• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Hong Kong in a day?

Lokesh

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 16 hour layover in Hong Kong this December, and want to spend it in the city. I will be landing in the Hong Kong airport at around 7am and will need to catch my connecting flight at around 10:30pm the same day.

I've never been to HK before and I haven't the slightest clue about what there is to do there. I won't have a very big budget though. Of the things I'm least interested in doing, is fine dining. I am a vegetarian and that limits me as to what I can eat. Also good food can be really expensive. I'd rather spend my money on other things.

I was also wondering if the airport offerers some kind of locker service so I can lock my carry on luggage away and not have to lug it around HK? If not, how much will it cost to get a room at the airport?

I also need to know the best way to get to the city from the airport and how long it takes and how to get around there and basically everything lol I really know nothing about the city. I could do research, but I figured there has got to be a lot of people that live there or have been there that can give me better advice.

Lastly, how long does it take to get a Visa for HK stamped the airport so I can actually get out?

Thanks guys!

suzuka

Reaction score
the airport does have lockers and you do not want to be lugging around luggage as hk is crammed with people. You wouldn't be able to walk around with luggage.

The MTR from the airport to hk island runs about 120 hkd and is the quickest but if you want to save some cash you can always take the bus which will run 50 hkd

Everything in HK is connected by the MTR and off the top of my head you need to visit the following:

sneaker and electronic street in the mong kok district.
Central and Wan Chai is the business district so you'll see a lot of expats and high end retailers.
Wednesday is the night for horse racing at happy valley
The Peak offers the view of the island
The TST district has all the museums

Just grab a map when you land in HK and hop on the subway.

Prestwich

Reaction score
Don't worry about fine dining - the best of HK food is the dim sum and you can find great dim sum pretty much anywhere. Near the airport is the Big Bhudda on Lantau Island - you can get there easily by MTR. It's spectacular, free to see (you have to pay if you want to go inside the statue) and there's a beautiful monastry onsite too.

If you want to go into the city, a trip up to the Peak is worthwhile as long as it's not too foggy. Enjoy!

Lokesh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah definitely don't want to be carrying my backpack around. So do you happen to know how much these lockers cost and how long you can have them for?

How long does the bus take to get me into town?

I definitely want to visit the Peak! I've heard the view from there is amazing!

Do they sell vegetarian dim sums there? I absolutely love dim sims!

Also how much do trips on the subway generally cost?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lokesh
Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah definitely don't want to be carrying my backpack around. So do you happen to know how much these lockers cost and how long you can have them for?

How long does the bus take to get me into town?

I definitely want to visit the Peak! I've heard the view from there is amazing!

Do they sell vegetarian dim sums there? I absolutely love dim sims!

Also how much do trips on the subway generally cost?

I'm back in Taipei now... just left my 20th something trip to HK on Thurs. The Airport Express will get you to Central in less than 30 min. and cost $100 HK. The bus is only $35-$40ish but will take an hour or more. On a short day trip you may actually be better off in Kowloon as you have the whole city view of Central from that side and in general things are a bit cheaper. If you are concerned about vegetarian food I'll be honest and tell you even Cantonese veggie dishes may be flavored with pork fat or other animal flavorings/ingredients. Chungking mansions on Nathan Rd. in Kowloon is home to many expat Indian communities and has strictly vegetarian Hindu cuisine and quite cheap I might add. Victoria Harbour is within walking distance, you could go to Temple Street night market and just enjoy the chaotic, eclectic scenery that is Hong Kong!! The Peak will take a bit of time from Central. It can be quite busy to wait in line... about 20 mins. to the top and depending on the weather, either a fabulous or non-existent view. Check the forecast to be sure.... last week the weather was great! Tian Tan Buddha on Lantau is the world's largest outdoor, free-standing buddha and is also worth a visit... it's only 10 mins from the airport. The subway (MTR) is affordable... 60 cents to a dollar or so US depending how far you go. Hope that helps.. have fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads