1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

things that make you laugh and cry at the gym...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by GQgeek, Aug 19, 2006.

1. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

This comment, and ones like it, are the reason many people are too intimidated to go to the gym - people they know that people are laughing at them. Everyone has to start somewhere. Truth be told, my wife is overweight and rude comments and stares at the gym have kept her from going back. Some people are simply rude and insensitive. Do you expect an entrance exam before someone is allowed to join the local fitness center? Or are fat, old, unattractive, and weak people supposed to just buy a bow flex and fend for themselves in the privacy of their own homes?

Some of you need to stop working on the abs and work on your maturity.

I have nothing against overweight ppl, but pls wear appropiate clothing when in public. The woman was severly overweight , but wore a spandax shorts and a sports bra that made her look rather ridiculous. Its like a girl keeps compaining guys keep look @ her like a piece of meat when she consistantly wears mini skirt and low cut shirt.

2. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Hmm, not quite sure if you are trying to patronize me or are simply acknowledging that you understand what I meant. If the former is the case, I don't think there is any reason to be impolite. [​IMG]

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I have nothing against overweight ppl, but pls wear appropiate clothing when in public. The woman was severly overweight , but wore a spandax shorts and a sports bra that made her look rather ridiculous. Its like a girl keeps compaining guys keep look @ her like a piece of meat when she consistantly wears mini skirt and low cut shirt.

My rule is spandex is a privledge, not a right.

I don't laugh at those who are overweight, I do chuck at those who choose to wear spandex when they are overweight. I know people who believe themselves to be "too unfit to go to the gym" which is precisely the point of going to the gym. This rule is also true for fit people. I saw a man, who is at least 65 but has the body of 25-year-old, wearing a deep-vee spandex shirt; it looked horrible even though he was extremely fit.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

My rule is spandex is a privledge, not a right.

The same goes for thong bikinis... god.

5. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

This is off the top of my head some of the stereotypes and/or funny situations I've found at the gyms I've frequented over the years:

-Guys that only work their upper-bodies. You can usually tell them by no matter what the temperature in the gym they're wearing trackpants. There used to be a guy at the gym my friend and I called "Legs." He was about 6' 5" and literally only worked out his bi-ceps and chest. His back was convex it was so bad.

-Newbies. I admire and respect anyone who endeavors to make physical fitness part of their life. Gyms, for the most part, are intimidating, boorish environments. That being said, don't front. If you don't know what you're doing, ask the trainer; that's why they're there. Last spring I had to help a guy out of the leg press because he figured he could do the weight, and couldn't. Oh, and hitting on the really fit girl doing clean and jerk doesn't engender yourself to the regulars.

-Free advice guy. I'm so far from being a professional trainer or therapist it's not funny and that's why I don't give advice about equipment or exercises unless asked or the person is going to immediately hurt themselves. Plus, what works for one person might not work for another. However, there was a football player at my old university's gym that would walk up to people at random and give them advice about form, reps, different exercises, etc. One of my favourite nuggets of wisdom, "Yeah, I find the 2 1/2 hour workout to be best. It really allows me to hit all the stuff I want to get bigger and do my abs."

-Grunty McGee. Now that I think about it, same gym. Another football player who used to do Herculean amounts of weights on bench, squat, and deadlift and would literally shout at the top of his lungs when he lifted. Problem was he did this for every exercise. I will concede that that it was a mere grunt during wrist curls.

-Seriously serious guys. There used to be this huge (easily 6'4" 240lbs) Eastern European powerlifter I saw occasionally who had the most amazing trainer I've ever seen. The trainer was maybe 5'5" on a good day and was probably in his 70's, and I have come to believe, was part of the same cadre of people who prepped the Russian fighter in Rocky II. I came in early in the morning once and found this trainer and his powerlifter doing various Calisthenics. And I'm not talking windmills. I'm talking hoping on one leg while bent in half and trying to balance while some 5'5" guy pokes you in the ribs and yells at you in Ukrainian.

A.

6. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Two words - grape smugglers.
    If your last name isn't Armstrong stay away!!

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I spend nothing on workout clothes. I show up frequently with these ugly tea -stain armpit undershirts. I'm not sure if anyone else finds this funny -gross probably.

8. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Oh! And there was the time while at yoga when the girl next to me Varted. But that's another story.

What's most impressive is that you can tell the difference between a fart and a vart by sound alone [​IMG]

There were many people -- mostly very old professors -- at my old gym who were far too comfortable with being naked. I know we're all grown-ups and that, but since they give you a towel, why not tie it around your waist on the long walk to the shower instead of gleefully slinging it over your shoulder, sauntering along, and stopping to chat with friends.

Oh... and the "perineum bandsaw" is not an acceptable public towelling technique.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I can't think of that much that makes me laugh at the gym anymore - I used ot find the guys with no life outside of the gym funny, now I find them just pathetic.

what pisses me off at the gym are two things - the guys who give free advice and the people who grab a station for too long, espectially when they are talking.

I've been going to gyms for 20 years, more or less. I have cycled back and forth from being fat, to being marathon runner thin, to being a power lifter. and, I read a pretty big stack of stuff on new research. if I am doing soemthig that might not strike you as the best way to do it, it is probrably because I am right, and you are wrong. so, I won't tell you what to do, and you don't tell me what to do, just get the fuck off the squat rack, 'cause there's only one and I need it.

10. carlhuber

carlhuber Senior member

Jackasses who go up to girls thinking they need to be given advice on the exercises they're doing and how to do them better, despite the fact that the girls are clearly in better shape than the guys. Oh, wait, that's not funny; it's pathetic.

Hmm, I find it rather funny that the old guys are completely fine with walking around totally naked, whereas thankfully the younger (I mean sub-50) generations generally cover up. I can't help it if I have good peripheral vision, yet I certainly don't want to see shriveled naked guys' junk when I'm trying to get changed.

Hmm, looks like my two observations were already made. Oh well.

11. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Hmm, I find it rather funny that the old guys are completely fine with walking around totally naked, whereas thankfully the younger (I mean sub-50) generations generally cover up.
    This is sociologically interesting, as you would think that people get more conservative as they age. Do you think that when the young guys get over 50 that they will let all hang out, or do you think the younger generation will remain modest forever?

12. carlhuber

carlhuber Senior member

I suppose I think of it that the currently "older" generations hail from a time when nudity amongst men was much more common - back when guys hung out with guys (boyscouts' numbers were much greater, etc). Nowadays people are more free to express themselves individualistically on the surface, but things like all the lawsuits in highschools and the fact that nudity gets demonized (in America at least) - makes it much less appropriate. Which, if you want to be long winded about it, is unfortunate.

I for one simply can't imagine walking around naked in front of other guys, even if it was to go from a shower to a locker. I don't find it abhorrant, it's just that given the choice I would always prefer some cover.

/25yo

13. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Interesting. I have no problem with it, and I'm 46. Am I one of those older guys?

14. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Interesting. I have no problem with it, and I'm 46. Am I one of those older guys?

I wouldn't do it, it's not for me plus I wouldn't want to make other people uncomfortable if they weren't cool with it... doen't it feel like you're imposing?

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

I feel pretty uncomfortable being naked around other guys. If it's a choice between no shower at all or getting naked, fine, I'll get naked, but otherwise I definitely try to avoid it. I just wasn't raised in an environment where that was common.