things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

GT, sounds great.

Had a great holiday weekend here too and did a whole bunch of what I had planned...which was nothing. Really needed a slow long weekend to recharge some batteries.

This morning, reviewing some menus and wine lists for places I plan to hit in California over Xmas/NY.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Sounds like a lot of fun. A few years ago I had Thanksgiving dinner at the Palmer House. Lots of good food.

I also had a good holiday. Lots of driving to spend Wednesday and Thursday with family, followed by driving to Chicago Thursday night and staying through yesterday. Had a good time.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Why not just say 3.25 gallons?

Also, I forget, do you prefer Pinto or Black Beans in your chili?

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Dark red kidney beans. Now and forever.

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Or about 12 litres if you live outside Liberia, Myanmar and one other obscure country.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I have watched Gone With the Wind in its entirety. The decade may now officially begin.

7. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Could a movie be more overrated? Perhaps each of or collectively the original Star Wars trilogy but they suffer from recency, I'm sure Gone With the Wind was overrated to an equal or greater degree in its day.

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

It's a great story, beautifully conveyed. I don't feel it is overrated, although I believe there are plenty of similarly great films that are underrated.

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

It is a clichéd story hammily conveyed. It was the Avatar of its day.

10. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I don't think the story is any more hackneyed than Magnificent Ambersons or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It may have spawned cliches, but it itself was not. Your statement about it is incredibly cliche however. I almost can't think of any film more obvious to be contrarian about. Star Wars was a good one though.

11. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

A ah, bordering on the ad hom, play the ball not the man.

Never seen A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, hole in my resume I guess but it looks like crap. Either way Magnificent Ambersons and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn are not feted as all time greats merely good movies. Gone With The Wind may not have been hackneyed in the infancy of motion pictures but it certainly was from the stantpoint of general fiction. Your reply also didn't address the over abundance of cured pork meat in the acting [/swoon]

12. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Also I thought my comparison to Avatar was pretty original, never read it before, but on second thoughts it is so obvious that I'm pretty sure many people must have made it already.

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I haven't seen those movies either. I was talking about the written stories, which, if you are calling cliche, you are wrong. They are sentimental. Maybe that's the word you were looking for? The acting was hammy but not especially so for its day. I don't mind hammy acting however. It would be hard to enjoy basically any Japanese film if I did.

14. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

You should check out Japanese TV! UNcredible ham. My wife is Japanese and she is embarrased by how bad it is. My Japanese is quite poor but sometimes I have to ask her if a show is comedy or drama.

15. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

The weekend was great. Everything about it.

Sunday was particularly good.

I had met someone that had started a Church and he invited me there. So I went on Sunday with the lady I am going out with. It was a bare bones place that had lot of energy. I loved it. No frills, fancy dress, or BS. A lot of outreach ministries and charitable stuff. A very good place.

After that I took the lady to Champs ( a Houston sports bar ) and we watched Texans beat Jacksonville.Her son ( who is my trainer ) joined us, and we all had lunch.

When the game was over I took her to Glenwood Cemetery on Washington. I showed her Craig Cullinan's resting place and that of Howard Hughes. I had been there many, many times. She loves history and was fascinated and enjoyed it. The whole history of Houston can be followed in that Cemetery starting with the Allen brothers. After many "trainers" of a different sort, the lady has been an absolute Godsend. She is a 100 times better than me but it is no problem:)

Then we went to Rice Village and I showed her Rice U and we had Tea. After that back to my Condo and we picked up the concentration camp lady. We then went to a Night for Israel at Beth Yeshuron ( a large Houston Synagogue ). There must have been 2 or 3 thousand people there. The featured speaker was John Hagee who is a huge supporter of Israel. After the evening, which was rousing and enjoyable, the older lady said hello to Hagee who she knew.

Then we went to Kenny and Ziggys, a Houston deli. The old gal made us laugh because she said the restaurant is "semi Kosher" so she would eat there but not have any meat. We bought her blintzes. After a good meal I took the old gal home and she had loved the evening. Then I took the gal I was with to get a gift for her other son and finally the evening was over. What a great day. And to think, just 3 weeks ago, I was starting threads on stress!