• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What ******* lobbying association got miniature horses put in the same category as dogs and cats? Whoever it is deserves a god damned raise.

The head of the FAA’s daughter really likes miniature horses.

Reaction score
My new colleague cleans out dust bins and the dust collectors of the grinding machines we use, to the absolutely finest, cleanliest degree!

This gets me really confused. I mean ok, you have to clean the workshop and empty the collectors- but hell, NOBODY is going to eat out of it. Do people have too much time? dont they care staying longer at work? do they LOVE cleaning so much? Is it a mental disorder?

honestly, thats what i dont get.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do people have too much time? dont they care staying longer at work? honestly, thats what i dont get.

I know/knew people like this. They came into work early and stayed late. They didn't have to and we would often say...GO HOME.

There are people who don't have any family, don't have any friends outside of work or really anyone/anything in their lives. Work is what they love or need to survive and be social.

In many cases, it's not mental. Work is their life/crutch.

Don't knock it(I know you didn't.) Some people have complex situations.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A66FE176-6DD2-432F-A063-5C9A96A970CC.jpeg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I know/knew people like this. They came into work early and stayed late. They didn't have to and we would often say...GO HOME.

There are people who don't have any family, don't have any friends outside of work or really anyone/anything in their lives. Work is what they love or need to survive and be social.

In many cases, it's not mental. Work is their life/crutch.

Don't knock it(I know you didn't.) Some people have complex situations.

I know a 95 year old shoemaker who still works 5 days a week (at 90 he cut back from 6 days a week).

The sad truth is that he can’t stand his wife, who is also still alive in her 90s, but he won’t divorce her ‘cuz he’s Catholic, and work is his refuge from her.

She didn’t even go to his 95th birthday party. How weird is that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My mentor, may his name be a blessing, worked five days a week through his 70s and 80s. He was still going into the office daily until he passed at 91. He and his wife also were very busy socially until just before they both passed within short order of each other. Season tickets to the university b-ball games, known at all the best restaurants, etc. Lives well lived.

Reaction score
I know a 95 year old shoemaker who still works 5 days a week (at 90 he cut back from 6 days a week).

The sad truth is that he can’t stand his wife, who is also still alive in her 90s, but he won’t divorce her ‘cuz he’s Catholic, and work is his refuge from her.

She didn’t even go to his 95th birthday party. How weird is that.

Seems that runs in the profession. My ex boss is a first class workaholic to the point of his family life and health being impacted by it. Sad to see something like this. But it also takes its toll on others, that is what decreases my empathy and pity for such people.

I also have a bit of a streak, working late hours and going on when i am into a project. But i know when to stop. (getting only three hours of sleep per night cant go on for too long) and do something different.

On my new colleague: She isn't working that much more, but it bewilders me that you clean out things that get dirty the next moment you just turn on the machine. It makes no sense no matter what way you look at it. But yes, i didn't show it to her. i just shoveled the dust out, leaving the collectors open so she could do as she pleased. And yes, ter1314- she seems a bit like such a person.
She is also very easily annoyed by other people at work.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back in the day, I worked at a steel company in LIC, Queens(NY). The drivers and shop workers were Teamsters and I got along with all of them...including when we busted each other's chops.

I would notice a few of the drivers/plant personnel getting in early, 4-4:30am. Then I would notice those same dudes hanging around the office after they were done for the day. They would BS with some of the women, talk sports, ***** to me about how their trucks were loaded that morning, offer to make a run/delivery at the last minute, etc.

A few for those guys eventually would stop by and tell everyone that next Friday(or whenever) was their last day. They were retiring after 35+ years. It was always sad to see some of these characters go.....and I only worked there for 2.5 years.

A few months later, on several occasions, my plant manager would call me in to his office and there would be a few other people there. He would say....Mr XYZ passed away. We were shocked. Why? What?

He would tell us that his wife/family said that he was miserable sitting around at home and they felt that his body just shut down. This happened several times.

Some people love to work, socialize at work...and yes...hate being home with the wife/alone. I never knock it even though, for the most part, I am the opposite.

Life, and an individual's situation, is complex and not easy to read from afar.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started with my company in a group where most people were 20+ years older then me. So now they’re mostly retired. Everytime I see someone around town, it’s amazing - they look 10 years younger than when they left. It’s a recurring joke among us, really.

I don’t particularly think we have a high stress job, but...can’t argue that retirement seems to suit my former colleagues

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would retire if I could afford to buy a house far enough away from any engine noise. :(

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just played the Powerball(lottery). If I hit tonight.......work?

giphy.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads