Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's funny, but my teaching experience just makes me realize what a terrible student I was originally. Everything was mandatory in high school, and between doing the mandatory shit and being smart, I never needed to "study" or be externally motivated. Then I hit college and really had to learn how to manage my shit. It took awhile. Obviously it worked out for me, but it's painful looking back at the mistakes.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That's a worst case scenario. You get the same (shitty) teaching that the normal kids get, have to do all the (shitty) exercises they have to do, then do MORE stuff on top. What a way to encourage bright kids, that. Probably a nightmare for the students too.

I loved GT classes, and the Honors stuff in high school. Probably the best part was being around other smart kids. Less distraction, better interaction, no scorn for being "a nerd", the teacher can teach to a much higher level. They were better than the AP classes even.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, I shouldn't speak for all of Texas, this is the case in our (poorly-run) district and probably others as well. That said, I agree on the benefits of GT / Honors classes

4. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

My turtleneck is navy :)

I elected not to do it because I really want to avoid looking corporate/business casual in Iceland. Its just not how they are from what I hear, and I'm already going to stick out like a loud american.

Good call

Got something similar.

I think -5 C is about as cold as it gets. I've lived through worse.

I'm really more worried about Iceland ATM, where it is apparently warmer than Denmark or Norway (which seems weird). I'll take that under advisement for year 2, when I'll be in Oslo first semester and Arno or Copenhagen second.

+____________

TY for the advice everyone. Found the jacket I need, kinda split the options. Will post pics tomorrow.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Arno?

It's not uncommon for there to be snow on the ground in stockholm and Oslo in April, the warmest we had up until this week (26c during the weekend) ,was 13c and a couple of weeks ago, the chill factor was close to 0c due to strong wind, so bring lots of knit. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012

6. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

This winter wasn't so bad, but in the winter before that we regularly had temperatures down to -30 c... As Liam is saying, Iceland is actually warmer than Norway during the winter, but you are guaranteed to see the temperature drop well below -5 c quite regularly.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

You know, this post made me realize that MrsG and I are way too diligent about mitigating any inconvenience our son may create for others in these types of situations. I'm thinking we're passing up prime opportunities to get away with being complete a-holes.

I don't know about entirely child-free flights, but it has long surprised me that no one has "family" sections on their planes. I mean, we toss people off for having an enormous ass, but no one wants to help passengers be sure they're not sitting next to a screaming infant.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

This is because you aren't crass buffoons. And I'd like to think most of the people silently thanking you would act the same way, but I'm losing faith.
    This sounds like a logistical nightmare. Apart from a few peak times, most of the travelers are not business people. At those times, there still may not be enough volume to fill up a family section, so now you either start forcing families into weird hours that they don't want, or you start losing those seats. I mean, I guess people could willingly choose to sit there, but I kind of doubt it.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This all treats the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself.

Kill off the assholes in this world.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm pretty sure that one of the middle eastern carriers, have begun to offer it and there's also children free resorts (not those kinds of resorts, normal ones)

I was in Sao Paulo last year, where I was sitting at the gate waiting, the airport has been designed, so you're are fucked as soon as you pass through security, no kiosks etc. only food and tax-free.

The gate is completely packed and a mother with a 5 and a 7 year old decided to sit the row in front of me.

10 min later the kids start using a 5 cm diameter rubber ball and one of those small airport tables to play ping pong, in completely disregard about the fact it's packed aiport.

The mother then leaves, leaving the kids to their own devices, numerous times they throw the ball and them self across the isle where people walk, expecting everyone else to move for them. Then they hit my bag with my laptop in it and 2 min later I just manage to move my head or I would have been nailed in the face by the ball, the mother came back 20-30 min later, without any bags, food or anything. :brick:

Luckily I had changed my seat from the outbound flight or else I would have been sitting next to them for 16 hours.

11. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Aarhus, for some reason I keep renaming Danish universities.
    0c is about average for a normal winter here (Its been much warmer lately) so I think I should be fine. I also spent three years in Laramie, where it got to -20 and -30 (F) at night pretty regularly, not counting the windchill.. I'm sure I'll be okay, but I endorse this as an opportunity to buy ALL the sweaters.

12. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Of course you'll be fine. People live there year round their entire lives without any problems. Anyways, good luck, I'm sure it will be a great experience. And just shoot me a PM if you are looking for any particular info on Oslo.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't understand those colleges that are only for black people, or only hispanic and such. Is it just me, or is that racist? :confused:

14. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

No, pBoops, you're racist for asking that. Only white people are capable of prejudice.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you can go to a college for black people if you want...