• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a pretentious vegan restaurant tonight. Food was actually very good.

BUT, they put pink kimberly clark soap in an Aesop bottle, which is #notokay. I hope the LaTimes investigates.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Isn't "pretentious vegan restaurant" being redundant?

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair. But this one bills itself as "crafting the future of food" ( I always thought that was dippin' dots), so I think the emphasis is warranted.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've had the unfortunate experience of watching the Food Network lately. I've mentioned how increasingly absurd their competition shows are while having only one real theme.

But then on Giada de whatever's show, she was making asian food all show. Like, I get it, there's only so much Italian food but for christ, really? Have all the shows with people who know what they're talking about totally lost focus in favor of bullshit pioneer woman cooks crap? And I noticed that when doing the very delicate handwork on making the dumplings, there was some very clever camera work as a close-up on her hands but! They were completely indistinguishable from any other white woman's hands... coincidence--or coincidence.

OK, I thought, steeling my nerves, let me go see what's on the Cooking Channel: "Carnival Eats", "Beach Eats" and some other stupid stuff.

Why is it so hard to just have talented chefs or even people like Alton Brown do simple, straight-ahead TV that focuses on their cooking expertise?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I've had the unfortunate experience of watching the Food Network lately. BLAHH BLAH BLAH I
've mentioned how increasingly absurd their competition shows are while having only one real theme.

But then on Giada de whatever's show, she was making asian food all show. Like, I get it, there's only so much Italian food but for christ, really? Have all the shows with people who know what they're talking about totally lost focus in favor of bullshit pioneer woman cooks crap? And I noticed that when doing the very delicate handwork on making the dumplings, there was some very clever camera work as a close-up on her hands but! They were completely indistinguishable from any other white woman's hands... coincidence--or coincidence.

OK, I thought, steeling my nerves, let me go see what's on the Cooking Channel: "Carnival Eats", "Beach Eats" and some other stupid stuff.

Why is it so hard to just have talented chefs or even people like Alton Brown do simple, straight-ahead TV that focuses on their cooking expertise?

you lost me at "watching the Food Network".

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh Trader Joe's sucks. Had to throw away multiple packages of chicken that I bought two days ago because they smelled putrid.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you tell them they're really good about returns

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you want to hear how the menu works? Maybe chef would like you to order family style small plates that come out as they're ready?

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got lunch at Mirazur, Menton today and all was going fine until the John Dory arrived: skin was impenetrable by knife and the flesh did not separate from the skin. I had to saw off the flesh to eat it. Please correct me, but to me that's the sign of a poorly cooked fish?

I wanted to complain but the waiter just quickly whisked the plate away after a hurried "Did you enjoy the fish?" How do you express your disapproval when they ask leading questions that they don't even care what the answer is?

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds undercooked maybe? Send it back instead of choking it down. Or ask if chef's vision was for the fish to be inedible.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was undercooked as well. I really wish I had sent it back. I've never done that before, but as you say, better to be assertive than choke down inedible food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads