Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Piob's post reminds me: once I was at the Saks in Cincinnati and the staff were treating me with much, much more solicitude than I'm accustomed to. After a while, one of the staff asked me in a very respectful tone if I was Tom. It turns out that Tom Ford was having a trunk show there for the Private Blends, which were quite new at the time, and they thought I was representing the company. I've always wondered if they really thought I was Tom Ford. (No, I don't resemble him even a little bit. Unfortunately.) It's the only time in my life I've ever gotten VIP treatment.

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Trad dress.

3. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

how there are so few ties I like.
    went through like 8000 high end ties on ebay, refined by maker, material, pattern, color etc.

Saw like four I'd consider buying.

I don't have good taste or anything, I'm just confused as to how a 25 year old who is that picky about neckwear wound up with 50+ neckties.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ I don't get how you looked at 8,000 ties and only came up with like 1/100th percent of them you'd buy. srsly? what do the 50ish so ties you own look like?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

5. Kid Nickels

that's cool.... and no offense to you in any way but 99.9% of people in Cincy wouldn't know who Tom Ford was if he were walking down the street with a huge billboard over his head that said "I'm Tom Ford" with his wiki page attached to it.

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

honestly? Shit. I'm getting rid of all but eight, and I only actually LIKE two of those. Most of them were presents from family who think Donald Trump is the best brand on the planet. The rest were a result of my annoying tendency to buy cheap stand ins til I can find something I like.

What I want right now is a dark green or navy blue tie with mop colored or gold dots, seven fold, from a brand I trust, and the spacing a d size of the dots
    has to be right.

7. Kid Nickels

:lol: Trump is a fucking hypocrite ... he bitches about our economy and the influence of the Chinese in our markets and yet he has all his shitty, fuck-all ties made there. Anyway, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Nordstrom Rack are all places you can get great ties for cheap... even in the $15-$30 range I've picked up RLPL, Faconnable, Ted Baker, Guy Laroche, BB, Ferre etc and in the $40-$75 range Dior, Valentino, Versace, Ferragamo etc. I've got nearly 100 ties almost all of which I like and wear... but almost none for which I paid retail. :nodding:

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Maybe I'll go to a TJ Maxx today. There may be a marshalls in the area, not sure.

In any case I really need to unload the rest of these ties.

+1 on trump hating.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Reserve auctions on Ebay, especially ones with a BIN. I sniped something, was the only bid, but was under the reserve. Item was relisted, but I still don't know what the stupid reserve was and the seller won't tell me. Does that ever work out better for sellers? I guess they're trying to get people emotionally attached to the item so they bid against the reserve, but it never seems to accomplish that.

10. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Do you sell pipes and tobacco or just cigars? I love the smell of pipe smoke, cigars are quite nice too. Cigarettes can fuck off.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

12. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

We sell all smokeable forms of tobacco I'm aware of (other than those bidi things). I've personally spent a good bit of time bulking up our pipes and pipe tobacco offerings.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I will not buy this tobacconist's; it is scratched.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am a notorious tie hater. I will say that you have to really look at ties in person at a store to know for sure. There is a reason most of these ties are on ebay, irreguardless of brand. The worst of everything is generally what you find on ebay for accessories and neckwear.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I will post on a topic that in today's PC world should not be mentioned. The standard reply, in defence of what I view as being against common sense is, "She should have that freedom." The answer is, "She does. It's just I should have the freedom to look at what is being offered up for display."

Why do women of a certain mindset get upset if you look at their tits when they are dressed in such a manner as to draw attention to, and offer up for display in the most enticing manner, said tits? I mean, if I had a nice set of tits and did not want people to look at them, I would not go out of my way to wear bras that accentuate my cleavage while pushing them puppies up and then wear low cut shirts to show off the results of that bra.