• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

“There’s a biblical term that many Christian schools use, and it is the whole idea of grace: What would Jesus do?”

I'm shocked that the chairman of the board of the Association of Christian Schools International seems to be an ignoramus who just recycles phrases and thinks they're biblical because he's heard them so often.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of girl who is out getting knocked up at 17/18 also dreams of going to ******* Bob Jones University?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
What kind of girl who is out getting knocked up at 17/18 also dreams of going to ******* Bob Jones University?
I get the incongruity/schadenfreude/whatever, but (at least without knowing more details than I care to) I'm not sure the getting knocked up part is where the weirdness or hypocrisy attaches. Lots of kids (religious and not) are ********** at 17/18. Presumably, that's true of lots of kids applying to places like BJU. The getting knocked up part could just as well reflect bad luck, typical teenage stupidity, or whatever just as easily as above average sinfulness.
“There’s a biblical term that many Christian schools use, and it is the whole idea of grace: What would Jesus do?”

I'm shocked that the chairman of the board of the Association of Christian Schools International seems to be an ignoramus who just recycles phrases and thinks they're biblical because he's heard them so often.
Made even funnier by the fact that he has the one thing he's supposed to know something about completely ass backwards. Even a heathen like me knows that the concept of "grace" in Christianity isn't about guiding our mortal behavior - it's all about the idea that God gave us a hall pass because he's a mensch even though we're too ****** to ever earn one through our own behavior.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, that's just one of the things that struck me as odd (but I know...not that uncommon in fundamentalist christian groups).

I take no issue with or pass no judgement on 17/18 year olds ********** (and going to a super conservative christian school is a great way to get awful sex ed. and not understand birth control/pregnancy), but I generally assume the sex-havers don't really have a lot of choice in the matter of their education. Its not like at age 12 they were like "Mom, Dad, I need you to take me out of public school and place me in a fundy christian private school"...They might still have a lot of faith, and have conflicted feelings about their extra-curricular activities...they are probably the kids who are looking forward to being out from under their parents wing and free to explore life.

So it just seems extra odd for me that an academically gifted girl who has shown herself to be interested in the desires of the flesh...would pick a school that literally bans dancing as her dream school.

But, I also know that in some fundamentalist communities, the mere existence of non-christian colleges is barely discussed...there is no other way.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, BJU requires students to check back in every night by 10:25pm (10:55pm on Friday/Saturday! Woo!)

Lame.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of courses at BJU might go a long way toward not ending up with unwanted babies

Reactions: otc

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or intramural coed sports

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interviews on television news have been a thing like basically since the beginning of television news. And yet somehow we still do not have a best practices about what to do at the end of the interview. The host will say something like "And we'll have to leave it at that. Thank you Senator Welba." But then one of two things happens. Either Senator Welba says nothing and there is awkward silence or else he says "Thanks for having me, Wolf" while Wolf is already introducing the next segment.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Thank you for your service". Don't ,just don't

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to google, the word that Wisconsinites misspell the most is "Wisconsin." (That is where I grew up.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics