1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you thankful

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Douglas, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

After seeing the devastation in Haiti the problems I have in my life seem absolutely worthless next to what those people have to deal with.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Mercifully, baby A died today at 6pm. At least there is some closure.

I had a sibling who died of several issues one day after giving birth... I never understood how devastating it was when that happened as I was still in my mid-teens but looking back it was a terrible time for my folks and up till now I still wish things could've changed and he lived on and is with us now. I wish your friends a quick recovery from this loss and they move on.

back on topic: seeing my 1-1/2 year old today after staying two nights in the hospital and then her asking me to carry her while she drinks her milk is something I'm thankful for.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I had a sibling who died of several issues one day after giving birth... I never understood how devastating it was when that happened as I was still in my mid-teens but looking back it was a terrible time for my folks and up till now I still wish things could've changed and he lived on and is with us now. I wish your friends a quick recovery from this loss and they move on.

(...)

I was thinking just this same thing earlier this morning. I don't have the same experiences regarding pregnancy and birth as the rest of you, but the more I thought about it the more my heart sank.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

things i am not thankful for: our friend's 5 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia today.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

things i am not thankful for: our friend's 5 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia today.
    WTF [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This is awful to hear. [​IMG]

7. Chaos P. Bennu

Chaos P. Bennu Senior member

8. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Jesus. That's terrible. Best of luck to them. I have a friend, now in his 40s, who is a childhood leukemia survivor. The odds are not spectacular, but they are not impossible, and they are improving all the time.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

that scares the crap out of me

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Guys, my heart goes out to everyone whose life is touched with tragedy.

But I'm going in a different direction here.

I'm thankful for my health, a wife who (for the most part) loves me, steady employment that allows me to pursue other interests, a child who seems to be responding to us and making his life better one day at a time, and the wherewithal and discipline to pursue most anything I want, within reason. I see and know too many people who don't have all of this.

But if you want the tragedy, I could tell you about my good friend who is looking at burying his M-I-L and only daughter in the coming year. I hope it does't work out that way for him, but I'm afraid it will.

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

afaik, leukemia is one of the most treatable cancers out there. I hope your friend's son was diagnosed in its early stages. my sister is an oncologist at md anderson in houston, if your friend need to look around for the best facilities for kids with leukemia I can ask her.

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

My wife. She keeps me sane and she loves me unconditionally. I'm shocked more and more each day that I found her.

I'm also thankful I have a well-paying job, have food on the table, and can live comfortably. I pass people living on the street every day. They have little to eat and I'm looking for a new bike.

I'm also thankful I am not facing any of the horrible situations that many of you currently are. My thoughts are with you.

b

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

thanks. and yes, they caught it as early as you can catch something.

afaik, leukemia is one of the most treatable cancers out there. I hope your friend's son was diagnosed in its early stages. my sister is an oncologist at md anderson in houston, if your friend need to look around for the best facilities for kids with leukemia I can ask her.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Having a job. Having a job I love is fucking awesome, but just given how many unemployed and struggling people I know, I am thankful to be employed.

15. shakeandbake

shakeandbake New Member

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

A friend from middle school who reconnected with me on Facebook just lost a baby daughter this way late last year. I mean, delivered, knew she was about to die, and she passed two days later in her dad's arms. And I didn't make it to the funeral, which upsets me much more than I had expected.

18. gort

gort Senior member

About a year ago I deactivated my old facebook account from college and I made a fresh one. I only re-added a limited number of people to the new one. The other day I logged into the old one just to see what was up, and someone a year younger than me that I knew from high school has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy. I am 28 so she is only 27. Talk about too young for something like that. I feel awful for her.

Definitely thankful for me and my family's health after reading something so heart breaking.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. MrG

MrG Senior member

Reading all of the posts about children makes me eternally grateful that my little man hasn't had any serious health issues. We've had the standard first-year-of-daycare onslaught, but there hasn't been anything serious or life-threatening. The worst we had was a trip to the hospital right after he started daycare. It was stressful and scary, to be sure, but it all turned out fine. I can't imagine having to deal with something really bad.

Also, I'm thankful I decided at some point not to pursue a career in academia. A friend of mine who is a professor was recommended for promotion and tenure after having to scratch and claw for it because of office politics, only to have the university president deny it with no real explanation. I may not like the job I have right now, but, man, that's absurd.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. bullrams

bullrams Senior member

Thankful for being in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities of this great country.
    Thankful for my job and family.
    Thankful for a healthy family.
    Thankful to the members on SF for sharing their knowledge.
    ...so much to be thankful for.