1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just can't understand...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fade to Black, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Biscione

Biscione Senior member

- '+_'. That is, why people here give numbers to each other. I don't see what's to gain. It seems like a juvenille way of giving kudos, but that's just my opinion (and I'm not a native speaker or familiar with all of modern American culture).
    - Drinking laws in America.
    - The appeal behind most sexual fetishes.
    - The appeal behind most modern music.
    - How much certain things cost.
    - That other individuals often find what I consider to be cheap (generally in terms of clothing) to be very expensive, when they're well off.
    - The tastes of the majority.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

- '+_'. That is, why people here give numbers to each other. I don't see what's to gain. It seems like a juvenille way of giving kudos, but that's just my opinion (and I'm not a native speaker or familiar with all of modern American culture).
    I think you're talking about "+1"ing a certain post. It just signifies agreement with the post, nothing else that I'm aware of. It's like adding a vote. Sometimes people +1000 or whatever a post in hyperbolic over-agreement.

3. Biscione

Biscione Senior member

But then, what's wrong with "I agree"?

4. robin

robin Senior member

--, or alternatively, !

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

We 'mericans love efficiency. Why the extra letters when you can +1. [​IMG]

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

+1

7. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

yeah i don't see what's wrong with "+1" i've started using it since i came to this forum, i find it a very efficient way of stating your agreement with something.

8. Biscione

Biscione Senior member

Maybe it's just because I'm not American.

9. ikemen

ikemen Well-Known Member

another one - like hell i would understand why someone would find sandra oh pretty?!

i mean i respect her as an actress and i love her work on TV, but she just isnt pretty... just go ask any asian

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

another one - like hell i would understand why someone would find sandra oh pretty?!

i mean i respect her as an actress and i love her work on TV, but she just isnt pretty... just go ask any asian

or Amerikajinda [​IMG]

11. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

People that are 3-4 wide on the sidewalk.

Fixed.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Body is not bad. Hit it from behind. But yeah, not a face you want to wake up to. Ditto Padma Lakshmi, who rather resembles Aahnold in the face if you look closely.

13. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

People that buy clothes that are already threadbare and/or have holes.

14. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Also, you get to be meta by writing "plus one".

15. username79

username79 Senior member

Something similar happened to me yesterday with some yokel's large SUV where he tried to speed up when I signaled to pass into his lane. Then he gave me the finger, the whore.
    Just merge anyway.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Just merge anyway.
    Merging brings up a whole new set of foolish drivers--people who drive so slow you actually have to brake significantly to allow them to pass, or crazed people who thinks this is Road Atlanta.

17. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I live downtown in a large city and how the hell do I still see wild animals roaming around? Today I saw raccoons and turkeys!! Like seriously, how do they manage to breed?

18. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Last night, as I was getting into my friends car, he mistook me for turkey.

I don't get it Andre, I don't get it.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Merging brings up a whole new set of foolish drivers--people who drive so slow you actually have to brake significantly to allow them to pass, or crazed people who thinks this is Road Atlanta.

Agreed. Why do some people seem to think a "Yield" sign actually is a "Stop" sign? What logic dictates that it will be easier to merge into traffic going 75mph by coming to a complete stop and slowly waddling into traffic?

20. username79

username79 Senior member

Agreed. Why do some people seem to think a "Yield" sign actually is a "Stop" sign? What logic dictates that it will be easier to merge into traffic going 75mph by coming to a complete stop and slowly waddling into traffic?

Wow! A yield sign is a stop sign, if there is traffic already in the lane that can hit you.

I was going 75mph in the right lane of a two lane highway when someone came to merge on the highway. There was a yield sign. I could not merge lanes to the left (someone next to me.) This driver pulled out at about 30mph. I had to brake hard and then take evasive action to avoid a collision. The merging driver should have stopped in this case and nearly caused an accident.

That's the logic.