1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

[​IMG] - sorry
    [​IMG] I don't care. It was the best winter caprese I've ever had.
    I hear the prime rib is cheaper at 4:30. And the dining room is more Hover-Round accessible.

Not only that, but if you're nice, they might turn Jeopardy on in the Ball State Cafeteria.

2. ama

ama Senior member

I dislike the way chefs are adding "luxury" items to relatively common fare and creating "gourmet" food out it. Why does macaroni and cheese with white truffles need to be on so many menus? Do hamburgers need to be made out of wagyu and served on brioche?

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] I don't care. It was the best winter caprese I've ever had.

Good. Now, if you are going to show up three months early for tomatoes, and three hours early for dinner, why don't you expect them to bring your main dish one course early?

My gripe... entree. Why is it an entree?

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Good. Now, if you are going to show up three months early for tomatoes, and three hours early for dinner, why don't you expect them to bring your main dish one course early?
    B/c I want to be early when it's my call. This restaurant was trying to prematurely ejac all over me. Totally uncool.
    Because vee are zee ugly Amerikan!

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

gripe - why can't the plastic wrap used on cheeses at the grocery store ever stay together enough to be used again? I always have to re-wrap everything because the shit they use is so frail and literally evaporates when you touch it.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

B/c I want to be early when it's my call. This restaurant was trying to prematurely ejac all over me. Totally uncool.

logical assumption: it's totally cool for them to ejac on you but only if it's not premature.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

logical assumption: it's totally cool for them to ejac on you but only if it's not premature.
    Well like I said, the food was good. That gives them some operating room.

8. samus

samus Senior member

I just say it "chip o ta lay", is that correct? [​IMG]

Sounds fine to me [​IMG]

Yes. this. Tying it in with the other thead about the bacon-flecked "cheese," how about those new Kraft ads going on about how their Singles are American cheese. Rah rah patriotism. [​IMG]

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

chee-poht-lay

and this is coming from somebody who actually spick spanish.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

high-end restaurants that don't get and create using fresh local ingredients and settle for formulaic high-end stuff like foie gras, wagyu and foamy shit that were obviously copied off some book.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

my gripe is when you find a hair in your food. not of your color, so you know it fell off of someone else's head, nostril, or armpit (preparing your food with short sleeves w/ low armholes)

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I hear the prime rib is cheaper at 4:30. And the dining room is more Hover-Round accessible.

It also has unlimited salad bar!

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

my gripe is when you find a hair in your food. not of your color, so you know it fell off of someone else's head, nostril, or armpit (preparing your food with short sleeves w/ low armholes)

I was at a restaurant once and found a long black hair in my food. It definitely could not have been mine since my head was shaved real short at the time. When the waitress returned to my table I showed her the hair was in my food and she said, "Oh that has to be your hair since they all wear hats in the kitchen." [​IMG]

14. why

why Senior member

What do you expect when you order tomatoes months out of season at early bird special hour?

+1

Was about to ask why he was ordering tomatoes in the midwest mid-April.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

There's a bunch of fried catfish restaurants back in East Texas that don't serve slices of lemon with the fish and to put into the ubiquitous sweet tea - they instead offer lemon packets. It's like McDonald's Ketchup but with lemon juice inside instead.

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

This thread disappoints for it's too-easy aiming-low-y-ness.

I fully expected it to be a gripe about Screaming Eagle being served 2 degrees too warm.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Nothing pisses me off more, however, than ordering a hamburger rare and it coming out medium. Not medium-rare, but medium.

I remember when I went to Argentina, where they take such great pride in their beef, and all I could get was well-done beef. This was after I was asked for my preferred temperature or me requesting the meat to be cooked rare. There's no taste or texture difference between the grass-fed beef they are so proud of and the meat they serve in prisons when it's cooked to a char.

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This thread disappoints for it's too-easy aiming-low-y-ness.

I fully expected it to be a gripe about Screaming Eagle being served 2 degrees too warm.

Most restaurants serve their reds way too warm and their whites way too cold. The reds should not be at the temperature of the restaurant during winter months and the whites should not be at the same temperature as the beers.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

+1 Was about to ask why he was ordering tomatoes in the midwest mid-April.
    Because I disagree with the whole "only eat what's in season" line of reasoning (as it is often used as a be all, end all for a lot of people) and tomatoes sounded good.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nothing pisses me off more, however, than ordering a hamburger rare and it coming out medium. Not medium-rare, but medium.

I remember when I went to Argentina, where they take such great pride in their beef, and all I could get was well-done beef. This was after I was asked for my preferred temperature or me requesting the meat to be cooked rare. There's no taste or texture difference between the grass-fed beef they are so proud of and the meat they serve in prisons when it's cooked to a char.

I think a lot of places are worried about ground beef temps. I can understand why, but I can't understand why they don't just say "we cook medium and above."