• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Betimes when I am at work a warning appears on my computer be like "Must Needs Download New Software On the Double Lest There Be Damage!!! Download Now!!!" But I am not allowed to download these things onto my work computer. I hope someone in Central Administration is aware of the dire warnings I am receiving. Seems like they must be because my computer has never stopped working (functioning).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
People regularly give me reports and briefings and such in PowerPoint slide format, even though we're not holding a meeting and there isn't going to be any side show. What the hell is that about?
Apparently nobody learns anymore how to present information in any format other than a bunch of clumsy slides with redundant headings, goofy indenting, and a bunch of fragment sentences. I don't need 38 pages of faux slides where one new nugget of information is introduced every third or fourth page. Just write a ******* two-page expository memo with complete sentences and no bullet points. :teach:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

People regularly give me reports and briefings and such in PowerPoint slide format, even though we're not holding a meeting and there isn't going to be any side show. What the hell is that about?
Apparently nobody learns anymore how to present information in any format other than a bunch of clumsy slides with redundant headings, goofy indenting, and a bunch of fragment sentences. I don't need 38 pages of faux slides where one new nugget of information is introduced every third or fourth page. Just write a ******* two-page expository memo with complete sentences and no bullet points. :teach:
I'm bothered by this as well.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the idea of two pages instead of 38, but you lost me with the bullet point hate.

Bullet points >>> paragraphs

lawyerdad

Reaction score

I like the idea of two pages instead of 38, but you lost me with the bullet point hate.

Bullet points >>> paragraphs

Sure, for communicating like this guy:

Actually, I use bullet points a lot. I'm just being contrary because it's the pissed off thread.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullet points are great for getting the information across at a glance...

...if whoever's writing them isn't a frigging marsupial.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conversation from today:

Person: Did you know that the word "envious" comes from NVS, which stands for "Not Very Sociable?"
Me: It is not really knowing if the thing you "know" is false.
Person: No sound it out, NVS sounds like envious.
Me: Well that settles it then.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol: **** if I know man… that's just weird. I have never experienced that, but some people are totally tunnel vision when it comes to doing certain tasks… like "this is the way I've done it so that's the way I do it."

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol: **** if I know man… that's just weird. I have never experienced that, but some people are totally tunnel vision when it comes to doing certain tasks… like "this is the way I've done it so that's the way I do it."

99% of public servants.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

99% of public servants.

Do you work in public service?
I see this **** all the time in the for-profit world. It's a function of human nature, not particular institutions (although is probably more engrained in large institutions generally).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My company is annoying as hell with slides. We have to put everything in slide decks and it is mostly to present internally. 90% of my time is making slides look pretty while the other 10% is on the material.

I have a rule that I never want anything handed to me. Just tell me in words. Have a ******* discussion give me facts and don't waste your time making fancy slides.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I see this **** all the time in the for-profit world. It's a function of human nature, not particular institutions (although is probably more engrained in large institutions generally).

People don't like to have to think, create new ways, etc. I don't think it can honestly be expected out of the vast majority of employees...nor really do you probably want it. Much of getting things done is having a stable of drones you can wind up and let them do what they're programmed to do.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why can't my co-worker cry to my other co-worker about her marriage troubles in the conference room or my boss' office (he's out for the day)? Not that I really mind (I find it amusing...unfortunately), it's just strange.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anymore I am seeing people on Facebook be describing the fun acts what they did and then adding "and what did you do today?" Betimes I reply to their posts by saying "I did tasks of labor today like a grownup."

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, any organisation where it has a stable monopoly and 0 need for movers n shakers will have a large group of employees resistant to change. These are typified by public service here where everything is by the book and very safe employment with near guaranteed payrise every year.

Another example are our energy distributors. They own the grids, government set the prices, their only functions are to maintain assets and bill retailers.

You know a place is full of people resistant to change when most of their people have been their for at least 15 years.

Businesses in highly competitive markets know change is a must to survive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads