• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you collect

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been around for a while ... remember a lot of names.

I think it was RJman who made this one up way back when. That said, I feel ill at ease being linked to Manton. And there he has Mike on the left and yours truly on the right.
that was vox sartoria. back in the days before... the unease you mention... today that pic is like Michael Corleone's flashback to family dinner at the end of Godfather Part II...

... and contra vox I have not attained moksha or godhead.. rather I am prey to samsara, the endless cycle

as for me, I collect regrets... steez (nowadays with a focus on frog steez) and regrets... slowly getting rid of a vast collection of books about men's steez. a most shameful hobby.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that was vox sartoria. back in the days before... the unease you mention... today that pic is like Michael Corleone's flashback to family dinner at the end of Godfather Part II...

... and contra vox I have not attained moksha or godhead.. rather I am prey to samsara, the endless cycle

as for me, I collect regrets... steez (nowadays with a focus on frog steez) and regrets... slowly getting rid of a vast collection of books about men's steez. a most shameful hobby.
Of all the SF members I have met, I'd put you at the top. I always saw you as close to enlightenment or emancipation.

I too collect regrets. Some years back I was at a retreat and the person teaching a class I was assigned was telling us of a little trick she uses to diverts the insults of others. I remember sharing with her that I am not concerned with what others do to me; but I do have regrets about the harm I brought to others over the course of my life. I live this over and over. It's time to let go.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to collect less than making sure that the examples of the things that I have are particular and particularly suited to me. But if quantity and study combined convert an assortment to a collection then I probably collect knives, rocks, wood, guns, art deco antiques, barware, scotch, sauternes, and cars (if having two fair-weather-only cars is a collection).

shooting clay and above all currently hunting.

What do you hunt? IIRC you are in Scandinavia or at least Northern Europe.

I've been around for a while ... remember a lot of names.

I think it was RJman who made this one up way back when. That said, I feel ill at ease being linked to Manton. And there he has Mike on the left and yours truly on the right.

Not an unreasonable to feel ill at ease in this circumstance. Also been arround a while and remember a lot of names in this thread.

-H

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to collect less than making sure that the examples of the things that I have are particular and particularly suited to me. But if quantity and study combined convert an assortment to a collection then I probably collect knives, rocks, wood, guns, art deco antiques, barware, scotch, sauternes, and cars (if having two fair-weather-only cars is a collection).

What do you hunt? IIRC you are in Scandinavia or at least Northern Europe.

Not an unreasonable to feel ill at ease in this circumstance. Also been arround a while and remember a lot of names in this thread.

-H
Geese are a pest here, so then year round. In season it’s hare, duck, pheasant, wood pigeon, roedeer, wild boar.

Im currently in talks with a group owning land where hunting boar would be easy, and it’s just a 10 min drive from home. Otherwise it’s a drive to Brandenburg in Germany, which isn’t a bad thing in itself.

fwiw, I was around too when those names where. I’d feel ill at ease with the association with manton too given the last few years.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. But hey ... Lefty, Piobaire, RSS, RJman, Dopey... what's the difference? ;-)

That is fun. I don't like killing but I do like shooting.
A bit of time between responses, but this thread has a slow oldtimers reminiscing feel to it anyway :)

I’d say that it’s relatively easy to differentiate between most of the forum stall wards. In that sense it’s disconcerting how much you can learn about someone online. But I do notice that over time I care less about revealing stuff that i know cannot identify me.

regarding the killing, it’s not something I do lightly, and for sure not just for sport. The guys I go out with make it a point that everything we kill that is edible, is eaten. I get uncomfortable with those that just want to kill, but don’t care about the food part. If you’re prepared to shoot and kill the animal, you should have the guts to butcher and prepare it too.

Oh, and I forgot one thing both the wife and I do collect. Every place we visit together we buy a local cookbook from.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit of time between responses, but this thread has a slow oldtimers reminiscing feel to it anyway :)

(In a quaking halting voice). Why I remember when I could buy a Savile Row suit for three figures ... and a nice little Mercedes was only four figures. ;-)

Regarding the killing, it’s not something I do lightly, and for sure not just for sport. The guys I go out with make it a point that everything we kill that is edible, is eaten. I get uncomfortable with those that just want to kill, but don’t care about the food part. If you’re prepared to shoot and kill the animal, you should have the guts to butcher and prepare it too.
I would not fault you for it. A good friend hunts and he supplies my kitchen. As for me, I have too many memories of wounded game that I then had to kill at close range while we were eye to eye. I found that VERY difficult. That said, we do have wildlife where I live. Some of it can be dangerous. There are places on my land that I don't venture without a gun. But usually a shot into the air does the trick.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like to collect electronics gadgets.
I'm guessing you are younger than I am, because I curse most electronic gadgets. Just today my darn iPhone decided it no longer recognizes me. I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a new one and let the seller do all the work. **

**Two hours wasted ... but it's working again.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The line between 'collector' and 'hoarder' is a fine one.
It may be a fine line ... but I fear I'm well over the line when it comes to tailored clothing. It's time to thin.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoes, wrist watches, saxophones, mouthpieces, amp and mic gear, and g-string underwear

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly collect books, limited blu-ray boxsets, and knives. Used to collect watches, and wallets, but I now just use my Galaxy for most of that ****.

IMG_0286.jpg

5896.jpg

47861_2_THE_BIRD_WITH_THE_CRYSTAL_PLUMAGE_ALT_UHD_3D_US.png

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
This is a weird question but, how do you control yourself from overspending or how do you stop from collecting?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not so weird! by happenstance i discovered a category that i was found i was interested in. bought some things, lived with them. now here's the key: sold some things, and been rolling it forward on that basis since. there is no stopping only shaping.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to add this to my Teddy Bear collection. It's by Huntsman. Except if I go in to get it, they'll start talking coats ... I'll see cloth I like ... and I'll end up in the poor house.
HuntsmanTeddy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads