• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oddly enough I've been accused of plagiarism a lot. Kinda irritating.

FWIW, I never accuse students of plagiarism unless I have found the texts that they plagiarized from.

as well you shouldn't. I was accused of plagiarism once by some jackass professor who always kept his Harvard alma mater coffee mug on his desk obviously thinking he was hot ****. His contention was I quote "undergrads can't write this well." As a scholarship student and friend of the dean I told him "meet me in Dean R's office tomorrow afternoon and prove it." Got an A on that paper and never heard a word about it again. :nodding:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as well you shouldn't. I was accused of plagiarism once by some jackass professor who always kept his Harvard alma mater coffee mug on his desk obviously thinking he was hot ****. His contention was I quote "undergrads can't write this well." As a scholarship student and friend of the dean I told him "meet me in Dean R's office tomorrow afternoon and prove it." Got an A on that paper and never heard a word about it again.
nod[1].gif
When I supposedly plagiarized a paper it was the same explanation.

Also, I wound up in a similar situation because o fa test.I once was accused of cheating on an exam, too, because I got a raw score of 100, after the curve and getting all but one extra credit question I got 115 out of a possible 120. As a non major in a technical "advanced" class, the professor was enraged and insisted I had to be cheating. I told him I hadn't, he was incredibly rude, went as far as yelling at me, calling me a liar, and threw me out of his office. I contacted the dean, met him in the deans office, removed my socks, shoes and cap, then rolled up my pantlegs, sleeves, turned all my pockets inside out and asked him to inspect my pencil before I began the exam.

The dean turned purpler than the kid in willy wonka trying not to bust out laughing. My score was higher the second time I took the exam, as I got the last extra credit question correct. The look on that professor's face was ******* priceless.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm a small-timer, but I really cannot even imagine spending that kind of money on groceries. I think "aspirational grocery shopping" is exactly right.
+1

I spend 75 a month on groceries for me. She usually comes in around 120-130. I recently found out this is abnormally inexpensive, much to my extreme shock.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

How do students not understand how easy it is to catch them plagiarizing? Good Lord Almighty, when you start riffing on Kantian metaphysics, and the distinction between phenomena and noumena in particular, you have to understand that I'm going to be just a wee bit suspicious. This is the first paper I've graded today; we're not off to a good start!

Hmm. My response may take many directions from here. Do I start with the utter lack of quality control in primary education, or the 'sit-n-get' regurgitative methods that stretch back to the 'rote' memorization days of the Greeks? Still pondering. Perhaps the fecklessness of youth might be a better angle, exploiting the sheer volume of work that lies ahead of you and underestimating the degree of scrutiny you'll apply to each paper. Also as a sub-point, the idea of collective guilt may be acting as a shield against individual consequences: if everyone's plagiarizing, then I guess your hands are tied since they're betting you won't fail the whole class.

Also, in my experience most professors don't even try to catch them. Oddly enough I've been accused of plagiarism a lot. Kinda irritating. I also remember there was this one girl expelled after she turned in four papers (out of eight for the class) with huge sections copied directly from other students. She also got caught cheating on an extra credit assignment in another chem class that semester. She successfully appealed the expulsion on the grounds that since both incidents occurred around the same time, she "hadn't had time to learn her lesson." And they bought it.

P.S. - You know there is a program that will search the web for a passage a prof feels is plagiarized?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Why are drinking fountains in public parks always broken?

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I always assume that they're turned off due to water wastage, abuse or something like that. It seems like it would be really hard to break a water fountain.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The "kiddy pool" thing around the corner from me, is turned of due to security reasons, they are afraid that people are going to drown in 15cm of water and it has to be gated and have lifeguard present (where is Darwin when we need him)

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1

I spend 75 a month on groceries for me. She usually comes in around 120-130. I recently found out this is abnormally inexpensive, much to my extreme shock.

Yeah but you do **** like "eating nothing but a five pound jug of almonds for the day."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't get Whole Foods. Its so expensive and they still get struggling 20 somethings just out of college fooled into spending around 25% more on groceries than they should.
I actually see mothers just go hog wild and end up buying $500-$1000 on groceries there and in makes me sad to think that they may be doing such a thing as "aspirational grocery shopping".
Trader joes is actually cheap even compared to the regular supermarkets. And regular supermarkets like stop and shop have improved greatly when it comes to offering "healthier" alternatives.

I bought a rib-eye here for more money that I could have paid for a cooked one at Peter Luger's. I guess I was curious. I have been going to the Meat Hook recently. Expensive, but not WF expensive.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a rib-eye here for more money that I could have paid for a cooked one at Peter Luger's. I guess I was curious. I have been going to the Meat Hook recently. Expensive, but not WF expensive.

I was at Ridge Hill Shopping Center, the wife and I were looking at some possible dog breeders up there. It has things like an Orvis/LL Bean Store and the grocery store there was a Whole Foods.

It looks like they are trying to set up a high end shopping center there, and looks to be a pretty good set up in the making.

Even if that area does have rich neighborhoods, it still has regular working class citizens and students too - so I was sad to see some working class family and starving students spending a boat load on groceries there.

I never thought that I'd live to see aspirational grocery shopping.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I definitely feel a certain presumption while food shopping at any of the well known places. I think I feel the most offput by the Trader Joes shoppers. I feel like they are looking me up and down and checking out what I have in my cart and in their mind going, "Psssh frozen vegetables... what a tool." At the same time I see another chick checking out some skinny dirtbag because she notices he has all of the ingredients to make his own hummus or something. WF and TJ seems like places to be seen, or at least seen on the L holding the bags. The Rich shopping at TJ pretending to be poor and the poor aspiring to be rich holding the WF bags. At the same time everybody pretending not to notice.

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you do **** like "eating nothing but a five pound jug of almonds for the day."

Usually only when I'm too tired to cook. Normally I just eat a diet based on pulses and rice or root veggies, I do eat a lot of nuts for protein, and I'm accustomed to only eating meat once or twice a week (chicken more often).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I definitely feel a certain presumption while food shopping at any of the well known places. I think I feel the most offput by the Trader Joes shoppers. I feel like they are looking me up and down and checking out what I have in my cart and in their mind going, "Psssh frozen vegetables... what a tool." At the same time I see another chick checking out some skinny dirtbag because she notices he has all of the ingredients to make his own hummus or something. WF and TJ seems like places to be seen, or at least seen on the L holding the bags. The Rich shopping at TJ pretending to be poor and the poor aspiring to be rich holding the WF bags. At the same time everybody pretending not to notice.

I must be devoid of everything. I literally pick up the crap I want, be it frozen dinners, steel cut oats, greek yogurt, Joe Joe's, etc and don't pay one bit of attention to the crap other people are buying. I just look for cuties.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I must be devoid of everything. I literally pick up the crap I want, be it frozen dinners, steel cut oats, greek yogurt, Joe Joe's, etc and don't pay one bit of attention to the crap other people are buying. I just look for cuties.

I see the hippies judging me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads