Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I think it's time for a come back.

*cue eye of the tiger song music*

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I don't play sports, the only sport I play is shopping. But there's a lot of walking involved in that....running sometimes if there's a sale.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Have a jog first...

I haven't played club football since I was 17 and started rugby...

After 10 years on complete sport abstinence , I have started runnig 2 years ago and I did play a few games...

You need a certain fitness level to enjoy the game...

If you're knackered after 5 minutes , you will hate it...

The technical skills are still there just the lungs...

I still think I'm 20 and can go up and down the field for 90 minutes...

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I never played, outside of a handful of times in PE class. I picked up the sport in December or January and I'm a few weeks shy of 35. If you're too afraid of pickup, try to get into a corporate or intramural league. You'll eventually play your way into shape. And if you do suck, you won't get a lot of playing time to start with anyway. But you'd be amazed at how fast your cardio will improve. I can actually play back-to-back 90 minute games at defender now, and that's in the 100+ degree Florida heat. It's really helped my basketball game.

I was laughingly bad at first and I still have no dribbling skills and very little touch. Know that you suck, joke about it with your teammates, and you'll be fine.

The alternative is to be "going-on-thirty" and already resigned to being out-of-shape the rest of your life. Get out and play a little, you'll enjoy it and meet great people. And the coed leagues have some :drool: women.

Not the worst advice. You will enjoy it more/get less discouraged if you're in shape or, at least, prepared for how out-of-shape you are.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I am gonna definitively pick up some exercise very soon, been kinda stretching out my long hibernated body for a few weeks now. I hope to be doing a morning run with my dog in Tokyo around this time in two months, when I get to a place where I'm not guaranteed to get hit by a very fast moving car. Will probably start a very tiny goal, like 1K without stopping, and then bump it 500M every other day til I get to 3K and then bump a K a week after that til I can jog for an hour without dying.

6. impolyt_one

Also, this blog has me dying. The satire is thick yet transparent, just honest to god weird, and actually pretty well versed. I might be on the late train but I was reading this blog all night last night til about 9am, just couldn't stop. The Tokyo guys will appreciate it most, this blog is apparently written by Fang66's gay sarcastic twin I guess, but the topics are great.

http://raretreats.livejournal.com/

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Not the worst advice. You will enjoy it more/get less discouraged if you're in shape or, at least, prepared for how out-of-shape you are.

[/quote]

I was a box-to-box midfielder and my game was based on passing and pressing the opponent...

I need to be fit to play my game...

I used to tackle and run non-stop all match...

If you're a central defender or a striker , you can get away with limited level of fitness..

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I was a box-to-box midfielder and my game was based on passing and pressing the opponent...

I need to be fit to play my game...

I used to tackle and run non-stop all match...

If you're a central defender or a striker , you can get away with limited level of fitness..[/quote]

Yeah, the bad thing is he won't get put in the middle or striker, they require too much skill. I speak from experience. :laugh: When I'm not in goal, I'm always on the defensive wing because I'm pretty fast but have absolutely no touch (although sometimes they just have me mark the other team's playmaker). My game is all hustle. I love the wing and deep kicks. Nothing is more primal then chasing down someone/thing, I swear I feel like a fucking cheetah sometimes. Chase it down, boot it as hard as I can the other way, it's awesome.

The only shitty thing is my leagues don't allow slide tackles. I've never done one, but it looks like a hell of a good time.

9. otc

otc Senior member

There are a ton of sick bicycles coming out of japan right now...this leads me to believe that they must have some amount of a bicycling scene there.

I know that they have some cyclocross action...which is a ton of fun.

10. impolyt_one

I think that's either happening in the sticks or its just another Japanese thing for show n no go... where I think my apartment is gonna be is probably near a main street-level 6-lane artery and then tons of Japanese sidestreets, ie so small I would worry about ripping the side mirrors off a Mini and knocking over 3,000 women's bikes. :eek: Don't even see motorcyclists down in the busy parts of Tokyo anymore. :O

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

New computer parts arriving tomorrow. :)

Only mild downer is I forgot to order and aftermarket CPU heat sink and thermal gel. Means I'll have to wait a week to OC it much. :(

Reading reports of folks OC'ing my chip to 5.2. Yeesh, the heat.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Why bother OC, pio? Totally unnecessary these days. Silence > extra heat and noise imo. The single best place to put money is an SSD drive (if everything else in yours ystem is pretty good).

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

My grandma's house is getting added to the National Registry of Historic Places.

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

lol at Piob managing to find a way to be an even bigger nerd than GQGeek.

So the cathedral just had a special mass for the Assumption. Started the church's 75th anniversary celebration, was said at the steps of the rectory where the first mass at was said. Two parishioners who attended the first mass spoke. They had these great, genteel aristocratic southern accents you don't hear too much anymore.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This is wonderful, until it comes time for renovation and repairs. Having to submit plans for approval to the local Historic Preservation Commission for minor things such as replacement gutters or exterior painting of the house trim or body can be a pain. Seriously, though, this is a good thing because it preserves a bit of history and helps to maintain the property values in the neighborhood. Congrats to grandma!