Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Like I'd wear underwear... I haven't be co-opted by the repressive system of balls oppression.

I appreciate the free-balling spirit

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Lands End t-shirts and college sweatshirts.

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Oh - and I love my Rainbow sandals. I wear them quite a bit on the weekends in the summer.

seconding rainbows. once they break in it's sheer foot bliss.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like some of those snap links.
    I have a pair of snap links but they often come undone unexpectedly. I'm afraid I'm going to lose them so I don't wear them any longer.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Heh.

Currently wearing a J Crew shirt...

I'm also currently wearing a J.Crew shirt, with a suit and tie.

6. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

I haven't be co-opted by the repressive system of balls oppression.

Really? I could have sworn I'd seen a post of you in skinny jeans.

7. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I like all kinds of blended fabrics and knits: cotton-poly shirts (preferably by Arrow or Eagle), wool-nylon sweaters, cotton-nylon pants, wool-viscose pants, wool-polyester pants. They're all so easy care, and imo, they often feel better than the real thing. I even have an RLPL sweater w/ about 5% polyester.

I also have some socks and scarves that are 100% acrylic. I kind of prefer them because I don't care if they wear out. So I find myself reaching for the acrylics way more often than the wools. They wear like iron.

But probably my worst sins involve belts I bought from a kiosk at the Primm outlets. Signs said they were genuine leather. They were the kind you need to cut to fit. When I took them home and cut them to fit, I could tell they were in no way leather, not even glued particles of leather. They were vinyl. I was pissed, but they were like $4 and they looked great. I told myself I'd wear them until I could find a good replacement. 5 yrs later, they're still not bad.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

gl, yeah, I get you on cotton socks - I love gold toe cotton socks.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Lands End t-shirts and college sweatshirts.

+1

I wear mine all the time around the apartment or when running errands.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

My catalog of sartorial sins would probably be longer than my catalog of sexual sins...and many of your know that would be a long one!

At the moment I am wearing a Kenneth Cole wristwatch. I will plead that I purchased it before becoming aware of the clothing-forum culture. Did it not bear the universally despised name of Kenneth Cole, I would still say it is perfectly nice, attractive watch for casual wear.

Two retro items much beloved of the iGentry that I have no use for, having had my fill of them back in their heyday: fountain pens and safety razors.

Until this thread, I was oblivious to the doctrine that cotton hose are a sartorial sin. I thought they only were with formal/semi-formal attire.

Confession time: Yesterday, I chanced to be at Target running a few errands for The Boss and acquired a new pair of khakis for $4.98. I really don't need more khakis, but I couldn't resist the price.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My double-sin and incidentally favorite cufflinks are... double toggled links! Very pretty and so easy to put on.

[​IMG]

This is false humility. There is nothing awful about these and they are not real toggle backs.

. . . And now for the gravest sin of all: I have a 3-button notch lapel tuxedo and like it. (For shame, for shame! Are the shades of Styleforum to be thus polluted?)
    Now this is a real confession. I don't think a notch lapel DJ is an abomination, though it is a pretty weak choice. But a three button notch lapel DJ should never be worn. That is just awful. Confessing to not just having one, but to liking it is what this thread should be all about.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

At the moment I am wearing a Kenneth Cole wristwatch. I will plead that I purchased it before becoming aware of the clothing-forum culture. Did it not bear the universally despised name of Kenneth Cole, I would still say it is perfectly nice, attractive watch for casual wear.
    Wuh oh, Cruiser alert!
    Two retro items much beloved of the iGentry that I have no use for, having had my fill of them back in their heyday: fountain pens and safety razors.
    Some of them prefer a feather quill pen.
    Until this thread, I was oblivious to the doctrine that cotton hose are a sartorial sin. I thought they only were with formal/semi-formal attire.
    Cotton hose are certainly not a sartorial sin! Even the Sartorial Inquisition would say as much.
    Confession time: Yesterday, I chanced to be at Target running a few errands for The Boss and acquired a new pair of khakis for $4.98. I really don't need more khakis, but I couldn't resist the price.
    OK, just so you don't feel so all alone. I admired some socks on someone well dressed and in the clothes business. I asked him where he got them and he said Costco! I would never buy socks from there unless I admired them without first knowing what they were. Sure enough, Costco carries them. I picked a few (packs) up and they are comfortable, plus you don't feel bad about throwing them out. Limited background colors like navy, charcoal or black in a multi-pack with several small, neat designs on them.

15. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I must confess -- I have my shirts laundered and boxed.

And even worse, my favorite goto business suit is a J.Crew suit from approx. 5 years ago.