• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you can do *right now* to improve your appearance.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a list of low cost/ time things you can change or improve to help your appearance? The obvious ones would be to stand up straight, smile more, maybe get more sleep, etc. Does anyone have some good tips?
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
smile more, look people direct in the eye, listen more, greet people before they do first, remember names.

yeah, sounds trite, but i find out that the more influential people ive met at work and in my life usually do all of the above. and they look or seem (to me at least) overall more attractive than others who dont.

howardu09

Reaction score
*Brush your teeth after every meal
*Keep a fresh haircut
*Wear clothes that fit
*Wear colors/styles that complement your color/body type
*Drink water
*Sleep
*Eat fruit
*Be happy
*Be nice to people

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
smile more, look people direct in the eye, listen more, greet people before they do first, remember names.

yeah, sounds trite, but i find out that the more influential people ive met at work and in my life usually do all of the above. and they look or seem (to me at least) overall more attractive than others who dont.

+1, I've been working on this over the past year and have gotten a good response, and feel better about myself. The simling thing is a little weak since my natural expression is pretty neutral, but I'm working on it. It's nice to see the cheap/free things that make a huge difference, on a forum dominated by materialism.
bounce2.gif

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by howardu09
*Brush your teeth after every meal
*Keep a fresh haircut
*Wear clothes that fit
*Wear colors/styles that complement your color/body type
*Drink water
*Sleep
*Eat fruit
*Be happy
*Be nice to people

All the above. Plus frequent to gyms to stay fit.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tan (Mystic spray on in about 4-6 hours) and a hair cut. Moisturize.

Lowndes

Reaction score
I believe two of the most important are: (1) wear clothes that fit well; and (2) keep up with basic grooming, i.e., haircut, fingernails, teeth, shave, etc.

Also, I would like to second being nice. That seems to be lacking in our society today but is a very simple thing to improve others perception of you. Simply treat others with respect and give them the benefit of the doubt.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
A tan (Mystic spray on in about 4-6 hours) and a hair cut. Moisturize.

If you want to look like a tangerine Mystic tan is the best way to do it.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
If you want to look like a tangerine Mystic tan is the best way to do it.

They do have various settings. Some people go too far and if they have a light complexion and go dark they will look orange.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Along with exercise and a positive attitude, I agree wiith howardU09's list.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
smile more, look people direct in the eye, listen more, greet people before they do first, remember names. yeah, sounds trite, but i find out that the more influential people ive met at work and in my life usually do all of the above. and they look or seem (to me at least) overall more attractive than others who dont.
Smiling more is definitely a huge one. Would you ever approach or smile at a girl who looked forlorn or annoyed. I've got a couple phrases my buddies have said that make me laugh. I try to think of those whenever I'm in a social situation. Gives me a big genuine, almost laughing smile immediately. Works wonders.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) put bag over head

2) poke eye holes 2 c

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile more, look people direct in the eye, listen more, greet people before they do first, remember names. yeah, sounds trite, but i find out that the more influential people ive met at work and in my life usually do all of the above. and they look or seem (to me at least) overall more attractive than others who dont.
Agree with everything. But listening is a psychological tool that is waaaay underrated. People are self-centered, when you listen and give them undivided attention is boosts their ego, they like that. In turn they tend to like you. You've created an ally/friend just by listening. Not to mention the fact that you know more about them, etc. ... Smiling more is also amazingly effective. It's one of the few universal symbols off happiness/openness across all cultures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads