• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things you just don't get

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still don't get this virus thing. With all of the thousands of people who are being tested positive daily I still know nobody who has been tested. It is definitely a conspiracy of some sort.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 8 million stories in The Naked City

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that in NY?

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that 70 years later, NYC still has approximately eight million residents.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So we know that there’s an extremely stable equilibrium point - only 8 million people in the world are willing to tolerate that level of misery

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's be fair. In 1970 it was like 7.8 today it is like 8.4. I guess it depends on what you mean by "approximately 8 million".

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was in elementary school. I was always poor at math and I thought on this one particular math test I would get credit if I just wrote "approximately" before my numeric answers I would still get credit. I didn't.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever think maybe some people have more than 1 story:rimshot:

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was in elementary school. I was always poor at math and I thought on this one particular math test I would get credit if I just wrote "approximately" before my numeric answers I would still get credit. I didn't.
Best thing that ever happened to me was being poor at math. When I laid out piping sections to be fabricated in the shop I always triple checked my calcs because I knew I was prone to common math errors. Saved me from hardly ever returning a section to be cut up and rebuilt that had taken 100 man hours at $100 an hour to build the first time. Guys that were good at math were overconfident and made errors way more than they should have. That made the boss:cry:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too bad I'm poor at math and overconfident.

For me it is mostly mental math. I am always counting fingers. I work with some people who's brains are just incredible at that. Not me.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys in the trades say " I cut that piece three time and it's still too fuckin' short"

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m pretty good at math except when it’s balancing a balance sheet. I have never suxcessfully balanced a balance sheet in my entire life. Thank goodness for partial credit

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be fair. In 1970 it was like 7.8 today it is like 8.4. I guess it depends on what you mean by "approximately 8 million".
How about eight million, plus or minus five percent? That covers most of 1950-2020, aside from around 1980, when the population dropped to barely 7 million.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.