experience in this and that I've never come across the situation where it's not just good politics vs. actual structure. IDK...maybe my experience is too limited and that's how it works at bigger companies? Still not sure as I've also read endless stuff on "role of the board" type stuff and everything I've read has the CEO as the sole position the board actually hires and fires. /shrug

As to the rest of what I said above..wtf? Dood is running a company that employs a bunch of useless people and the board needs to give him direction to rectify that situation? Not a good executive, IMO.

9. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

It's a family owned company, and as far as I have understood, the board (who consists of mostly members of the family and some loyal staff) pretty much makes all the decisions (micromanaging ftw). I have no idea how large the HR department is (or rather, was) though... It's only something he mentioned in passing.

10. Piobaire

Not going to make an issue of it but I'll just say if they're making all the decisions they don't need a CEO. I also have no idea how a CEO could function when members of his own staff are in effect his boss as directors of the corporation.

Anyways, cool story.

11. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

As far as I know you can be correct about the buy in vs approval... Sounds a bit more likely I guess.

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

online retailers that only allow returns for store credit/exchange, even when the items have clearly not been worn. Then when you go to use the store credit the bastards issued and your item qualifies for free shipping (3 times over free shipping requirement) they CHARGE YOU A SHIPPING FEE. WTF is this.

I looked at their policy and it is stated so I have no one to blame but myself, this is the first time I encounter such bs and I do a lot of online shopping.

13. death shot

death shot Senior member

Why Tres Bien has to push XXL Magazine

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Line of sight, inconveniencing pedestrians, women drivers.

I wouldn't park on street corners myself anyway, increases the likelihood of having the car dented by an idiot driver.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Piob, I'm with you on this, I've never known of a board that had to approve fire/hire decisions for non-executive level personnel. I'd hate to be CEO of such a company.