• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Dublin

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
Go to Jameson and volunteer at the beginning of the tour. At the end the volunteers get six extra ounces of whiskey.

Now that is useful information!

BeauDiddley

Reaction score
As a Dublin resident, this is my cue for my first post!
Brown Thomas have recently renovated the store and moved the menswear area to the basement which is now predominantly black and glossy - the first time I visited I thought I'd fallen down a coal mine. As an unashamed old fogey, the redecoration is a tragedy - it used to be woody and gentlemen's-clubby, with old assistans and creaking floors. Now it's spotty youths actaully wearing some of the exaggerated catwalk styles. Oh dear, o tempora, o mores, oh bethejaysus!
Bargains are rare in Dublin and retail shopping is now dominated by the ubiquitous. There are, however, a few twinkling gems: Abrahamsons on South Anne's Street (just off Grafton St.) is good for suits, (including bespoke, so I'm told), as is Louis Copeland who dresses major Irish politicians, celebrities etc. Some personal menswear favourites are Kennedy & McSharry on Nassau Street, near Trinity College, and Kevin and Howlin on the same street which is a tweedlovers paradise. I found one of their old suits in my wardrobe last week, fresh as a daisy twenty years later - their clothes are indestructible!
Call in to Louise Kennedy's Georgian townhouse on Merrion Square (ring the bell and they'll come out and greet you with a big smile! LK stocks her own posh ladieswear and select European housewares, but to recover from the prices you'll need a jar in Doheny and Nebitts around the corner where "refuse engineers" and senior politicians rub shoulders. If you like Georgian architecture call in to the Powerscourt Townhouse (again, off Gratfton St), which was remodelled as a shopping centre.
On the other side of the Liffey there are the menswear departments in the department stores such as Arnotts and Clerys. Those in search of a crazy bazaar experience could essay Guineys (around the corner from Clerys) which sells all manner of very low quality clothing with the rare gem (Balmain dress shirt for 5 euro, anyone?), if you're lucky and prepared to rummage through acres of dross. Have the cocktail of the day in the octagon bar in The Clarence (the U2 hotel) on the quays and backing onto Temple Bar. Best value in Dublin is the culture - most museums are free - National Museum, National Gallery, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Hugh Lane Gallery (which houses the reconstructed Francis Bacon studio) etc.
Bye now,
Beau

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Yes, absolutely! One of the few times I was wasted well before 3PM.

+1

Went to the Guiness museum first thing in the morning. Finished that tour with a pint in the sky bar. Fresh and tasty and one of the best views in Dublin. From there went Jameson. I had been told by a friend to volunteer, but not what I was volunteering for, though I was assured I would like the result. After Jameson I headed back to the hotel for a nap at 1pm, but fear not, I was back in Temple Bar that evening.

Rossini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bishop of Briggs
Shopping in Dublin is poor for a capital city and very expensive . Just go drinking in Temple Bar and find a nice Catholic girl.

I agree but pretty much any pub in a buzzy location will do for the latter
smile.gif
inlove.gif

d-fens

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bishop of Briggs
find a nice Catholic girl.

if you mean good looking, this might be hard. And if you find one, she'll probably be Eastern European

Rossini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by d-fens
if you mean good looking, this might be hard. And if you find one, she'll probably be Eastern European

That's harsh and simply not true! But, yes, the Eastern European compliment is widening the gene pool to positive effect.

Hobbs

Reaction score
This restaurant is well worth a visit and recently won Dubliner magazines' most popular restaurant in the city.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great replies!

I'm glad I posted here in good time before my trip (I'm leaving in 2 weeks).

Thanks again
smile.gif

Jawbreak

Reaction score
Im in Dublin as I write this.... Shopping, unless your into standard retail not much to find. I can confirm Howth is very windy, 2 japanese tourists were blown into the sea, Malahide is nice to visit, and then the standard city visits, Trinity college, temple bar, castle etc.. The city architecture is lovely.... EDIT: So as far as shopping goes, there is all the standard fair to find in big retail names, Graftom st. has it all. I do recomend: KEVIN AND HOWLIN, just off to the side of trinity college (31 Nassau St.) MASSIMO - 14 Royal Hibernian Way, just off Grafton street, neighboring stores sell Church shoes and other nice things, great barbor shop around the corner also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads