things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have found that popcorn has exactly the right fiber to give me wonderful bowel movements. I took my son to see "iron man". he really enjoyed the movie, I liked seeing scarlett johansen and gweneth paltrow, seeing my son happy, and having a wonderful bowel movement afterward. the movie, eh.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

After two miscarriages and a recent try with IUI, my wife got a positive pregnancy test this morning. I'm really happy, but pretty fucking nervous at the same time. Once we get through the first trimester I hope we'll be alright.

Congratulations and I hope all goes well for you and the Mrs.

Yeah, I was terrible about practicing when I was younger, and that applied to all of the instruments I played. I knew just enough music theory and had just enough raw talent to hide it when I played with others, but in retrospect I wish I'd learned more. I can still pick up a guitar and play, but I wish I had a stronger grasp of theory.

Boy, you're accumulating quite the axe collection.

Hehe, I've never been to the Cheetah, and you've pretty much made it certain that I never will. I actually met PRS back when I was in Florida. He was talking about the cluster of clubs out in Tampa (along Dale Mabry if you're familiar), and they are known as being pretty choice. One of them even got a shout-out in that old Wyclef song! In retrospect, it was a little odd (which is probably why I remember it). It was a bunch of 16 year old longhairs all excited to me the guy who created these awesome guitars, and a considerable portion of his contribution to the conversation was "you guys have some really great strip clubs around here."

(...)

I'm getting the hang of the scales now and can play A minor pentatonic from memory (mostly). Fingering is still tricky though and I'm experimenting with different fingerings at the moment. The little one has a bad case of guitar envy.

One of the reasons I picked it back up is to reinforce music as a point of interest for him. It's one thing to listen to a song, but to pick up and instrument and play...is a matter of work and diligence, and I'm learning that patterning is important in development: if I want my boy to read, I ought to regularly read in front of him. If I want my boy to practice guitar, I ought to regularly practice with him. However, the accumulation pretty well stops with the Gibson: I don't want to set a precedent that any hobby automatically becomes a collection. That I think leads to a pattern of dissatisfaction.

Man, strip clubs were a part of every consulting trip back in the day, I went mostly to go along but never got hooked enough to want to go once I got home. I think I've been to two clubs in Houston, and both were bachelor parties.

Thanks guys. Couldn't have expected a better result. I guess IT people don't need to unionize to keep all the jobs from going to India after all. [​IMG]

I batted 1000 with my resume btw. I got callbacks for every job I applied to + a bunch of unsolicited calls from recruiters. Admittedly that was only 6 or 7 but given how little time I was looking, I am very pleased because this was the first real job hunt i've had to do without making use of any contacts. It's good to know I'll never have trouble finding work... I owe lots of thanks to some people here for advice in the cover letters thread, fredfred especially. I'm SO happy I don't have to burn through tons of savings.

I'm glad to hear you've done so well. Please, though, don't mention the RPG's in the office until others bring it up first. [​IMG]

3. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Had a major storm which brought cooler weather with it. Really nice.

Also have a new coffee supplier in the office: better coffee and better service, thus far. Man, the old stuff tasted like it was brewed in one of my old running shoes.

5. S. Paul

S. Paul Senior member

Had a major storm which brought cooler weather with it. Really nice.

Also have a new coffee supplier in the office: better coffee and better service, thus far. Man, the old stuff tasted like it was brewed in one of my old running shoes.

Better coffee is always a good thing!

My brother and his newlywed wifey are flying in to visit tonight until Sunday, I'm taking a day or two off work and we are going to hit the beach and have some fun. We always have a blast and he's finishing his residency in a month so as soon as he moves and becomes a full-time Doc, I suspect his vacations will be limited.

SP

6. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Spectacular summer weather in Philly today.

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

My final law school grades came out today. After finishing my first year of law school just barely in the bottom half of the class, I'm pretty sure this last set of grades will have me graduating with honors. Still have to wait several weeks for them to come out with official class rankings (I'm not sure why it takes so long after they have everyone's grades), but judging from the class rankings last semester I will have made it. Keep your fingers crossed!

Also, I can honestly say I never took a class because the grading scale was easy. At my school the grades in the transactions (as opposed to litigatgion based) track are typically lower, and I managed to improve my stock while in the transactional concentration. Feels good.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm glad to hear you've done so well. Please, though, don't mention the RPG's in the office until others bring it up first. [​IMG]

Haha. I'd never bring that up anyway. The last thing you want at work, when you're home sick for the day, is to have people start thinking your skipping work to use up your sick days and play mmorpgs.

Anyway, it's early days still (ok, first day), but my boss is pretty great, actually. He's a very educated guy and we have tons of interests in common, so on a personal level things couldn't have turned out better. I was introduced to over 100 people today and i've already forgotten most names, but I see the road ahead and i think i'm really going to enjoy my time there. And there's lots to do and i'll have tons of freedom.

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Congrats, GQGeek.

10. EL72

EL72 Senior member

G33k got a job. Went in for an interview today to meet with the IT manager. Then they decided to keep me there to meet the VP and CFO. was in interviews for 3 hours... everyone liked me and I was given an offer on the spot. Good company, pleasant work environment, good people and there's a lot of projects coming up that I can dig in to. Plus I'll have almost complete autonomy. Very pleased.

First non-phone interview btw. I am awesome.

Looks like Toronto is working out well for you. Good on you for having the courage to make the move and kudos on making it work. I think you'll like it here and you're in a great neighborhood too.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'm on a streak. Life has just been pretty damn good all year, except for almost losing my brother and cat. Good news is, both have bounced back and are enjoying life. Just like me [​IMG]

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I'm under a new management structure where I now have four bosses, who rotate supervision of me. Yes, it is as big a clusterf*ck as it sounds.

Anyway, three of the bosses, and one in particular are very competent, sharp, and work their tails off. The fourth boss is a classic angry white man (although he's liberal) and utterly lazy and incompetent. Let's call him Bill. Upper-level management dislikes him, but he's a state employee, so.... The other three bosses happen to be black.

Anyway, we have a staff meeting this morning where the head of another department have a brief presentation on a mundane topic. It's one of those deals where a person is asked to make a presentation on an incredibly boring topic, does her best, but is still boring because of the subject matter. Anyway, this department head, let's call her Michelle, is Asian.

So after the meeting, a group of about ten of us get on the elevator and someone makes the comment "wow, that presentation was brutal." Bill says, "Michelle just got that job because she's Asian. This place is nuts." Awkward silence ensued, - our workforce is about half black and Michelle is the only Asian, and Ed's comment makes no sense on any level and seems awfully mean-spirited.

I pipe in with, "Well, Bill, based on how our department runs, I think we need all the affirmative action we can get." One of my black supervisors in back begins chuckling and soon most of the department is laughing.

Bill can't fire me, but I have a feeling a lot of shitty assignments are coming my way. Oh well, it was still worth it. [​IMG]

13. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I read a story in the paper this morning about a young entrepreneur who has launched a brand new (to Canada) product and is having some success despite the enormous challenges. It took me a few minutes to realize why it sounded familiar. This kid was in an entrepreneurship class I was teaching 6-7 yrs ago and wrote the b-plan for his venture in that class. He was one of best students in the class and I was very impressed with him and his b-plan. I'm glad that he followed through and is making it happen.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I read a story in the paper this morning about a young entrepreneur who has launched a brand new (to Canada) product and is having some success despite the enormous challenges. It took me a few minutes to realize why it sounded familiar. This kid was in an entrepreneurship class I was teaching 6-7 yrs ago and wrote the b-plan for his venture in that class. He was one of best students in the class and I was very impressed with him and his b-plan. I'm glad that he followed through and is making it happen.

That's great. Must make you feel good as a teacher to see this. What kind of product is that?

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I'm under a new management structure where I now have four bosses, who rotate supervision of me. Yes, it is as big a clusterf*ck as it sounds.

Anyway, three of the bosses, and one in particular are very competent, sharp, and work their tails off. The fourth boss is a classic angry white man (although he's liberal) and utterly lazy and incompetent. Let's call him Bill. Upper-level management dislikes him, but he's a state employee, so.... The other three bosses happen to be black.

Anyway, we have a staff meeting this morning where the head of another department have a brief presentation on a mundane topic. It's one of those deals where a person is asked to make a presentation on an incredibly boring topic, does her best, but is still boring because of the subject matter. Anyway, this department head, let's call her Michelle, is Asian.

So after the meeting, a group of about ten of us get on the elevator and someone makes the comment "wow, that presentation was brutal." Bill says, "Michelle just got that job because she's Asian. This place is nuts." Awkward silence ensued, - our workforce is about half black and Michelle is the only Asian, and Ed's comment makes no sense on any level and seems awfully mean-spirited.

I pipe in with, "Well, Bill, based on how our department runs, I think we need all the affirmative action we can get." One of my black supervisors in back begins chuckling and soon most of the department is laughing.

Bill can't fire me, but I have a feeling a lot of shitty assignments are coming my way. Oh well, it was still worth it. [​IMG]

I feel a new thread coming on.