• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in NYC-that are new and different

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to NYC on Monday with a client but will have Wed evening and all of Thursday free before catching a late plane. I know all the main men's stores and I've been to all the main attractions over the years. What is new and different that would be worthwhile checking out?

I will be staying in mid-town on Lex but open to head anywhere interesting. I will be solo and not into clubs. Anything related to food, drink, design, art, antiques, clothing -typical SF stuff, would be appreciated. Really looking for the "New" in New York
smile.gif

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Def the Tim Burton Exhibit at MOMA. It's closing soon, so get a timed ticket and do it early in the day. It gets packed later in the day. I'm not a big fan of MOMA, but this exhibit is fun to see and definitely worthwhile.

The Sinatra/Twyla Tharp show is good, too. Wed. I think would have a matinee.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is consider "new" by your standards, but here are some ideas: Walk over the highline, and on chelsea piers if warm. Plenty of photography and art galleries to visit in the area too. Tim Burton exhibition at the MoMA is still going on. Lots of really good live jazz to listen to on the weekdays. Maybe a quick stop at one of the nice bars known for their cocktails. Check out the new Opening Ceremony shop at the Ace Hotel + other SF-type shops you haven't been to. PS - There is an excellent film festival going on this week at the Lincoln Center and MoMA. Try to catch a movie if you can get a ticket:http://www.newdirectors.org/2010/

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Any new men's stores not to be missed?

Don't know if any new men's stores have opened up, but have you been to Leffot? Great store and an awesome shoe collection.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Museum of the American Gangster just opened up on St Marks.

www.moagnyc.org

and the Moma has a cool Tim Burton exhibit I'll be hitting up this week.

Gangster tour looks cool. Have you tried it yet?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the ideas. I'm staying in mid-town so getting over to MOMA sounds like fun even if it will be crowded.

sw20

Reaction score
Leffot and Ascot Chang

Lounge at Daniel for evening grub and cocktails amidst perhaps world's most powerful crowd of regulars...lots of well-known figures in finance (and tech guys from CA and energy guys from Hou/Dall) prefer the more casual feel of Lounge over DiningRm, esp for solo dining or for non-business dinners

DBGB for a burger, interesting beers and ice cream sundae after a visit to Leffot down in the commie zone S of Midtown

Prob a quiet wk in NYC as holidays/school vacas...

mr. magoo

Reaction score
High line is worth doing (www.thehighline.org). Shopping nearby includes Camouflage (Eighth Ave.) and Massimo Bizzochi (14th Street). Lots of places to eat and drink on either end in Chelsea or Meatpacking District.

I second the Leffot recommendation -- best shoe store I've seen in the US. New Seize Sur Vingt store on Greene Street in Soho, though I admit to being partial to their stuff.

If you go to MOMA, I recommend eating at The Modern, especially in the main dining room as you can overlook the sculpture garden. Not particularly new, but beautiful setting.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Food high end:
Marea - The fusilli with bone marrow and octopus is good.
drool.gif

Minetta Tavern - good burgers and steak. Impossible to get a table at a good hour unless you are famous. Eat at the bar - ogle famous people.

Not so pricey but hip:
Sorella - Voted hottest chef in NYC. Food is pretty good too.
http://ny.eater.com/tags/hottest-chef-in-ny

Little Giant and Cafe Katja are on the same block on the LES. Young energetic crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads