Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is false humility. There is nothing awful about these and they are not real toggle backs.
    Whoever talked about humility, or even of these being awful? I love these - they're my favorite cufflinks. I guess whether you want to call them toggle backs or not is semantics to me - they have the same type of articulated toggle mechanism as my other toggle-backed links - but twice, each.

What sins would you like to confess?

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Am I the only one who fesses up to the toggle-back preference?

I don't know why toggle-backs are considered to be inferior, frankly.

3. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Well technically, they are unfinished on one side. If i am going to wear cufflinks, I much prefer togglebacks.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Sure enough, Costco carries them. I picked a few (packs) up and they are comfortable, plus you don't feel bad about throwing them out.

Limited background colors like navy, charcoal or black in a multi-pack with several small, neat designs on them.

Wait...am I wrong, or is Costco one of those stores where you need a membership to buy stuff?

- B

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . . What sins would you like to confess?
    I wear shirts from J.Press. Sometimes with J.Press ties. Also boxers without elastic.

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

This is false humility. There is nothing awful about these and they are not real toggle backs.

Whoever talked about humility, or even of these being awful? I love these - they're my favorite cufflinks. I guess whether you want to call them toggle backs or not is semantics to me - they have the same type of articulated toggle mechanism as my other toggle-backed links - but twice, each.

Dopey is quite right...those are derivative of an iconic cufflink of Hermès, the mors de filet equestrian motif link:

[​IMG]

If you want to go back to ruling this thread, how about one of your improvised 3 roll 2s?

- B

7. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Wait...am I wrong, or is Costco one of those stores where you need a membership to buy stuff?

- B

It is, except for the purchase of alcohol. Walk in the door, tell them you want to buy alcohol, and they'll let you in without membership.

I will confess my absolute favorite boxers are made by Hollister. They're very well-constructed and slimmer-fitting so as to avoid having to stuff them into your pants. Plus, the elastic band has a fleece lining, which makes them more comfortable than other, more-expensive brands I've tried.

Other thing is my Banana Republic boots. $50 for a pair of chukka-style, pebble-grain leather boots. They fit well and look good to my eyes.

8. gdl203

If you want to go back to ruling this thread, how about one of your improvised 3 roll 2s?
    First of all, they're not improvised - it's all clearly planned. Secondly, they're not inferior, they're actually an improved incarnation of their former stiff 3 button stance. Nothing to confess there. I know you love that story and can't get it out of your head (na na na) but it's really not that impressive and people used steamers here long before I joined and will continue to do so even though jefferyd has warned them of an impeding implosion-slash-spontaneous combustion of their garment.

9. gdl203

Dopey is quite right...those are derivative of an iconic cufflink of Hermès, the mors de filet equestrian motif link:

[​IMG]

Those look very nice btw (nicer than mine actually) but do they toggle or simply swivel? Mine do toggle (you know, in 90 degrees increments, like... toggle backed links). This is an extremely important detail.

10. dopey

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

It is, except for the purchase of alcohol. Walk in the door, tell them you want to buy alcohol, and they'll let you in without membership.

Wait...do people buy things in stores other than alcohol?

- B

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I have been enjoying the guilty please of elastic-less boxers.

Boxer braces?

- B

* In before the edit.

13. dopey

Boxer braces?

- B

* In before the edit.

I just moved it up a post.

Brooks tie-back.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

First of all, they're not improvised - it's all clearly planned. Secondly, they're not inferior, they're actually an improved incarnation of their former stiff 3 button stance. Nothing to confess there.

Fiendish reasoning. You are a man with whom to be reckoned in small claims court.

I know you love that story and can't get it out of your head (na na na) but it's really not that impressive and people used steamers here long before I joined and will continue to do so even though jefferyd has warned them of an impeding implosion-slash-spontaneous combustion of their garment.

How will you face all the guys in pith helmets, though, who will be chuckling that your top buttonhole is now finished on the wrong side?

Eh, wot?

- B

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Wait...am I wrong, or is Costco one of those stores where you need a membership to buy stuff? - B
    That's right, it's restricted.