• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

things that are making you happy

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
80s "rock" is a rather difficult category. So much was happening to music and electronics. I'd bring up the Boss but I'm not really a fan of Springsteen. But Bruce is a lot like Tom. If your dad was into 80's metal and rock, he might have been listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn as well. There are some interesting Prog Rock choices as well. Rush and Yes come to mind. #9 has an older suggestion that is smashing as well. I'd add Neil Young to the list too.
Rush absolutely. Saw them twice, I was a child of the 80s.
Springsteen sucks.
The Damned
Buzzcocks
Duran Duran
Def Lep- saw them High and Dry tour. Elbows on the stage, they were the OPENER.
Adam and the Ants
Styx ( nostalgia )
The Cars
Billy Idol/ The Cult saw them same show.
Queen
Gary Numan
Depeche Mode
Triumph, for Peebs.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched "Eurotrip" with the 16-year-old and received the following review: "You're normally full of shit but that is in fact a quality movie."

I've probably told this story before, but a few years ago I was at a rave in a former soviet prison in Estonia.

DJ drops Scotty Doesn't Know and the whole place goes wild. Everybody is singing along and knows all the words.

Felt like bratislava.

Edit: and Kristin Kreuk :inlove:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've probably told this story before, but a few years ago I was at a rave in a former soviet prison in Estonia.

DJ drops Scotty Doesn't Know and the whole place goes wild. Everybody is singing along and knows all the words.

Felt like bratislava.
Once in awhile, I still find myself saying.
"Miami Wice, #1 show!!"

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What was crazy is that we found out about it the old fashioned way.

This was in like 2015, but did we hear about the party from some random tinder match? No.

We were at some empty outdoor bar/art center thing near our Airbnb and we kept noticing small clumps of people walk down the street and head off in a weird direction in the dark where we were pretty sure there was nothing. Later realized every new clump represented a tram coming to a nearby stop.

Eventually we decided to just walk in that direction too. As we got closer, more streams of people were filtering in from other directions and thumping bass started to be audible. Found someone to explain it in english, handed over done euros, and in we went.

Ended up finding some photos posted to Facebook by the organizers... I'm somewhere in these
1980123_632982670155494_2481892126486633407_o.jpg

This is probably when they dropped Scotty Doesn't Know
10383819_632983726822055_8317400995278658360_o.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spotify doesn't seem to have Hall & Oates greatest hits album which is too bad because it's all killer, no filler. H2O is probably the place to start, or just play their most popular songs on Spotify (except the Christmas song which is inexplicably at the top right now).

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The Eagles. America. Bob Dylan. Bruce Hornsby. John Cougar / John Mellencamp. Flashdance and Footloose soundtracks.

Throw in a bit of Harry Chapin and Jim Croce when you’re feeling mellow.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I feel like I remember him talking about John Mellencamp at some point. As I listen to some of this I recognize some of the songs because they were big hits but I was more into 90s hip hop then crappy pop punk in the 2000s. My musical tastes are garbage

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Rush absolutely. Saw them twice, I was a child of the 80s.
Springsteen sucks.
The Damned
Buzzcocks
Duran Duran
Def Lep- saw them High and Dry tour. Elbows on the stage, they were the OPENER.
Adam and the Ants
Styx ( nostalgia )
The Cars
Billy Idol/ The Cult saw them same show.
Queen
Gary Numan
Depeche Mode
Triumph, for Peebs.
Not a bad starter list. I didn't realize you, @jbarwick , wanted general 80s rock so just mentioned Petty's Greatest as a starter for him. As usual Edina phails as Petty is vastly underrated by many as he flew under the radar. He was a major badass, way before Lars and his fight with Napster, and ended up in bankruptcy due to his fight with his record label. Guy had major hits in four decades. His track record speaks for itself.

Back to 80s rock:

U2, War and The Joshua Tree have to be on any 80s rock list.
Guns and Roses, Appetite for Destruction.
ZZ Top put out some fun stuff in the 80s.
The Clash, London Calling.
The Police is another band that needs to be on any 80s list.
The Smiths/Morrissey
INXS
Dio
R.E.M.
Bon Jovi
RHCP
Heart
The Pretenders, another "needs to be"
Van Halen

That should get you going.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as he flew under the radar.
"In his career, he sold more than 80 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Petty and the Heartbreakers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. "

Oh. Ok.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"In his career, he sold more than 80 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Petty and the Heartbreakers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. "

Oh. Ok.
Figuratively, Edina, figuratively. He's just not the first person that tends to pop into people's heads when talking such matters. Also, in pure phail style, you just proved your prior comment completely wrong, so good job there.

ETA: I'm also sad I did not get to see him one last time but this also makes me happy we had such great tickets for R40 as missing Rush's last tour would have been tragic.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's just not the first person that tends to pop into people's heads when talking such matters.
I mean, this is a pretty poor metric.

And if we're relying on commercial success as an indicator of quality, Petty is below Backstreet Boys.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I mean, this is a pretty poor metric.

And if we're relying on commercial success as an indicator of quality, Petty is below Backstreet Boys.
An indicator your brought up which you are now arguing against in the most unusual strawman I've seen in a long time. This is turning into an Edina hat trick.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An indicator your brought up which you are now arguing against in the most unusual strawman I've seen in a long time. This is turning into an Edina hat trick.
You....do know I was only saying if you sold 80m records it's hard to claim the artist is underrated...That's literally what I posted. The idea that sales is an indicator of quality is not something I think you'd want to stand on, hence Backstreet Boys.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You....do know I was only saying if you sold 80m records it's hard to claim the artist is underrated...That's literally what I posted. The idea that sales is an indicator of quality is not something I think you'd want to stand on, hence Backstreet Boys.
But again, I didn't stand on that, you introduced it. I did mention "major hits in four decades" though as indicative. How are the BBs doing there?

Anyway, back to suggestions for @jbarwick: Prince. Don't know how I forgot him in the above list.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Name a popular song of his other than Free Fallin, Into the Great Wide Open or You Wreck Me? Hell, I don’t even remember some of his best songs and most were never chart toppers but they were all great tunes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.