• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if it was a relatively new bottle, they'll get it replaced by the distributor (stores do at least, maybe restaurants are different?)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
^ Waiter was an idiot. All he had to do was open a new bottle for her and foist off the other bottle on different people. Most people do not know the difference so he pissed you guys off for the cost of a glass of wine.

Now, if it was an expensive bottle, I can see a conversation over it. I've even heard of (but never been to or actually noticed) places that have an "order at own risk" policy on ultra expensive bottles.

Originally Posted by gomestar
if it was a relatively new bottle, they'll get it replaced by the distributor (stores do at least, maybe restaurants are different?)

Yeah, it was a new bottle in a restaurant with a ****** wine list. The waiter, nor even the restaurant because of what gomestar stated, had no financial interest in whether the wine was corked. It's not like my wife said that it was corked and wanted a totally different wine in its place - that would be suspicious to me as a waiter.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
We want our story from the last gathering of the culinary savants

Originally Posted by Piobaire
We're here for ya, brah.
inlove.gif

OK, you two suck. You may not suck as badly as my dinner last night did, but you suck nonetheless.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We don't suck at the highest level?
frown.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I'm still waiting on an update on her. I want deets before they soften with time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Yeah, it was a new bottle in a restaurant with a ****** wine list. The waiter, nor even the restaurant because of what gomestar stated, had no financial interest in whether the wine was corked. It's not like my wife said that it was corked and wanted a totally different wine in its place - that would be suspicious to me as a waiter.

ego. Pricks.

Your wife sounds like an interesting person to chat with about wine, she should join StyleForvm.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I'm still waiting on an update on her. I want deets before they soften with time.

It wasn't that big a deal. We were at a party with her and a bunch of friends, which was not catered by her, and she was basically standing around holding court, loudly talking about how bad each dish was. She had a few frans who were telling her how her restaurant was the best in San Francisco and how it was unthinkable to use this other caterer. I thought the food was much better than hers.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It wasn't that big a deal. We were at a party with her and a bunch of friends, which was not catered by her, and she was basically standing around holding court, loudly talking about how bad each dish was. She had a few frans who were telling her how her restaurant was the best in San Francisco and how it was unthinkable to use this other caterer. I thought the food was much better than hers.

She's one unhappy woman.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night, we ate at this place called Frantoio, in Mill Valley, Marin. It's good enough Italian food and it has this remarkable olive crusher in this room where they make their own olive oil - this all can be seen behind glass from the dining room. Anyway, I digress . . . my wife ordered this domestic pinot and noted that it was slightly corked. I sniffed it and could really not tell, and I'm pretty sensitive to TCA. She said that it was more on the palate than the nose (I still didn't notice in the taste) and called the waiter's attention on it. So, he brought the glass of wine back and told her that they tried it and said that it was not corked, which sent my diminutive wife into "Tasmanian Devil" mode. She directed him to bring out an unopened bottle of wine and open it in front of her and pour her a new glass. Sure enough the qualities of the two glasses were very different. The waiter, however, insisted and pouted that the wines were the same, which is why I'm putting this episode into this threak. My wife told them, and this really didn't help matters, that they should take the two wines back to the bar and smell and taste the two so they could "educate themselves on what a corked wine is like".
I think in all likelihood the wines were the same. For whatever reason some people get off on saying their wine is corked and act as if they were brought stale bread or something. Still, I'd bet most restaurants in America would just open a new bottle anyway to appease the customer rather than try to tame them.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I think in all likelihood the wines were the same. For whatever reason some people get off on saying their wine is corked and act as if they were brought stale bread or something. Still, I'd bet most restaurants in America would just open a new bottle anyway to appease the customer rather than try to tame them.

No offense taken on this above statement. However, you are wrong in respect to what occurred with that pinot. It was corked - the two glasses were tasted one after another and I am not just confident as to what my palate noted, but especially my wife's palate, who tastes on a conservative average 12-20 different wines a day.

She learned her lesson on corkage. She would first take wines to retailers/restaurants and open the bottles to be tasted. She, at that time of the day, would not taste them, so the only people who would taste this bottle of wine, which could happen to be corked to some degree, were the ones who would be doing the purchasing. Then, during the afternoon, she would taste this half full bottle with someone and realize that she was presenting for evaluation this corked bottle of wine. The buyers didn't notice, but she did. She'd then scramble to find another bottle so she could rectify the situation. Maybe they didn't know that it was corked, but there's qualities detected either consciously or subconsciously that can indicate that the wine they taste is not as good as something else.

To sum it up, really, is that there's a significantly higher number of people who get corked wine and just drink it compared to the number of people who get a corked wine and bring it to the waiter's attention. Due to the subtlety of it, my wife thinks that they opened a bottle of good wine, mixed it with the last amount of a bottle of corked wine, tossed the empty bad bottle, and served her the glass.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Were you guys ordering by the bottle or by the glass?

If it was a glass pour, then it's possible it was opened the day before and wasn't corked, it just tasted like **** b/c it was starting to oxidize. Sometimes that can take on a slight TCA taste. If you ordered by the bottle, then obviously that can't be what happened.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense taken on this above statement. However, you are wrong in respect to what occurred with that pinot. It was corked - the two glasses were tasted one after another and I am not just confident as to what my palate noted, but especially my wife's palate, who tastes on a conservative average 12-20 different wines a day.

She learned her lesson on corkage. She would first take wines to retailers/restaurants and open the bottles to be tasted. She, at that time of the day, would not taste them, so the only people who would taste this bottle of wine, which could happen to be corked to some degree, were the ones who would be doing the purchasing. Then, during the afternoon, she would taste this half full bottle with someone and realize that she was presenting for evaluation this corked bottle of wine. The buyers didn't notice, but she did. She'd then scramble to find another bottle so she could rectify the situation. Maybe they didn't know that it was corked, but there's qualities detected either consciously or subconsciously that can indicate that the wine they taste is not as good as something else.

To sum it up, really, is that there's a significantly higher number of people who get corked wine and just drink it compared to the number of people who get a corked wine and bring it to the waiter's attention. Due to the subtlety of it, my wife thinks that they opened a bottle of good wine, mixed it with the last amount of a bottle of corked wine, tossed the empty bad bottle, and served her the glass.

Glorious
smile.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Were you guys ordering by the bottle or by the glass?

If it was a glass pour, then it's possible it was opened the day before and wasn't corked, it just tasted like **** b/c it was starting to oxidize. Sometimes that can take on a slight TCA taste. If you ordered by the bottle, then obviously that can't be what happened.

It was by the glass. Oxidized wines, in my experience, lose their acidity and have a walnut and/or raisin taste to them. Corked wines are very unique in odor and taste - like smelling and tasting wet, but especially moldy, cardboard.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was by the glass. Oxidized wines, in my experience, lose their acidity and have a walnut and/or raisin taste to them. Corked wines are very unique in odor and taste - like smelling and tasting wet, but especially moldy, cardboard.

o god that sickening raisin taste... or like a prune. It sticks to the roof of your mouth like molasses.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
o god that sickening raisin taste... or like a prune. It sticks to the roof of your mouth like molasses.
"Prune" is a better descriptor. So yeah, this should be under this threak as well - restaurants pouring long-opened wines by the glass. Also, red wines that are too warm. There's a restaurant that's one of my consistent favorites, Firefly, that is always warm inside (good) but the reds that are left in that ambient temperature are too "vapory" and lose some acidity due to that warmth (bad).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics