Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Pretty common story but a guy I know from college went off to CIA last week... guy is about 27, has tried and failed at the few things he's attempted, but I've never seen him cook anything but kimchijjigae or express much interest in food beyond eating junk food. He also asked me if he should buy purple Nike Dunks a couple years ago, and that was the last time I talked to him.
    I guess you never know, the guy might become a chef one day, but I think little does he know that he's going off to learn how to cut vegetables for quite some time. The guy might get a chance to cook, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to write much of a memoir.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I agree they're two different skills, I wasn't intending to correlate the two. It could be a great memoir for all that I know as long as it's written well. I think it would have to be written well since I can see nothing about the restaurant that merits anything beyond the two pages of a standard restaurant review. But I don't know how its written. And neither do the annoying foodies, and this is what is pissing me off food & drink edition.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    if you want to know why it's getting such a buzz, y ou only need to look at the cover of the review copies: nothing but two huge blurbs. on the front, bourdain says "GH packs more heaert, soul, and pure power into one beauitfully crafted page than I've accompolished in my entire writing career." on the back, Batali says "I will read this book to my children and then burn all the books I have written for prenteding to be anything even close to this."
    i'm only a third of hte way through and ... well, we'll see.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i will happily await your review.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

I bought a new Boos end-grain cutting board last week, and I used it for the first time tonight. I followed all of the care instructions to the letter, and it warped and cracked after the first use/cleaning. I could actually hear the board warping and splitting, and I have no clue why it happened.

On top of that, I spent a bunch of time prepping and cooking a whole chicken for dinner this evening. When I carved it, I discovered that it was disgusting and completely inedible. I've never seen anything like it, there was almost no meat, and the meat that was there was nasty looking.

Tonight was a complete culinary failure.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^^

Reasons why I 1) use a plastic cutting board and 2) pay the extra few bucks a pound for the best chicken I can find whole

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

sad to hear your cock was no good tonight, mr g [​IMG]

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

^^^ Reasons why I 1) use a plastic cutting board and 2) pay the extra few bucks a pound for the best chicken I can find whole
    I have a plastic board for meats and fish, but I bought the wood for other stuff. I'm going to call the place that sold it to me and see if they'll exchange it, but, if not, this experience may make me a convert to all plastic. One question - do you have any trouble with your knives, given you use only plastic? The chicken was name brand, so I wouldn't have expected such a problem, but I'll definitely be more picky in the future.
    The chicken looked ok on the outside?
    Yup, it looked great, both raw and cooked. In fact, when I took it out to carve it I thought "wow, this looks really good." Until I cut into it, I never would have guessed there was any problem at all.
    sad to hear your cock was no good tonight, mr g [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I have a plastic board for meats and fish, but I bought the wood for other stuff. I'm going to call the place that sold it to me and see if they'll exchange it, but, if not, this experience may make me a convert to all plastic. One question - do you have any trouble with your knives, given you use only plastic?
    Plastic is fine for your knives. It's soft. YOu just want to avoid glass or stone (marble/granite)

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I bought a new Boos end-grain cutting board last week, and I used it for the first time tonight. I followed all of the care instructions to the letter, and it warped and cracked after the first use/cleaning. I could actually hear the board warping and splitting, and I have no clue why it happened.

i had the same thing happen with a boos end-grain board. as expensive as they are it was sheer [​IMG] . my working theory is that they are highly allergic to water. you need to dry them thoroughly and then stand them on end until you use them next. to much of a pita for me. on the other hand, i've got a 15-year-old boos end-to-end that is still going strong without a sign of warping.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Plastic is fine for your knives. It's soft. YOu just want to avoid glass or stone (marble/granite)

there are different plastic materials. and they look quite similar. you need to scratch them with a thumbnail to see whether they are soft. the hard ones are just like cutting on glass.

14. nootje

nootje Senior member

the ground beef that supermarkets in these parts sell. I refuse to buy the stuff these days, but a friend wanted to save me the trouble of going myself and bought the stuff at the local market.

How they can stay in business whilst injecting this much water in the meat is beyond me. Try to fry about 500 grams worth, and i have to drain the pan twice.. One of these days I'm going to measure the amount that is in there, and try to bring it back as it isnt what I bought..

At least the some of the butchers around here still stand for quality..

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Honest question. how can you tell how much is water and how much is fat from using a less lean cut to grind?