• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Former classmate posted a gofundme link on facebook for their friend whose $2000 laptop that "they had just finished paying off" was stolen from a car...which is extra frustrating because they also have to pay to fix the car windows and because it "took him a long time to pay off". They're trying to raise $3k.

call me cold hearted but...if you need to put a laptop on a payment plan, wtf are you doing buying a $2000 one? This isn't 2002...You can get perfectly serviceable brand new laptops for $500, and they can even play games (maybe not at max settings).

$2k laptops are basically luxury purchases these days...the new 14" macbook pro, high end gaming laptops, etc.. I'm struggling to think of any scenario where you'd need to own such a beastly machine for professional purposes, but simultaneously can't afford one.

You just learned an expensive lesson...don't replace it with another laptop you can't afford to lose.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get perfectly serviceable brand new laptops for $500
They probably DID pay $500 for theirs...
1643765963987.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you mean to post this in the “things that are making you happy” thread?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not as comfortable as he hoped?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former classmate posted a gofundme link on facebook for their friend whose $2000 laptop that "they had just finished paying off" was stolen from a car...which is extra frustrating because they also have to pay to fix the car windows and because it "took him a long time to pay off". They're trying to raise $3k.

call me cold hearted but...if you need to put a laptop on a payment plan, wtf are you doing buying a $2000 one? This isn't 2002...You can get perfectly serviceable brand new laptops for $500, and they can even play games (maybe not at max settings).

$2k laptops are basically luxury purchases these days...the new 14" macbook pro, high end gaming laptops, etc.. I'm struggling to think of any scenario where you'd need to own such a beastly machine for professional purposes, but simultaneously can't afford one.

You just learned an expensive lesson...don't replace it with another laptop you can't afford to lose.

You're probably right, bur there is an outside chance that work as some sort of graphics designer or have need for Adobe products and work for a ****** company that won't supply the computer.

I run Adobe suite on my $2500 Sager laptop specced for gaming, and I'm glad I don't have to make do with a $500 laptop. Would suck.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're probably right, bur there is an outside chance that work as some sort of graphics designer or have need for Adobe products and work for a ****** company that won't supply the computer.

No shot. They are gonna try to make some extra $ and afterwards....poppin bottles with models!

weekend-party.gif

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I run Adobe suite on my $2500 Sager laptop specced for gaming, and I'm glad I don't have to make do with a $500 laptop. Would suck.
Nah, I just don't think that's true.

Maybe not $500, but you can get a perfectly capable Adobe machine for $1000 or less. Above that price point you are either paying for exotic gaming hardware that doesn't really benefit a graphic designer, or you are paying for smaller size, better built, etc. (plus the Apple tax if you go that way).

And if you need more power than a $500-1000 laptop can offer, you probably shouldn't be using a laptop...
Also anyone who has a job that requires such hardware should be in an income bracket that doesn't require "a long time" to pay off a $2k laptop. If your time is so valuable that the speed boost of a MacBook pro 14 is worth it over a 13" Air, then you should be getting paid for it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I just don't think that's true.

Maybe not $500, but you can get a perfectly capable Adobe machine for $1000 or less. Above that price point you are either paying for exotic gaming hardware that doesn't really benefit a graphic designer, or you are paying for smaller size, better built, etc. (plus the Apple tax if you go that way).

And if you need more power than a $500-1000 laptop can offer, you probably shouldn't be using a laptop...
Also anyone who has a job that requires such hardware should be in an income bracket that doesn't require "a long time" to pay off a $2k laptop. If your time is so valuable that the speed boost of a MacBook pro 14 is worth it over a 13" Air, then you should be getting paid for it.

I think this is probably all true, but I also prefer desktops to laptops in general.

I dont know about a cheap machine with INDD though. I've done some 80-100+ pg spreads with graphics that would be not great on most lower end laptops.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all about that monitor size, baby. I like em wiiiiide.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about that monitor size, baby. I like em wiiiiide.
Why have 1 wide one when you can have 3 slim ones?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone who gets a face tattoo is, by definition, not a good recruit.
So I guess no Maori-Americans then, huh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads