Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

News reporters and anchors are often just as bad. I don't get this either. :confused:

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ I mean it is their JOB ya? They get paid to be unprofessional?

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

I think I said it before (haven't we all): I seriously don't get women.

Some girl at the office got pissed off at me for being mean to her. Then got pissed off at me for being nice to her. Then got pissed off at me for not talking to her.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

They talk good.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I almost subscribed to this insane CGI site. The previews were insane. I think I bought a tie instead.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

@indesertum I guarantee that those using these "adverbs" ( or often adjectives in place of the adverb ) incorrectly have no idea wtf a flat adverb is... and in many cases I'm sure even what a regular adverb is. "we must play more aggressive", "he will shot quicker", "they're not playing good", "he'll think different next time" and on ad infinitum. I'm not the grammar police by any means, and I naturally speak more casually in casual environments (such as this.. SF). But professionally speaking, when it's one's job, and when that ubiquitous usage influences others to speak incorrectly that is a problem. The real harm here is on children who emulate and mimic these speech patterns... they are not taught correctly at home or in school and we wonder why only 25% of high school kids can pass writing proficiency. Don't even get me started on math skills.. jfc.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

@indesertum & kid nickles

As a journalism student nearing graduation in December, I can tell you right now why they don't.
    AP style (the style used by any self-respecting news outlet) and Chicago style (eff the Tribune) is moving away from the use of adverbs, as they feel like they are "weak" words. I had a class once my freshman year and we weren't allowed to use an adverb a single time or we got docked 15% for each usage.

I hate it. Adverbs are one of the better (not best) grammatical tools in any writers tool box.

I don't like it either, I'm just telling you what the prof's are teaching.

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

The blind leading the blind in this thread.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Another factor to consider is that kids are reading fewer books, and the writing quality online is often terrible. I don't think it's really necessary to teach grammar formally beyond a very low level, since people intuitively pick up the forms if they do enough reading. But if you either don't read, or read shit, you're not going to have those skills.

My writing ability has been altered severely and not entirely positively by all the scientific writing and reading I do. I miss writing with a little more artistry involved.

Was that a jouralism class or what?

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

What the hell is a mandatory donation? Isn't that called an admission fee? I just want to watch the damn dogs race...

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

after that video i started checking ly verbs every time to see if there was a flat version. the rest of the series are really entertaining and informative

whaaaaaaaaaa
    adverbs can be nice if they add useful information to a sentence that would otherwise not be there. but i do feel like adverbs like very and really are overused and unnecessary most of the time

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. cahlersmeyer

Yes, its like JOURN 104 or something like that. Its the first journalism writing class you take in college to get rid of bad habits that high school teachers give to young impressionable students. Things that are opinion, saying someone "He coughed, 'Hello.'" because you can't cough something, but you can say something while coughing, etc, etc.

14. cahlersmeyer

But I'm a Public Relations major, and we write entirely differently than anyone else in the Journalism program. We're more "creative writers" and "journalism writers."

I write how I want to in a PR situation. I let the creative direction dictate the body copy, not the other way around.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think this thinking is entirely dependant on what kind of industry you are doing PR for. For example, social media vs. bankruptcy law.