things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. otc

otc Senior member

New floor is halfway done...other half goes down on monday :)

It's not perfect and I would probably consider it unacceptable if I owned the unit and was paying for it...couple flaws, not the best matching of end color where the planks meet, and probably too glossy of a poly to stay looking good...but it is solid, not slanted, and bright and modern looking with its slightly lighter color and wider planks.

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Huh, cool. Looks like fun. I assume it's in Hershey, PA? How far is that from B-more?

Stella is a pretty widely available beer. Probably the best beer you'll find in your standard hotel lounge.

Glad to hear that you are finally able to put all of this behind you. You've been dealing with this for several months now, correct?

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

about an hour 15 iirc. i hope the baby sleeps. *fingers crossed*

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Football and fantasy sports. I travel a lot so it's comforting when I can stay connected to my buddies and coworkers through the NFL

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

very happy for you - I know that you were a little worried.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I had a great week. my son gave me great pride this week, aside from being elected treasurer and then saying that he would support me in my old age, we got back the results from the latest standardized testing that he did, and he blew it away.

this was a great weekend - friday we had a party for a friend who was recognized by her place of work, saturday we hopped between friends succas, visiting 4 differnt friends to sit in their succa, then, we had a business meal in one of the best steakhouses in chicago (I took my wife). sunday, had breakfast with my kids, a soccer game with my girls, went to a fantastic art show of soviet war posters, then met a very old friend of mine (we've been friends 30 years) for dinner. life is good

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Great news E. Good luck with the headhunter.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Gonna try to catch the Yomiuri Giants game on Saturday, but they're 4 games behind so I guess it's their last chance this year. :eek:

Alter's recommendation on the soba hull pillow has been saving my neck when I sleep. I feel awesome. Highly recommended to people who have neck problems. I used to pull my neck muscles in my sleep all the time because I had a shitty bed and a shitty pillow, I feel great now though.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

D - which one did you get? There are so many out there I haven't been able to make heads or tails of them.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

hope you catch that fish, e. good luck!

:slayer: being stuck at work until you question your damn existence makes you appreciate your family by a hundred fold. hope you enjoyed the park. did you guys toast the smores mascot?

very cool z!

11. impolyt_one

I got one from Muji, it's really quite small actually, maybe 12" by 14" or smaller. It just takes on the shape of your head and then kinda stays like that, has some channel stiches in the middle to hold the fill in place better too. One problem is that they're loud in your ears if you move the soba hulls while sleeping, but I'm deaf so that really isn't an issue for me. :eek:
    You need to look at Soba-gara pillows (which are all pretty much the same, and not sobakawa, they are completely different things.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

How do you sleep on such a small pillow? Seems like you'd go rolling off it if you moved around at all. I checked Amazon for Sobagaru and found these:

http://www.jlifeinternational.com/houseitems/futon/pillow/pillow_e.html - got to love a company called JLIfe

and this one

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Buckw...3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318831431&sr=1-3

Although, I think I have a moral revulsion to buying from a company called Beans72.

There certainly don't seem to be as many of these Sobagaru pillows as there are of the Sobakawa varieties. Oddly enough, there isn't a single thing on eBay for Sobagaru.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

13. impolyt_one

The second one looks to be a combo of buckwheat hulls and cotton fluff, so that seems to be backpedaling there. THe Jlife ones look good I guess, except the neck pillows are awkward, mine is rectangular.

The thing about the small sized pillow is that it's not really to lose your entire skull to the pillow as you sink into it, it's just there to cradle the point in the back of your skull and then the upper to middle neck, and since it's not too tall the transition from the mid neck to the back on the mattress is not bad. The pillow is hard and forms a shape like I said, so it just forms a nice support for back sleepers.

i am a side sleeper but I am trying to rid myself of the habit and force myself to return to back sleeping, because side sleeping is terrible on my body. I'm too skinny but I have fairly wide shoulders, so side sleeping makes my spine 'S' down, one of my lungs or pecs gets all fucked up from bearing weight and hurts enormously, it's hard on the hip I sleep on, and then my legs are skinny so that my top knee buckles downward like a knock knee while I sleep and that is excruciating as well, it leaves me with huge black bruises about 6" wide on the side of my knee. WIth regular pillows, that side sleeping used to make me pull my neck muscle about once every 1-2 months, and I'd be debilitated for like 4 days, not able to move my neck at all. I even had a chiro next my house in Seoul but that mf'er wouldn't ever prescribe me anything but extra strength Tylenol, when what I was wanting was codeine. I'd hobble up to the pharmacy and get some ibuprofens and those were the best I could do.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

14. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I haven't been drunk since Tuesday - probably the longest I've gone without booze since June/July, and the past two months I've been trashed 3-4 days/nights a week. This past weekend was the first weekend that I wasn't drunk for much of the weekend. It's been nice going to school not being hungover. I'm thinking of going for a run tomorrow, something I haven't done in a while. I've also rediscovered my love for Folk music (ive been listening to all this dance, dub shit for awhile).

15. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Not necessarily happy, but definitely amused. Find friends on facebook just turned up 8 SFers as the first 8 results. It's interesting seeing people.