• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just can't understand...

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
To the bolded section: get over yourself. You were clearly just looking for a fight from the first post. I think most people reading my original post on merging knew the situations I was speaking of. I am sorry I actually gave you want you wanted for a few posts but no more.

You only said:

Why do some people seem to think a "Yield" sign actually is a "Stop" sign?
Which is stupid, beause sometimes it functions as one. You made a blanket statement which is incorrect in many situations (which you did not define).

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Various gym behaviors:

1. Women who wear jewelry (and lots of it, based on the example today);
2. Men who do not shower after working out and then return to their offices;
3. Working out in your work clothes (shoes, trousers, shirt, and tie);
4. You wipe off the machine AFTER you use it, not before you use it. Thanks.

I saw all four of these today.

b

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

I can't believe anyone would really do that. I'm stupefied.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you write that backwards?

millionaire75

Reaction score
Various gym behaviors:

b

There is a group of 3 guys who do #2 every day at my gym.....I don't quite understand it....they smell AWFUL....

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
^Why not do both?

Well, yes, doing both is probably the best option. But for the courtesy of others, you wipe the machine off after you have used it.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I can't believe anyone would really do that. I'm stupefied.

Bowtie and all. I swear. But no jacket. He made at least that concession.

b

itskub

Reaction score
When watching a foreign film with subtitles someone cites a phrase, proverb, sentence, etc. that has a rhyme in it. How does it rhyme in one language as well as in English.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
I only am in the left lane to pass, or alternately, when the density of traffic necessitates it. If I am in the process of passing four cars with a semi trailer at the front, I will be getting over to the right lane as soon as I reach a time when I can maintain my speed in that lane without getting over again. Impatient people are going to whip into the right lane, always without a turn signal, and try to pass between me, a car and a semi in front of them. It's incredibly dangerous and illegal where I am.

I guess it's just impatience in general; I look several cars down the road when I drive so I know what's coming up. When people whip around me, they aren't seeing that they'll just have to slow down anyway because of the car in front of me. They just have to play Fast and Furious and be dangerous on the road. People who you are passing on a 2-lane highway that speed up when you're on the oncoming lane are dangerous and irresponsible; I slow down when I'm being passed in those situations so people can get over quickly.

And for the record, whenever I am in the left lane and see a car approaching at a higher speed behind me, I try as soon as possible to get into the right lane and let them pass me.

Dude, srsly, get the **** out of the left lane.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

Did you read my post?

Go back and read it again.

I get out of the left lane as soon as I can. If I am passing eight semis on a highway in Indiana and you think it's a good idea to try and squeeze onto the right lane in between semis and then pass in front of me, know that you're the only one who sees the brilliance of that. Truckers will actively try to prevent this from happening because it's incredibly dangerous and stupid to try to pass like that. After I get past all the vehicles going slower than me, I get into the right lane.

Now calm down, smoke a cigarette and walk around a bit. You're taking the internet too seriously.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wha? That is a description of perfect left lane behavior...how the Autobahns function wherein the main law is, translated, Drive (to the) Right!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Did you read my post?

Go back and read it again.

I get out of the left lane as soon as I can. If I am passing eight semis on a highway in Indiana and you think it's a good idea to try and squeeze onto the right lane in between semis and then pass in front of me, know that you're the only one who sees the brilliance of that. Truckers will actively try to prevent this from happening because it's incredibly dangerous and stupid to try to pass like that. After I get past all the vehicles going slower than me, I get into the right lane.

Now calm down, smoke a cigarette and walk around a bit. You're taking the internet too seriously.

Here in Jersey, it's always some guy with an out-of-state license plate dilly dallying in the left lane for miles doing 60 mph while a colony of cars waits behind him itching for him to get out of the way so they can do the customary 80.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Wha? That is a description of perfect left lane behavior...how the Autobahns function wherein the main law is, translated, Drive (to the) Right!

I'd respond to this if I knew what you were talking about.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Jersey, it's always some guy with an out-of-state license plate dilly dallying in the left lane for miles doing 60 mph while a colony of cars waits behind him itching for him to get out of the way so they can do the customary 80. I'd respond to this if I knew what you were talking about.
Isn't 'Left-Lane Dick' a NJ-developed phrase, or is that just Jim Gearhard's term? Anyway, I know that specimen well from too many rides down the pockmarked 287, but if hival's telling the truth, he isn't one, as he posted that he gets out of the lane when another is overtaking him from the rear. Anyway, what I was saying is that hival's description of his driving is essentially, "stay to the right except when overtaking, and move out of the way if anyone is overtaking you." There is a German law, which, literally translated, is "drive right" which codifies this principle (and unlike the U.S. is strongly enforced both by culture and the police) -- i.e., if more people drove this way, our roads would be better! ~ Huntsman

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Various gym behaviors:

Never seen #3, though I've been meaning to try it in thrifted goods just to see what people would do. Worst I have seen is someone getting of a treadmill only to put a tweed blazer on with sweats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics