Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

Yeah, I don't get real estate agents either.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Never had this but beer and clamato juice is fantastic when you're in the mood for it.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

how ridiculous is it when you "speak" English and the producer feels it necessary to add subtitles... lmao. I've noticed this more and more on History, Nat Geo, Discover channels etc on various regional and/or niche shows...

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

How do students not understand how easy it is to catch them plagiarizing? Good Lord Almighty, when you start riffing on Kantian metaphysics, and the distinction between phenomena and noumena in particular, you have to understand that I'm going to be just a wee bit suspicious. This is the first paper I've graded today; we're not off to a good start!

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Hmm. My response may take many directions from here. Do I start with the utter lack of quality control in primary education, or the 'sit-n-get' regurgitative methods that stretch back to the 'rote' memorization days of the Greeks? Still pondering. Perhaps the fecklessness of youth might be a better angle, exploiting the sheer volume of work that lies ahead of you and underestimating the degree of scrutiny you'll apply to each paper. Also as a sub-point, the idea of collective guilt may be acting as a shield against individual consequences: if everyone's plagiarizing, then I guess your hands are tied since they're betting you won't fail the whole class.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

6. L'Incandescent

I think everything you say is right. In addition, most students have unspeakably awful writing skills; that means they really cannot recognize stylistic differences in writing. To them, the inserted portions of plagiarized text don't seem incongruous at all with the parts they wrote themselves. (Or with the other parts that they plagiarized!)

7. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

In my experience most professors don't even try to catch them. Oddly enough I've been accused of plagiarism a lot. Kinda irritating.

8. L'Incandescent

I suspect you're right. It does create extra hassle to deal with those cases, and so a lot of professors probably just choose the path of least resistance. Of course, many students also choose the path of least resistance. This is a problem.
    FWIW, I never accuse students of plagiarism unless I have found the texts that they plagiarized from.

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Due diligence is a good thing. The three times I've been accused of cheating the prof was way out of line and couldn't prove anything because I'd not done anything. I think the thing that shocked me most when I got to college was the discovery that professors are just as lazy and asinine as normal people....

10. L'Incandescent

Update: four papers graded, three substantially plagiarized. I'm going to set a personal record for Fs in a single class.

EDIT: And another one. I've never seen anything like this.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Will the students fail the course or just the paper?

12. L'Incandescent

The course. This is a big term paper that is supposed to reflect what they have learned over the course of the semester. The funny thing is that this is an applied ethics class for Mass Communication majors (journalists, marketers, PR, etc.).

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Future journalists, marketers, spokespersons, etc. plagiarizing a paper for an ethics class? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Sad.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Ethical lapses sound right on par with modern day journalism, marketing, etc. YMMV.

15. L'Incandescent

The class watched Shattered Glass, the movie about Stephen Glass cooking up a bunch of stories at the New Republic. Man, those students were outraged at Glass's wrongdoing! It's a little bit funny in retrospect.