1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Went to doctor today, my consultation/prescription plus non-covered vitamin shot was about $30 after a 70% Japanese gov't co-pay reimbursement that will come in the mail, meaning the whole thing without insurance was still only $100. I've gotten the same exact treatment and prescription at small-town clinics in America in the past for $500 on up when it was some sort of optional non co-pay thing on my policy years ago, I think the $500 bill was in 2001, so that was 10 years ago to boot. A tube of skin cream that I paid $30 for today for cost me $200 in America years ago. Needless to say, I am very happy with this situation.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The sweating part pissed me off.

Thanks Piob!

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Mine too, and, um, me too!

Ah well, even if I don't get a present, congrats piob and joff!

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

4. impolyt_one

My birthday is on 12/25, turning 30 years old... not expecting much in the way of presents at this point even though i had some grandiose ideas earlier in the year :(

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

im also turning 30 at my next birthday. im trying to bitch about it as much as i can throughout the year so it doesnt hit me like a ton a bricks.

6. impolyt_one

just realized now that it's a month away, fuck! I'm pretty sure I'm not getting watches now unless I buy one myself. :(

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

30 was a tough year for me. That was really RIP youth. Life got sort of serious and I stopped fucking around for several years. Glad that wore off eventually! :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Lucky you...

I'm over 40...:embar:

9. impolyt_one

I saw a Japanese TV documentary about Micronesian prehistoric stones and now I am obsessed, I think a trip to Micronesia is in order for my birthday.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Really?

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

LL Bean Customer Service - They really do have a no questions asked return policy.

I just exchanged some roof rack bike carriers. They were great, but I didn't realize they had the kind that holds the whole bike (instead of taking off the front wheel) for only $20 more. I called monday and they started up the exchange order and had them shipped out the next day. All free shipping.

I bought them at the flagship store in Maine, and mentioned that I could email them a scan of the receipt - but they didn't even ask for the receipt.

The non-LL Bean branded gear may sell for a little more compared to sellers like amazon, but you have that guarantee to fall back on.

12. impolyt_one

yes, really. I am pretty jaded about traveling, I have spent all my life on planes and the only thing that makes me happy is to buy cigarettes for $10 off per carton, and getting a surprisingly decent drunk food meal on the plane. I had this omelette swimming in a 4-cheese veloute this summer after drinking tons of wine and it was somehow one of the most satisfying things I've ever eaten, my life was shortened but it felt so good.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I went to Easter Island and loved it. do it

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

30 was intersting for me, not in a good way. I didn't really have a crisis or anything, but I got a tatoo, and then I pretty much decided that I was old and I could let myself go to shit. which was a mistake. but I didn't feel a crisis at the time - although, thinking about it, there was probably something going on.

40 was pretty smooth for me, I had just started a new job and had my twins, so my birthday passed smoothly without any introspection.

45 is coming up in 2 months, I don't have any issues with that. we'll see how 50 is.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

30 was fine...

40 was ok...

Now....