• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you collect

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Move enough times and it'll break you out of a collector mindset.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That's what every hoarder says.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

seattlefromson

Reaction score
Besides, if I am a collector, so what? I may be trying to "fill a void," but then again so is person who drinks or smokes --I don't drink or smoke, for the record.

I don't really think that having a hobby is harmful.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I collect antique typewriters, which I keep at the office. I sometimes joke with clients that my office doubles as "Dave's Home for Wayward Typewriters." Several of the ones I have were dropped off by clients over the years who noticed my collection and thought "hey, I've got one of those in the attic I never use. Might as well give it a good home."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wristwatches
art (19th century and post 1945)
pens
scale models of passenger liners
pottery and art glass
porcelain "boxes"

My interests wax and wane. And I doubt I'm a serious collector. A true collector in any of the above fields would be disappointed in my collection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anything that I can afford that falls under roman and Greek "classicism ", than watches, "classic" guns, rock and classical music vinyls, European old stamps

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wristwatches
pens
pottery and art glass
porcelain "boxes"

My interests wax and wane. And I doubt I'm a serious collector. A true collector in any of the above fields would be disappointed in my collection.

Now we’re talking. RSS, can I see your pens?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wristwatches
pens
pottery and art glass
porcelain "boxes"

I have a very modest collection of art at my home--mostly by local artists, almost all of whom I know/have met personally. I seriously doubt that any of the pieces I own are/will be "valuable" but I think they are beautiful and I like to look at them (which I believe is the foremost value of art, anyway). :) I enjoy going to museums as well, where I can gawk ignorantly at great works.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now we’re talking. RSS, can I see your pens?
I'll take a photo or two in the next day and put it on here. But as I said, a true collector isn't going to be impressed. I rarely go above a standard Pelikan piece. I just like pens. Moreover I use them ... and ... uhhh ... sometimes "misplace" them. I don't want a pen that would bring tears if lost.

I have a very modest collection of art at my home--mostly by local artists, almost all of whom I know/have met personally. I seriously doubt that any of the pieces I own are/will be "valuable" but I think they are beautiful and I like to look at them (which I believe is the foremost value of art, anyway). :) I enjoy going to museums as well, where I can gawk ignorantly at great works.

Liking and wanting to enjoy what you have is what it's all about.

As noted I have some 19th century pieces but also some modern pieces. I have met most of artists whose works date from mid-century (20th) or later. I lived in the Northeast in the 70's and socialized a lot in the art scene of that time. And while I have a masters in art history I imagine that many serious art historians would not cotton to everything I have. My taste tends to be eclectic. I have works that range from abstract expressionist (Lee Krasner) to landscape (Russell Chatham). I'm a big fan of Chatham. Like you, I collect what appeals to me. If it doesn't, I don't want it.

One of my favorite pieces is an Icon written by Dimitris Kolioussis of Thira. The subject is mother and child. Some years back I gave it to an Episcopal Church in Berkeley and it lives at the head of their north side aisle. I used to see it often but now that I'm mostly in Washington State, I miss it. I still have a St. George & the Dragon written by the same artist ... so that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Koliossis_StGeorgeAndTheDragon_02.JPG
    Koliossis_StGeorgeAndTheDragon_02.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is Dimitris. When I am his way I love to sit and talk with him and his wife over a coffee or a glass of wine.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
My rule is that everything I buy has to have a resale value.

Jesus, what a horrible rule. And you even italicized everything. Hats off to capitalistic America. And you and yours.

As for me, I collect souls. Mostly at night. Lock your windows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads