Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

things that make you laugh and cry at the gym...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by GQgeek, Aug 19, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

The baths in Vienna are quite interesting. The Austrian sauna culture is... also interesting. Everyone is naked but one person, usually a large man, fans everyone in the room with his towel while jumping... it's interesting to say the least.

Interesting in the Chinese curse sense?

The first time I went to the gym in Vienna, at this fitness center called "City Fitness" I was interested to see that the sauna/bath area was co-ed including a lounging area that is naturally lit by skylights. The first time I was relaxing there, two very hot Austrian girls sat down next to me completely naked. That was a good gym.

Boing! In that situation, embarrassing things could arise. Or is it ruder not to respond?

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The first time I went to the gym in Vienna, at this fitness center called "City Fitness" I was interested to see that the sauna/bath area was co-ed including a lounging area that is naturally lit by skylights. The first time I was relaxing there, two very hot Austrian girls sat down next to me completely naked. That was a good gym.
    Note to self: Plan vacation for Vienna.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Haha, you mean Gellert? That's where one of my fellow exchange students coined the term "paper-maiche cock..." rofl

Gellert is the one tha tI usually go to, but there are a half dozen similar. I love those places, best way to spend a day in transit.

once, in germany, I was at a gym that I had been to several times before, and I went into the sauna after working out. the whole room was full of naked women, I was the only guy. several were extremly hot, several were old, and a lot in between. anyway, after 5 minutes of sitting around trying not to look like I was staring, one woman comes up to me and informs me that Tuesday is ladies night - that was why there were no other men in the sauna. I slinked off quetily..... but I thought that it was interested that my entrance didn't get a room full of screams, like it probrably would have in the states.

4. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Interesting. I have no problem with it, and I'm 46. Am I one of those older guys?

At 46? Not at all. The "grey pride" nude guys at the gym in Toronto must have been in their 70s, I kid you not.

In any case, it's not nudity per se that's weird, it's when these dudes have a towel, but drape it round their neck. If you're only in possession of enough material to hide one part of your body, it ought to be a no-brainer as to which part to choose[​IMG]

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I saw a guy working a kick bag--real all tough city for the night--do a roundhouse kick, and the sweat on his foot made him slip: his foot slipped out from underneath him and he landed on his side. Pretty funny.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Boing! In that situation, embarrassing things could arise. Or is it ruder not to respond?

I'm thinking probably the second, but that's a good use for towels, in any case [​IMG]

7. ted

ted Senior member

In any case, it's not nudity per se that's weird, it's when these dudes have a towel, but drape it round their neck. If you're only in possession of enough material to hide one part of your body, it ought to be a no-brainer as to which part to choose[​IMG]

Wierd is the idea something needs to be hidden. What's wierd is the guy who showers wearing his swim trunks - yeah that's normal. If walking the fifteen feet from the shower to my locker naked makes you uncomfortable either don't look or change your clothes at home. Hey, we all got one and nobody cares.

8. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

For the record, there are some gyms that are women-only. That ought to protect the deconditioned and the alluring from certain negative types of attention.

9. ted

ted Senior member

For the record there are some gyms that are men only. My gym is one of those, it's been around for over 100 years. Maybe that partly explains why no one cares if you're naked in the pool or steam room or locker room - it's all men so no one even looks twice.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Probably the latter. There's a reason it's known as the "gallant reflex".

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

I saw this one guy this summer. He wore male flood pants and a sleeveless tshirt. The only thing I ever saw him doing was standing barbell curls. After each set, the would then proceed to the mirror and stroke his hair for about 5 minutes because it got messed up during the lift. He has hair down pass his chin. This routine would last for about 15-20 minutes, then he flexes his non-existent muscles a bit, then leaves. He was not a beautiful man by any means. And then there are those who talk on their cell phones during the busy hours while others are waiting. [​IMG]

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

For the record there are some gyms that are men only. My gym is one of those, it's been around for over 100 years. Maybe that partly explains why no one cares if you're naked in the pool or steam room or locker room - it's all men so no one even looks twice.

Well, some baths in Budapest are coed and others are segregated by sex. The last time I was at Gellert, which was segregated by sex, there were three men standing very close to each other weighing one of the men on one of those manual scales. It looked... less than innocent. I gave them a wide berth.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

lk, i am afraid i have no idea what you mean.....
    Sort of like what Oscar Wilde did with his Bosie.

15. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I used to swim competitively and none of us ever got naked to shower. It's weird, considering we were 95% naked in the first place, but we used to laugh uncomfortably at old guys who showered naked.

I like being naked a lot more now.