• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that you don't like spending lots of money on, and good sources for them.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JAB also has good clothes brushes, tie racks, shoe racks for cheap during those sales

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, I think we have a similar attitude to them, except I wear my automatic whenever I'm dressed smartly and the quartz on more casual days. I like having a watch on my wrist and think mine handle a range of different nicely (as do yours); I just don't like paying boatloads for one.

Not quite a thing I "won't spend on" but I have recently realized that spending upward of $450 on an OTR suit, is simply absurd. MTM can be done for $600 at one local shop in town, and can be done in-shop at others (as opposed to sent out to a Montreal factory) for under $1000. Basically, once you cross $500, you're only paying for a brand. A bit off-topic, but just a recent discovery, that I'm sure isn't new to most people on here - let's not highjack the thread with a discussion of OtR vs. MtM. I'm sure that thread rages on somewhere else ;)
I'll respect the wish not to hijack at length, but still would briefly mention that you're paying for style/cut & fit as well as brand.

It is generally possibly to find a range of different styles/cut cheaply if you have patience and either live in a big city or are happy with online purchases. However, finding ones that that fit well can be harder. MTM can/should give you a decent fit, but you might not find the style/cut you want from MTM in your preferred price range. Bespoke can/should you fit very well, but again, not necessarily the style/cut you want unless you're prepared to shop around for the right tailor for you.

In the final analysis, if you can find RTW in a style/cut you like, which fits you well, it may be a better "value" option to pay more for it than you would for MTM or bespoke from a tailor unsuited to your needs. It's a triangle: style/cut are one side, fit is another, and cost is the third. Balancing all three to meet your needs may mean altering your perception of value. Or, you might be lucky and find a balance within your current perception, especially if you don't value time very highly or enjoy the research process (so shopping around +/- waiting for sales isn't a problem).

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RD-
I used to think the same way with socks until I discovered the joy, beauty, and durability of Bresciani. They're really expensive, but worth it IMHO. I've had some pairs as long as two years now and never any problems.

Well, I see they are just a little over 20-25€ per pair (the cotton ones at least), so I could definately try them out...
smile.gif

Also, I'm with you on watches. Would never think of getting anything above €150 - it's a purely functional accesory for me. As long as it's not fugly and it's accurate enough, I'm served.

Not quite a thing I "won't spend on" but I have recently realized that spending upward of $450 on an OTR suit, is simply absurd. MTM can be done for $600 at one local shop in town, and can be done in-shop at others (as opposed to sent out to a Montreal factory) for under $1000. Basically, once you cross $500, you're only paying for a brand. A bit off-topic, but just a recent discovery, that I'm sure isn't new to most people on here - let's not highjack the thread with a discussion of OtR vs. MtM. I'm sure that thread rages on somewhere else ;)

MTM can be VERY disappointing and a painful process to get right. If it wasn't for the possibility of being able to choose fabric, styling, etc., you'd be better off trying to find OTR that fits. Imagine commissioning that beautiful fabric you found on a book, then when the garment is done the fit is absolutely off and impossible to fix. That hurts. Lately, while saving for future bespoke pieces, I'm getting OTR instead of MTM - fabric choices are limited, but at least you can see how the garment looks on you; then with some minor alterations it could be great.

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
Braces - plain white TM Lewin braces work for me

Pocket squares - stocked up a few years ago, £15 a piece from Duchamp; never understood the need for expensive pocket squares.

Collar stays - Hackett sell bone collar stays for £5/pair, do not see the point of expensive mop or silver stays.

As for Bresciani socks I think they are worth the cost although I get them from the Edward Green sales for about £10.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the MtM options I've found, the availability of styles and cuts has generally been comparable or better, within the same price point, to OTR. Also, with the exception of online, the fittings and alterations necessary upon delivery are included. Around here, alterations on OTR are generally not included if a suit is below $400-$500, and until you cross over $100, they generally only include hems, waists, and sleeve length. So, of the options I've researched, more is available MtM than OtR - OtR. Though the most currently fashionable styles tend to be most available OtR.

That brings me to something else I won't pay full price for - Things that I can tell (or at least that I believe) are going to go out of fashion in less than three years! Does not matter whether it is a suit, jeans, a tie, shoes, etc., I try not to buy anything that will last 10 years, but look dated in 18 months.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, of course much more is available in MTM (specially if done through a tailor, then you will have many fabric books at your disposal) but for me it's not worth the extra cost because there is a high likeliness of fit failure and headaches. My last commission did in fact turn out worse than the previous due to factory mistakes, and that's pretty bad. I prefer to see what I buy now, and leave "that nice cloth I saw in a book" for later, when I can get it properly made by a good bespoke tailor.

You might also happen to stumble upon a $1000 RTW sportcoat with an amazing fabric that fits you like a glove - why not buy it if you can afford it? Yesterday I saw a nice tweed jacket that looked extremely flattering on me, and would only need a small adjustment for my low shoulder - it was €400, more than what I usually pay for a RTW coat, but I think it will end up in my closet. It just fits better than any MTM I've had, so why not?

Of course, if you're lucky and get a nice fit out of MTM, it's a great value. But I've seen so many disasters compared to successes...

Last edited:

tdude

Reaction score
Collar stays. not that I don't appreciate the beauty of a good gold or MOP collar stay mind you, but . . . .

on a sort of side note--steam irons. I get cheap ones to press my stuff. They get gunked up, and I have to purchase a new one every so often. Are good irons worth it?

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score

steam irons.  I get cheap ones to press my stuff.  They get gunked up, and I have to purchase a new one every so often.  Are good irons worth it?

I have been using a Tefal iron with steam generator for about about 5.5yrs, I doubt that I will go back to an iron or stream iron.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have been using a Tefal iron with steam generator for about about 5.5yrs, I doubt that I will go back to an iron or stream iron.

My trusty Rowenta just decided to stop heating up any more after about twenty years. I think it might have cost me about $40 which was on the high side back then, but its been worth it i suppose.

There used to places you could take items like steam irons and toasters to get thermostats replaced but in today's world everyone just tells you to dump them in a landfill and get new ones. Sad to see it go, it served me well.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if heavy non-steam irons are better for pressing jobs. I have a decent steam iron, but haven't used steam in months and it's much better. Seams don't blow (pucker) any more, trouser creases are sharper and easier to set in, and wrinkles on shirts disappear more easily. Water spray and/or sponge works great...

Last edited:

tdude

Reaction score
^^ I read jeffreyd's post on pressing too and it was game-changing. I emptied the water from my iron and used spray and sponge exclusively. It certainly seems to make a difference with seams for sure.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like spending lots of money on shirts. I have my shirts laundered, and they don't treat them as well as they should. So, my shirts don't last a long time.

I get my shirts at Luxire or Charles Tyrwhitt o Jos. A Banks.

GoldieLocks

Reaction score
I get my footwear and daily work wear from the navy quartermaster. It costs me nothing and I never have to worry about color or style.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Cheap Item:

Woven belts which I wear with jeans. Mine come from Macys and are about $20.00.
They fall apart in about 9 months and I buy new ones. I am not intelligent enough to
see the difference in similar belts costing 4 times as much at BB. One of these days I'll buy
one at a much higher price to see how long it lasts.

A good belt, when treated properly, is permanent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads