• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Pittsburgh

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Pittsburgh from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon. What should I do while I'm there?

I know there's another thread but it's a year and a half old.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stillers in Baltimore, but catch the game somewhere. And be sure to engorge on some Primanti Bros. too.

snake_watt

Reaction score
Food:

It's essential you eat at Primanti's in the Strip District for lunch or dinner. Don't ask for fries they come on the sandwich and order an Iron (Iron City Beer) to drink.

Breakfast:

DeLuca's in the Strip District

Dinner (suggestions, not musts):

Nakama in the South Side
Eleven in the Strip District
Monterey Bay on Mt. Washington

Things to do:

Visit Phipps Conservatory
The Andy Warhol Museum
Carnegie Museum of Art
Ride the incline up to Mt. Washington, great views of the city
Watch Pens/Steelers game
There are over 80 bars on the South Side, you should be able to find one you like

I'm not sure what you are in to but here's some general suggestions, have a good time in town.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second montery bay - eat dinner there, the view is fantastic

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shopping isn't great. There's Larrimore's, a Saks, and a Brook Brothers downtown. Charles Spiegel on Forbes Ave. in Squirrel Hill has some interesting stuff, but it tends toward the Etro side of MC. Washington, PA about 45 minutes away has an outlet mall with a Saks Off 5th and a Brooks Brothers outlet.

Edit: My favorite breakfast spots are The Square Cafe in Edgewood or Pamela's restaurant in either Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland or (haven't tried this location) the Strip District. Haven't tried DeLuca's though it's well-known.

snake_watt

Reaction score
Second on what Thinman said regarding shopping.

There's a menswear store in Shady Side called Moda -- http://www.modapittsburgh.com/

Ross Park Mall in the North Hills has Nordstrom and a great eyewear store Ilori that offers crazy discounts on Oliver Peoples, Tom Ford, etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like pop art and Shepard Fairey, go to the Warhol Museum - there's a massive Fairey wall across the street on a building owned by the musuem.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Ugh. Can his 15 feet of defacement be up already?

victorga

Reaction score
Snake pretty much laid out everything worth trying on a short stay but I'll disagree about Monterey Bay. I was very underwhelmed; I think the view is really the only selling point and you can get that for free outside.

I would also recommend strolling down Ellsworth in Shadyside. Start at Negley and work east. Lots of good food, boutiques, etc. all in a gorgeous neighborhood.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comment made recently by a business colleague in Pittsburgh. I asked what he does with free time and he said "help board up windows".

level32

Reaction score
I can't remember the name but there is a boutique men's shop in Shadyside that has some decent stuff.

As for food, my choices are:

Breakfast at Pamelas, lunch at Primanti Bros, Dinner at Isabela on Grandview (It's in Mt Washington so you can ride the incline and take pictures before dinner).

Steeze

Reaction score
Check out the parks. Both Frick Park and Schenley Park are fantastic and really better than you'll see anywhere else that urban. If the Penguins are playing while you're in town it's worth checking out a game at the new arena. The team is playing very well right now and has great fans and the best player in hockey.

Food wise- not an elite culinary destination but great junk food. Check out Dave and Andy's for the best ice cream you will ever eat and The Original's Hot Dog Shop for stellar hot dogs and incredible fries. Both are in Oakland. Pamelas has them outrageous crepe style pancakes. Obama was so fond of them he threw the staff to DC to cook for a state function.

Not much of a nightlife. East Carson street on the south side is probably the most young/hip area but it's sort of fratty. For more character check out shadyside and Regent Square/Squirrel Hill

cimabue

Reaction score
Aw, too late. I was gonna suggest Sammy's on Liberty downtown or in Lawrenceville for great corned beef sangwiches, not Primanti's. Alden shoes at the Nettleton Shop in Market Square downtown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads