• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

things that are making you happy

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In the weirdest acquisition of all time my business unit has been “acquired” by our mother ship. We used to be a 501(c)3, now we are part of a publicly traded company, by way of a $300M donation to the foundation we spun off a few years ago.

We’ve largely operated as a social enterprise so operationally it isn’t that big of a change, but it’s kind of nerve wracking to go from a 1,000 person company where I was the fiftieth hire 8 years ago to joining a 35,000 person company.

The upside that has me happy today is that after 20 years working in the tech industry I’m finally getting shares that are worth more than zero.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Of course if I exercise them now I’ll be buying near an all time high, just in time for a crash.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the weirdest acquisition of all time my business unit has been “acquired” by our mother ship. We used to be a 501(c)3, now we are part of a publicly traded company, by way of a $300M donation to the foundation we spun off a few years ago.

We’ve largely operated as a social enterprise so operationally it isn’t that big of a change, but it’s kind of nerve wracking to go from a 1,000 person company where I was the fiftieth hire 8 years ago to joining a 35,000 person company.

The upside that has me happy today is that after 20 years working in the tech industry I’m finally getting shares that are worth more than zero.
Being a tech employee outside the valley means I don't even get offered options.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Being a tech employee outside the valley means I don't even get offered options.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The mothership just fucked over anyone going for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Hopefully the shares are worth more than what would be forgiven.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The mothership just fucked over anyone going for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Hopefully the shares are worth more than what would be forgiven.
I’d be really surprised if anyone fits that bill. We pay competitive tech industry salaries that I’d assume would be above any cap on a program like that.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Options are effectively worthless unless you’re a founder or are otherwise sitting on top of the pile.

I’ve gone through two start-ups and didn’t exercise my options for either. From company #1 I may have missed out on about $2000 before taxes. The second company paid out less than the options cost in the first place.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d be really surprised if anyone fits that bill. We pay competitive tech industry salaries that I’d assume would be above any cap on a program like that.
There’s no cap, so if someone had terrible loans, it’s possible. Unlikely, though.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.